C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Troops pay baggage fees

[size=14pt]Troops pay baggage fees on way to war zones[/size]

From Deborah Feyerick
    CNN

Military personnel carry large, heavy kit bags containing boots, clothing and gear. In the past few months, airlines have instituted fees for all travelers ranging from $15 for one bag to $250 for a third bag.

"What we want to do is nip this in the bud by exempting the military personnel who are traveling under orders from having to pay a fee on their third bag," Veterans of Foreign Wars spokesman Joe Davis said.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: Troops pay baggage fees

It's not much, but it's the principal.
    All the airline company's care for is money, money and oh what do you think money...

Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    [size=14pt]Troops pay baggage fees on way to war zones[/size]

From Deborah Feyerick
    CNN

Military personnel carry large, heavy kit bags containing boots, clothing and gear. In the past few months, airlines have instituted fees for all travelers ranging from $15 for one bag to $250 for a third bag.

"What we want to do is nip this in the bud by exempting the military personnel who are traveling under orders from having to pay a fee on their third bag," Veterans of Foreign Wars spokesman Joe Davis said.
    What a truly generous gesture. They should get a medal of commendation for that.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

The military usually issues vouchers authorizing extra baggage before a flight, but troops must pay up front if they don't have one.

And though reimbursement is likely, pending approval, as with any business expense, it is not guaranteed
    Don't see what the big deal is. They get a voucher, and if they don't have one they get reimbursed.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

If they keep this up I hope all the airlines go bankrupt

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I don't agree with the military paying fees but I am glad that they are doing this. My experience has just from havng to fly with Kids. We try to carry as little as possible on with us but when you have small children you have to carry a diaper bag and a small bag for them Well we get in the plane first because we are allowed to we were in one of the first rows of coach. Anyways this guy who walks on before us, and is sitting in the back wants to put his 2 big bags in the compartment above
    our seats, after telling hm excuse me, that these are our seats and he would need to move the bags he proceed to look at me like "who the hell are you?"and close the compartment, My response "I don't think so"
    Opened the compartment and proceeded to take his stuff out and put it on the seat behind us.
    after staring at me for about 10 seconds in disbelief and watch me proceed to put our 2 bags in the compartment he walked off in a huff with his bags in hand. The stewardess had the most priceless look on her face.
    OMG what is going to happen next. Once we were in the air she came up to me and asked if we were ok, she then politely informed me that she couldn't agree with what I did because it could of started a incident she was glad i did as the guy was being a complete ass to everyone before the plane took off about his bags and that they had to go on with him, and overly demanding about everything, getting on the plane first so that he could place his bags where he could easily grab them on the way out, and was just steaming about what I did and that he had the right to do what he wanted to.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    The military usually issues vouchers authorizing extra baggage before a flight, but troops must pay up front if they don't have one.

And though reimbursement is likely, pending approval, as with any business expense, it is not guaranteed
    Don't see what the big deal is. They get a voucher, and if they don't have one they get reimbursed.

Deployable military are also given a government issued American Express card, so it isn't like it comes out of their pocket anyway.
    So it really isn't that big of an inconvenience for the troops.
    I think it is more the principle behind it than anything else.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=