Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Twins sign Ruben Sierra

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    [size=18px]Twins sign Ruben Sierra to minor league deal[/size]
    Joe Christensen, Star Tribune

Hoping to find a potent hitter to bring off the bench, the Twins signed Ruben Sierra on Tuesday to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Sierra, 40, hit .229 with four home runs and 29 RBI for the New York Yankees last season. Injuries limited him to 61 games.

"I think it's great [signing with the Twins]," Sierra said in a telephone interview. "They have a good nucleus with a few veterans and some good young players. I think they have the potential to reach the playoffs and make the World Series."

The switch-hitting Sierra is a four-time All-Star with 306 career home runs. In 2004, he hit a crucial three-run homer off Twins reliever Juan Rincon in Game 4 of the Division Series at the Metrodome.

"I love hitting in that ballpark," Sierra said. "That's one of the reasons I'm excited to go there."

The Twins also announced that they have signed pitchers Ryan Glynn, Pete Munro and outfielder Tim Raines Jr. to minor-league deals.
    While sum may not be impressed, it is hard to be too impressed over this, but with the additions this year, we have tried to become more offensive minded in the form of power that we haven't had in a long time. There for a while, we had only one guy that was a HR hitter, Ortiz, and at that time, he was injured a lot. Now we have Morneau, White, Sierra, we might have some power. We will have to see if he make the team, and then see how he might contribute.

ROOT for the Evil Empire if you don't like it. We have won 2 championships and have been competative for the most part since Tom Kelly was the MGR up until now. That is pretty good considering that there are plenty of teams out there, like the ASTROS, that have never won or haven't won in a long time.

I wish we had a some studs too, but that is the way it is in Minny with the Twins. Maybe you all should be hoping that the Twins leave and then another team might come in with an owner that wants to spend willy nilly. Heck, maybe Steinbrenner could buy the team and it could be called Minny NY(knee).

All I am saying is that the Twins are baseball. They are (have been) the guys that you would expect to see at the home town stadium but quite a bit better and without a beer in their hand. I looked at the depth chart for the Yankees, and it looks like a rock concert or something, with all those pretty boys who are talented but afraid of getting dirty and without the need to prove anything to anyone. Good Luck Yanks! You can buy talent, but you can't buy championships.

Ryan has done a lot with little money to spend.

Sierra signs Minor League deal
    Veteran slugger invited to Major League Spring Training
    By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- A left-handed bat off the bench was the last need that the Twins felt had to be addressed before the club headed to Spring Training. Now it appears that the club's final need has been filled.

On Tuesday, the Twins signed designated hitter Ruben Sierra to a one-year, Minor League contract with an invite to Spring Training. The 40-year-old Sierra played in 61 games for the Yankees last season, hitting .229 with 12 doubles, four home runs and 29 RBIs.

A switch-hitter with a .268 career batting average, Sierra spent most of 2004 and '05 providing the power for the Yankees off the bench. That type of experience in a pinch-hitting role was something that Twins general manager Terry Ryan was looking for and was happy to find in Sierra.

"He knows what the role is all about and he was the logical fit here for us," Ryan said. "We feel better about having a veteran guy like him come into the game to pinch-hit rather than exposing a young player in that position."

Sierra's power at the plate is also a strong point for a team that lacked run support last season. A four-time American League All-Star, Sierra has 15 career multi-homer games along with nine grand slams since he made his Major League debut in 1986. Sierra has amassed 1,318 RBIs over his career and his 306 career home runs rank sixth on the all-time list for homers by a switch-hitter.

"The guy has power and a history of doing the job well," Ryan said. "We're interested to see what he can bring to the table this spring."

Some of the concerns regarding Sierra have been his age and injury problems. Last season, Sierra was plagued by a bicep tear and hamstring problems that caused him to spend much of 2005 on the disabled list. The injuries appear to have healed and Sierra seems ready to show once again what he can bring to a team.

"Everything is 100 percent now," Sierra said on Tuesday afternoon. "Last year was a tough year for me due to all the injuries but now everything is back to being healthy and I'm looking forward to helping the club this season."

The Twins will be Sierra's ninth organization as he has also played for Texas, Oakland, Detroit, Cincinnati, Toronto, the White Sox and Seattle over his 19-year career. There were a few teams interested in the veteran hitter but his decision to sign with the Twins had a lot to do with what he felt the Twins could accomplish in 2006.

"I wanted to stay in the American League and I always liked this organization," Sierra said. "From what I've heard from all the players, manager Ron Gardenhire is super and the fans are great there too. This team has a good nucleus and a good chance to win and make the playoffs. Once you make the playoffs, you never know what can happen."

The Twins also announced on Tuesday that they have agreed to terms on Minor League contracts with pitchers Ryan Glynn and Pete Munro, and outfielder Tim Raines Jr. All three will report to Minor League Spring Training in March.

Kelly Thesier is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

that is solid news for you twins fan.
    We're bringing purple back.

The Twins have actually signed some talented players to minor league contracts.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

the twins have had a great offseason in my opinion..if jason kubel can make it through the season and turn into what all the scouts are saying hes going to be, then they will go a long way this year..liriano and baker will get a good shot at pitching in the rotation this year on a regular basis..the team is going to be very competitve and will really challenge the white sox..we just need a solid SS very badly
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

I don't know about the signing but I would say that at least the Twins have been active this offseason and are trying to get some hitters in our line-up so aren't pitchers are afraid to give up 1 run and lose the game. I can't wait for baseball season to start back up! Let's go Twins!

Thanks Josdin

aceclown is offline Coach

"olson_10" wrote:
    the twins have had a great offseason in my opinion..if jason kubel can make it through the season and turn into what all the scouts are saying hes going to be, then they will go a long way this year..liriano and baker will get a good shot at pitching in the rotation this year on a regular basis..the team is going to be very competitve and will really challenge the white sox..we just need a solid SS very badly
    omg, Kubel!? Are you kidding me? When they brought him up a few years ago (for a very short term), he might have been the worst twin ever- 2nd maybe to Scott Stahoviac and Brett Boone.

Chuch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12