Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: In trouble for selling gas too cheap?

The practice is called "Price Gauging" and it's not new. It started in the 20's or 30's, (I believe) when the big oil companies would have stations on opposite corners, and they would keep lowering their prices in an attempt to bankrupt the little guy. Laws were finally passed to stop the practice.

Ironically, this is the exact same practice that WalMart uses to drive it's competition out...Predatory Pricing. They drop the prices so low that Mom-n-Pop stores - and anyone who has less than a billion dollar corporate budget - can't compete. Once the competition is gone, the prices hike.

Either way, it's US that loses.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

Wal-mart used to be a mom and pop store themselves. It is capitalism at it's finest.

If every one shopped at mom and pop stores they would probably become Wal-marts.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "thetrenches68OL" wrote:
    fu ck gas prices and fu ck ol companies everything revolves around gas so make it cheaper sh it cheaper gas cheaper everything gas prices going up minmum wage staying, price of living going up, we arent fu ckin rich here we dont all own our own oil companys get the oil out f iraq f-it who cares it will bring cheaper gas and it would be good for the economy FU CK lol imo
    It's not only gas, it's EVERYTHING. We're a patroleum based economy, everything we have is made off of oil products (AKA plastics). So as long as OPEC says gas "x" this much a barrel, we have to pay it and like it.

Also, I don't know you trenches, but what's the point of having an automatic censor if you just split the word and put it on the screen anyway? The moderators and Webby put it there for a reason, and using the swear words doesn't really make your point any more credible, it just makes you sound less intelligent. Just putting it out there....
    Cool part is that we can make ethanol from corn and now we can also take by-products from ethanol process add a bacterial culture and we can now also make plastics from corn as well. If more people would buy ethanol and products made from ethanol processes we would not have to depend on oil as much. JMO
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

OK, I can't resist the Walmart bait.

Walmart only price-gouges on certain items. Their strategy is to set prices low on a few items and station them at the entrance to an isle. This creates the perception that all of their prices are remarkably low, when in fact they are not.

While Walmart may have once been a small business, they really aren't anymore. They are approaching size and a level of power that is usually associated with monopolies. I have to wonder when the anti-trust suits will begin. It's ironic that capitalism at its finest still leads to market failures.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Wal-mart used to be a mom and pop store themselves. It is capitalism at it's finest.

If every one shopped at mom and pop stores they would probably become Wal-marts.
    Not necessarily, since the mom and pops are usually sole proprietorships or small LLCs...the main difference is that their profits get respent in the same community that they are earned in...while Wal-Mart's profits get spent on the St. Louis Blues and ultralight aircraft, among other things....essentially draining the money out of small communities forever.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

realmeandogg is offline Training Camp

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    "thetrenches68OL" wrote:
    fu ck gas prices and fu ck ol companies everything revolves around gas so make it cheaper sh it cheaper gas cheaper everything gas prices going up minmum wage staying, price of living going up, we arent fu ckin rich here we dont all own our own oil companys get the oil out f iraq f-it who cares it will bring cheaper gas and it would be good for the economy FU CK lol imo
    It's not only gas, it's EVERYTHING. We're a patroleum based economy, everything we have is made off of oil products (AKA plastics). So as long as OPEC says gas "x" this much a barrel, we have to pay it and like it.

Also, I don't know you trenches, but what's the point of having an automatic censor if you just split the word and put it on the screen anyway? The moderators and Webby put it there for a reason, and using the swear words doesn't really make your point any more credible, it just makes you sound less intelligent. Just putting it out there....
    Cool part is that we can make ethanol from corn and now we can also take by-products from ethanol process add a bacterial culture and we can now also make plastics from corn as well. If more people would buy ethanol and products made from ethanol processes we would not have to depend on oil as much. JMO

Do you know how bad ethanol is for your car. If you want to save money DONT buy ethanol trust me I work on cars for a living.

realmeandogg is offline Training Camp

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    "thetrenches68OL" wrote:

Do you know how bad ethanol is for your car. If you want to save money DONT buy ethanol trust me I work on cars for a living.

Del Rio Guest

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    OK, I can't resist the Walmart bait.

Walmart only price-gouges on certain items. Their strategy is to set prices low on a few items and station them at the entrance to an isle. This creates the perception that all of their prices are remarkably low, when in fact they are not.

While Walmart may have once been a small business, they really aren't anymore. They are approaching size and a level of power that is usually associated with monopolies. I have to wonder when the anti-trust suits will begin. It's ironic that capitalism at its finest still leads to market failures.
    Actually they have been sued twice for this. Both suits were dropped because it isn't going to happen. They have done nothing wrong. They have not cornered the market they have just chosen to do things differently in regards to having their own shipping company and offering more and more options.

A lot of their income comes from credit cards, mcdonalds, hair shops and other stores in their buildings. They save an ass load of money on shippment of goods because they do not outsource that. The items they sell are not much cheaper then the competition. They have something called a tab. It's whats coming out in next weeks add. Those are the only items that are marked down and they understock them, the main purpose of the tab is to get you into the store.

Crying about exporting manufacturing to China is a joke. Target and all the other department store do the same exact thing.

Yes Cajun, mom and pop stores do turn into gigantic successful buisinessess. Maybe not all the time, but if they had the success Sam-Walton did when he opened up his very first rinky dink store they would most likely expand. Not all but alot. That's how capitalism works.

They are successful nothing illegal with that....there are options to shop elsewhere you don't save that much more at Wal-mart to cry about price gouging. And they will never be successfully sued for being a monopoly.

zimtwister is offline Coach

walmart sucks like a f-5 twister! ethanol will ruin a engine quiker than anything i know of.
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

Del Rio Guest

Quicker then water?

Quicker then sand?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast