Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

UND Can Keep Sioux Nickname -- for awhile

This article from the Grank Forks Herald:

[size=18px]COLLEGE NICKNAMES: NCAA lifts restrictions[/size]
    NCAA says temporary move allows more time to review new information from UND
    By David Dodds
    Herald Staff Writer

The NCAA will postpone meetings set for next week to discuss a second appeal of restrictions on UND's Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

The Indianapolis-based college sports association also said it will waive postseason restrictions for UND and other affected schools for about four more months while it sorts out new information.

Aug. 5, the NCAA put UND on a list of 18 schools that it said used "hostile or abusive" American Indian nicknames, logos and images. A Feb. 1 deadline was set for schools to shed their controversial monikers or face restrictions that include barring the imagery on team uniforms during the postseason and prohibiting schools from hosting NCAA tournaments.

The NCAA set up an appeal process for schools to fight the decision. UND had one appeal turned back already Sept. 28, and it was preparing for its second and final appeal to be heard Monday in Indianapolis, when news of the delay arrived.

The change is especially good for UND's women's basketball team, which at 16-0 is off to its second-best start in school history. If the Sioux are ranked No. 1 in the North Central Region at the end of the regular season, they'll likely play host to the region tournament.

Their dominant record likely would give them home-court advantage in postseason play up until the NCAA Women's Elite Eight, set for March in Arkansas. Had the restrictions started in February, as scheduled, the UND women wouldn't have enjoyed that advantage.

They and other UND sports teams, such as the men's hockey team, now also will be able to wear the school's nickname and logo on their uniforms in postseason play.

Phil Harmeson, senior associate to the UND president, told the Herald that the school received a fax from Bernard Franklin, NCAA senior vice president for governance and membership, late Wednesday, stating that the NCAA will postpone the appeal hearings and the restrictions until its next round of governance meetings April 27.

The letter follows a 35-page "rebuttal" issued by UND officials to the NCAA on Dec. 23 in response to an NCAA staff committee review that had picked apart the school's second appeal. The committee, in a 15-page memo dated Dec. 9, had recommended that UND be kept on the restrictions list.

Harmeson feels that UND turned some heads at the NCAA in the rebuttal issued about 10 days later and caused the organization to re-evaluate the process. He said UND argued that the NCAA violated its own constitutional bylaws when the executive level of the association decided to impose the postseason restriction without allowing the matter to be addressed first legislatively.

"Clearly, we have raised significant questions of materiality that they need to deal with," Harmeson said.

The NCAA's Legislative Assembly, comprising representation from all member schools, meets annually to deal with such issues, Harmeson said. The next assembly also is set to convene early next week in Indianapolis.

Franklin's fax to UND said the NCAA wants to thoroughly review the new information.

"North Dakota's reply does, in fact, include additional information to which the (NCAA's) staff review committee wishes to respond," Franklin wrote.

"However, given the extremely short timeframe between receipt of the North Dakota reply and the upcoming hearing, the staff committee recommended postponement of the hearing procedure."

Harmeson got the NCAA letter as he and school Athletic Director Tom Buning and Betty Ralston, UND senior women's administrator, were getting ready to take off for Indianapolis to take part in the upcoming NCAA meetings.

"You never know what the NCAA is going to do in the long run, but, clearly, they need some time to work through the issues that were raised, especially by North Dakota," Harmeson said.

"So, for those who thought (UND's appeal) would be rejected out of hand, it clearly did not happen."

Franklin wrote that the revised timeline would pertain to all schools involved in the Native American imagery appeal process, including North Dakota.

Harmeson said UND continues to keep its options open in case the NCAA rejects its final appeal, and legal action becomes the next course of action.

The NCAA rejected UND's first appeal because of expressed opposition by two of the three Sioux Indian nations that have territory in North Dakota. Other Sioux tribes in South Dakota also are on record opposing the nickname, as well as the United Tribes of North Dakota, comprising members of the five federally recognized tribes in the state.

UND has maintained throughout that it uses the symbols with the "utmost respect and class." The school has tried to prove it with supporting evidence in its numerous correspondences with NCAA.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Re: UND Can Keep Sioux Nickname -- for awhile

It doesn't matter either way ... they will always .............. SUCK !!!!!!!

GO BISON ! :lol:

(lets see muchluv come around for that one as I'm sure he will see this thread)

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

It's pretty simple to me...if the tribes say NO, then it's NO...but if they say YES, then it is YES!

Obviously, the university is not paying the tribes enough money to keep the name...they should take a few lessons from Florida State...money talks or the nickname walks!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"mnjamie" wrote:
    It doesn't matter either way ... they will always .............. SUCK !!!!!!!

GO BISON ! :lol:

(lets see muchluv come around for that one as I'm sure he will see this thread)
    You got that right brother!

Bison rock!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

The Gophers rock them both! Bison and Sioux suck! Now them there's is fightin' words!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    The Gophers rock them both! Bison and Sioux suck! Now them there's is fightin' words!
    Shut up you Badger fan in the closet! :razz:

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    It's pretty simple to me...if the tribes say NO, then it's NO...but if they say YES, then it is YES!

Obviously, the university is not paying the tribes enough money to keep the name...they should take a few lessons from Florida State...money talks or the nickname walks!
    Yeah thats right!!!! And come to think of it as an American of Norwegian descent, I dont want the Vikings using my ansestors name the way they do. I think I will sue unless I get paid off they shouldnt be able to use it either.

While we are at it I think I will file a lawsuit on behalf of North American Black Bears as I feel pretty confident that the Chicago franchise didnt get prior approval of the Bear population in this country before using that obviously derogatory name and image for their franchise. Boy I can wait for the PC conclusion of this, every team will have to be named for colors or letters or something lest some entity be offended.

You would have thought that by now the United Foodhandlers Union would have gotten Green Bays name done away with. I mean after all they are organized, unlike us Norse ancestors who are just spread around this country in a random nature.

SamDawg84 Guest

they should keep thy name. who really cares wat it is. its up to the school and stuff to decide. not the people who run the collage football thing

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

They may get to keep their nickname but they will get sweep again by the Gophers next weekend at Mariucci.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"SamDawg84" wrote:
    they should keep thy name. who really cares wat it is. its up to the school and stuff to decide. not the people who run the collage football thing
    I love the irony of the NCAA trying to force their PC crap down everyones throats meanwhile their headquarters are located in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Indiana means "Land of the Indians"

Indianapolis means "City of the land of the Indians"

So if they truly "Care" as they would have you believe they should either move their offices or get the city's name and state's name changed.

When the city officially becomes "Nativamericanapolis", and the state "Nativeamericana" then the NCAA can spread their crap at will, but until then shut your collective pie holes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast