Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Travel to Europe

don't forget to see some of Germany also.....A beautiful country for sure and a stop in Cologne should be on the list, a very nice city with very old history. You could end your visit in the city by getting on a Rhine River Cruise ship and sail down the Rhine....Wonderfull scenery with vineyards on the banks and castles galore.
    Stop in Frankfurt and board a train for your next destination....

Good Luck and Enjoy
    ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

i don't know when you'll visit europe but you could check a nfl europa game also
    you could also visit the Cologne Centurions
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"tjohnson" wrote:
    thanks for all the help guys!

we're still pretty early in the planning but i'd like to get everything squared away in the next couple weeks. we were planning to go out the week of monday, june 18th.

the thing w/ the flights is that we'd like to fly into one place (like greece), travel through europe, then take off at another place (like amsterdam). i'm not sure if i'm correct w/ this theory but i'd assume we'd be able to see more if we spread it out like that rather than the alternative of stopping and starting in one place....idk, just a thought.

as for sleeping, i think we plan on setting it up so we do a majority of the sleeping on the trains themselves at night. i'm pretty conservative by nature and something about hostels just seems a little sketchy. we plan on being in france for a couple days of the Tour, so we'll prob camp right on the route for a couple nights, saving some money that way too.

again, thanks for all the tips. all the help is much appreciated!
    One way tickets are going to be more expensive.

May is going to be cheaper than June, atleast the first few weeks, it is still the offseason.
    That is atleast consistant with my prior experiences.

Hostels are fine.
    It is just a shared bathroom or shower, not like ohters are al in your private stuff.
    I have heard a few stories, far and few between.
    Many good stories and a few bad, like a girl had her Ipod stolen by the cleaning staff?
    I have spent 14 nights in hostels and never had a problem myself. I actually stayed in one in NZ this last July and again in Aug.

The other thing about the hostels is that you might get a chance to meet some really cool people your own age from all around the world.

Sleeping on the train and all is fine, but sooner or later you will want to shower.
    Just because you hear stories about Europeans not showering, doesn't mean you need to follow suite for the 4 weeks that you will be there.
    LOL

Different strokes for different folks!
    We all have our own likes and dislikes, heck what you want to see might be different than your brothers ideas.

Think about that Interlocken if you like the summer adventure sports.
    Also, heard great stuff about Prague.
    I haven't been to either, but always heard people bringing those two places into conversations with a positive ring.
    It kind of made me want to go there, but that was after the fact all the time.
    The reason why I mentioned these two places, is that you might find with trains that there may be some stops along the way or time constraints or distances that might put them into play for you.

I have flown to England 3 times, Germany twice, and Norway twice, (not relevant here but Japan and NZ once each) at different times of the year.
    If you have any questions, PM me.
    If you need to know where I got those prices on tix, PM me.

Last thing, it seems to me that the further North you are in Europe, the more you will be able to speak American (or English), might be due to the root of the languages.
    That theory might not apply when you start heading to the arctic circle north of Oslo. But in Italy, it was a ton more difficult to find someone that spoke english than it was let's say in England or Scandinavia.
    No worries though!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

One thing to consider as well are some of the budget airlines that operate within Europe - for example Easyjet ( UK ) or Ryanair ( Eire ). They do very cheap prices on oneway flights, if you have your journey well worked out then you can book flights on them very cheaply.
    One place to consider visiting is Prague in the Czech Republic. There is a lot of history there, plus some good bars and eating places. It is also a good destination for Stag & Hen weekends - so plenty of evening entertainment and clubs as well !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    One thing to consider as well are some of the budget airlines that operate within Europe - for example Easyjet ( UK ) or Ryanair ( Eire ). They do very cheap prices on oneway flights, if you have your journey well worked out then you can book flights on them very cheaply.
    One place to consider visiting is Prague in the Czech Republic. There is a lot of history there, plus some good bars and eating places. It is also a good destination for Stag & Hen weekends - so plenty of evening entertainment and clubs as well !
    I heard good things about Prague, I would like to go.

I took a seasonal flight from Mpls to Frankfurt one summer, and had unknowingly booked my flight home on the last flight from Frankfurt to Mpls for the summer.
    Well due to circumstances, I missed that flight.
    They only had one more flight from
    Frankfurt to the states, that was to Chitown.
    From Chitown, I had to buy a roundtrip ticket to Mpls which cost me more than half what the ticket to Frankfurt was. Yes, it was cheaper to buy the round trip ticket than the one way???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123