Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thordis is offline Waterboy

Tragedy struck our neighborhood

I haven't posted since I introduced myself months ago, so I know you don't know me, but I am reaching out to you tonight. There was a tragedy in our town today, our neighbor's little boy was accidentally shot in the head. He was airlifted to a hospital in the cities, but he later died.

I am heartsick over it. It's not that I knew the child all that well, but nearly every day I would see him from my window, playing in his yard, and his antics would make me smile. Occasionally he would come over and follow my own son around, or play with his toys. It was neat watching my usually rambunctious
    7 year old handle this little 3 year old.

Now the town has settled for the night, everyone has gone to bed. The family is staying elsewhere and the house across the street is empty, dark. This exuberant little boy is just...gone. I'll look out my window and never see him there again. I'll never be interrupted when I'm outside doing something, to fetch his ball when it rolls into my yard and hover (in case a car comes) as he crosses the street home with it again.

I can't stop seeing him in my mind. I can't stop crying for the pain his mother and his sister are in, and the rest of his family. I don't think I will sleep very well tonight.

My own children are out of town this week, staying up north with their grandma, for which I am thankful, even though I want nothing more than to hug them both right now. But when they come home, I will have to tell them, and I don't know what I will say, or if I'll break down and start bawling as I say it.

I want to express support somehow to the boy's family. If they come home tomorrow, if I see them, what will I say? I have never been good at knowing what to say. I've never spoken to the mother, our paths just haven't crossed. I only know her boyfriend enough to say hi to if we see each other on the street. Because I don't know them very well, I don't feel I should just go over there. I don't want to intrude. I did send them a note through the sheriff, telling them they can call if they need anything, with my phone number.

I'm not sure I should really even be posting this, it's such a downer. And I should stop here, because my brain is feeling like it's frying out and I'll just get to rambling. It's just so damned sad, and I will miss that little guy. I'll miss the joy he brought to our little corner of town.

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Tragedy struck our neighborhood

I'm also not good at knowing what to do or say in tragic situations because I worry that nothing I say will really matter or will come off as cliche no matter how much I really feel bad, but I paused to pray for the family and I think your note to the family was a nice gesture.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

wow... i don't really know what to say, that is a horrible thing that happened. The only thing I can think of to do for you is pray for you. Sometimes the only thing that will make this situation a little easier is turning to a higher power. I will keep you in my prayers my friend.

Thordis is offline Waterboy

Thank you for the prayers, and for praying for the family.

You're right erik, turning to a higher power can help. It's just so hard to focus right now. I just dissolve into tears again.

lakehubertviking, I feel the same way, about coming off cliche. And there's really nothing you can say that's going to ease their pain. It's something they have to walk through. I just want them to know that they are not walking entirely alone. We're all stunned and we're all hurting for them. I just wish there was some comfort I could give. I feel so helpless.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

What a horrible story.
    A friend of mine lost there son in a car wreck last summer and I remember feeling just like you do.
    I didn't know what to say, how to act, how to approach them.
    It's just one of those things.
    I think your gesture through the sheriff's office is very appropriate given your relationship with the family.
    They know if they need anything from you they can get it, and also that you are thinking of them in this terrible time of tragedy.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

What a tragedy.
    My prayers are with everyone in Nerstrand.
    I read that online this morning.
    Just terrible.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Incredibly sad, for everyone involved.
    My prayers are with the family and everyone involved.
    Accidents like this can take a long time to heal, and guilt can often do serious damage. (The story was actually in the paper up here).
    I think the fact that you reached out will help, even if they do not take you up on the offer, they will at least know that you are there if you need it.
    The best thing you can do is be there for his family (and his sister) if needed.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Sometimes words just don't suffice. I'd give them a big hug next time you see them, regardless of how well you know them.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Sorry to hear that.
    If you're the praying type tell them they are in your prayers and offer your condolences.
    Sad story.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Thordis" wrote:
    I haven't posted since I introduced myself months ago, so I know you don't know me, but I am reaching out to you tonight. There was a tragedy in our town today, our neighbor's little boy was accidentally shot in the head. He was airlifted to a hospital in the cities, but he later died.

I am heartsick over it. It's not that I knew the child all that well, but nearly every day I would see him from my window, playing in his yard, and his antics would make me smile. Occasionally he would come over and follow my own son around, or play with his toys. It was neat watching my usually rambunctious
    7 year old handle this little 3 year old.

Now the town has settled for the night, everyone has gone to bed. The family is staying elsewhere and the house across the street is empty, dark. This exuberant little boy is just...gone. I'll look out my window and never see him there again. I'll never be interrupted when I'm outside doing something, to fetch his ball when it rolls into my yard and hover (in case a car comes) as he crosses the street home with it again.

I can't stop seeing him in my mind. I can't stop crying for the pain his mother and his sister are in, and the rest of his family. I don't think I will sleep very well tonight.

My own children are out of town this week, staying up north with their grandma, for which I am thankful, even though I want nothing more than to hug them both right now. But when they come home, I will have to tell them, and I don't know what I will say, or if I'll break down and start bawling as I say it.

I want to express support somehow to the boy's family. If they come home tomorrow, if I see them, what will I say? I have never been good at knowing what to say. I've never spoken to the mother, our paths just haven't crossed. I only know her boyfriend enough to say hi to if we see each other on the street. Because I don't know them very well, I don't feel I should just go over there. I don't want to intrude. I did send them a note through the sheriff, telling them they can call if they need anything, with my phone number.

I'm not sure I should really even be posting this, it's such a downer. And I should stop here, because my brain is feeling like it's frying out and I'll just get to rambling. It's just so damned sad, and I will miss that little guy. I'll miss the joy he brought to our little corner of town.
    It just meanst that you are human, nothing to ever apologize about.

As for approaching the family, simply telling them that although you know that nothing that you could say would ever ease their great loss, offering to be there for them if they need to talk or whatever is a huge gesture and one that will be appreciated.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast