Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PhxFan is offline Pro-Bowler

the twins vrs yankees al playoffs

"diesavike" wrote:
    cause I think they need to be taken down a notch, and they need to be shown that money can't buy you the best team. Not that it would help though, George would probably go out next year and spend even more, gets kinda old.
    Not the case with the DiamondBacks this year...they dropped alot of salary, and traded away key players. And it shows, that are touted as a major league minor-league team

IAVIKEGAL is offline Rookie

Go Twins!!

PhxFan is offline Pro-Bowler

These ESPN guys don't give the Twins much hope.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ostseasonpicks

pudgesoprano is offline Asst. Coach

espn never give the twins hope
    Here s the most important thing: You can NEVER lose your sense of humor. Without that, you ve got NOTHING. (Divinci) James Belushi

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    I think you will still get to see the Red Sox lose. The Angels are hot and the Sox pitching is not what it was. I think Schilling will win his but the Angels bats will put the ball out of the yard with the other pitchers, even pedro.

I think that the last series w/Yanks was a bit deflating for the Twins. They found out that the Yankees bats were working just fine. I hope they don't let that bother them.
    It doesn't look that way based on today's score...the Sox are just pounding the snot out of the ball.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"PhxFan" wrote:
    These ESPN guys don't give the Twins much hope.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ostseasonpicks
    There are too many Yanks fans to go against the crowd. It also would be stepping out on a limb to say the TWINS would win. That limb is on a tree that is hanging over the biggest drop off in the world.

There were a few TV and paper guys that were on that limb about 2 wks ago but the disappeared.

It is hard to say the David will beat Goliath. Goliath has to many good Pokemon cards in his deck. What I am saying is, that on paper, it looks bad.

Winning without money is an attitude. Oakland has done it. KC tried it last year. If you spend money like the Yanks and D-Backs, you don't have much to fall back on when crap hits the fan and your wallet is tight or when you give up your (clean house) talent. There are no minor leaguers being brought up because they have relied on Money to buy their team.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"diesavike" wrote:
    You know, I have been a Yankees fan for twenty-some odd years, I've always rooted for them when they've been good, and when they've been bad. But these past few years have been ridiculous with them spending all this money, and buying whoever they want. Then you have the Twins who don't have alot of money, but they have been contenders the last 3 to 4 years. Now, I will always be loyal to the Yankees, if that makes me a bad person then so be it, but it would be nice to see the Twins beat the Yanks, cause I think they need to be taken down a notch, and they need to be shown that money can't buy you the best team. Not that it would help though, George would probably go out next year and spend even more, gets kinda old.
    But you could look at this another way...the Yankees were the only team that could really eat that horrendous contract that the idiot Tom Hicks gave A-Rod to switch over to the Rangers, so George did baseball a favor in general and Texas a favor specifically. Furthermore, is there ANY baseball fan out there who wouldn't give their left nut to have the owner of their team care so much about having a winning team (which is why we watch the games and root for our teams) that he is willing to spend alot of the profits that he makes just to try and field the best team that he can afford...there are alot of owners who are much more concerned about the bottom line and don't really care about what the fans want. I know that George can be a meddler and a royal pain, but at least he cares about his team winning...as opposed to the past management of the Red Sox for instance, who fielded an inferior product even though Boston has nearly as much money as New York does. Those incompetent, greedy bastards were just milking their fans for every penny they could...the current management cares much more, but they still like to paint the Yankees as the Evil Empire...I'm sure that the rest of MLB looks at how much the Sox spend and think the same thing. Having said all that, it doesn't bother me if the Yankees win it all or not this year (and I have been a fan of the Yanks since the Ron Guidry years)...so long as Boston doesn't win it either. The Curse lives!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I think it is no favor to the fans and baseball itself to be buying all the good players. They are driving the market value and salaries up on all players.

The Twins can't afford more than 2 semi-stars on a team in one season. It is hard for them to keep good players. I shouldn't be complaining, we have won 2 champs in the last 17 yrs and have been competative the last 3 years. But how about Milw, Montreal, KC. Lets just contract them because they can't compete.

Yanks and Chucky Knobloch got what they deserved. I have never forgiven Chuck for leaving. But for some reason I don't think he cares. Where's Chuck now? I think that just spurred George to go out and find even higher priced talent so he wouldn't get burned again. Brown breaks his hand, Giambi get some sort of tumor (cyst that was parasitic not cancerous). I think they have sold their soles to the devil=George, ok that is too far out there. What I was trying to get at is that he can absorb those injuries without a hitch.

Baseball needs a salary cap.

Your right about the fact that we all want to see our team management do things to help our teams succeed. But this is like me trying to take on Donald Trump for a piece of property and then telling me that we are on a level playing field. If he wants it bad enough he'll get it. In business, that seems like fair game but the last time I checked, baseball is a sport. (yeah baseball is a business but the essence of baseball is sporting first) He (as well as the players) has brought too much business to sports. As a fan it is not fair. It doesn't seem very sporting. I think that George is trying to put together a team that will win every game of the season and he is not going to stop until he succeeds. Maybe we should all have the NY on our hats. Maybe we should only have one team in the MLB. Then he would win everytime. Maybe I shouldn't watch pro sports.

I am done with my tangent heading in all directions. :cry:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12