Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Town won't let unmarried parents live together

boognish is offline Coordinator

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    We were not talking about other susbsidies we were discussing this issue. and though you have some points, if you really care about children don't give irresponsible people incentives to have children they do not want nor take care of. The govt. is not resopnsible to take care of their children. You are really doing a disservice to your cause. Isn't it funny no one wants the govt to tell them what they can or can not do but sure know how to use it when THEIR cause seems righteous. I always find that a little funny. Big long articles written about how the govt. is intruding in our lives but if it helps your cause at all well, then we have to use our resources to save this or that. Those people who want Govt out of your life make sure it is completely out, no wlefare, no unemployment, no taxes for roads, no taxes for schools, and no taxes for abortions!

Now you will hear how we need govt. but only for certain things, so now comes the hard question - what things? Everyone has their opinion so before I hear about a foolish idea, lets hear some ideas about how you would solve the problems. It's easy to say that idea won't work especially when you don't have a solution of your own.
    I agree that you don't want to incentivize welfare collection, but I also feel that a society as wealthy as ours has an obligation to ensure that kids aren't living in abject poverty and going hungry and uneducated. Therein lies the rub; how can we make sure that kids are looked after while not encouraging a welfare "culture" dependant upon handouts. People smarter than you and I have been working on this problem for over 100 years in this country. I think the workfare program was definitely a step in the right direction, and more tweaking is likely necessary.

You're right about everyone having a "special interest" that they hope the gov't will support, but I would hope that all Americans understand that it's in the country's best interest to eliminate illiteracy and poverty in the world richest country; it's an obscenity that those things even exist here.

I'm sorry I don't have a simple formula for you to work out all of society's ills, but they are complicated issues that involve real people and real families; I'm not sure there is a "one size fits all" solution.
    I am a dipshit!!!

Bowchee is offline Rookie

"boognish" wrote:
    "Bowchee" wrote:
    With things like this going on, what's next? They'll tell you that can't have your weed. Or worse yet, they'll make you go to work!!! What is this country coming too??!!!

This is a little out of balance, but no more unbalanced than rewarding a single mother for having yet another child with yet another father. It's a "living" for some.
    First off, you're comparing apples and oranges with your drug law reference.

You also seem to have a problem with single moms getting money for their kids, but you support a law that keeps the parents of that kid from living together? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. :???:

We should be encouraging family units in this country, married or not, *** or straight.
    Ease up, Boog. You missed the point with your apples and oranges... try tongue-in-cheek. I was feigning incredulousness that all societal standards are an infringement of our much heralded "rights". There are some who think it's ok to shoot each other, so, yes, there is a need for some rules. Where those boundaries are is up to our government(s). BTW, I don't agree with this law. I just don't think it's as rediculous as you're making it out to be.

As for the single moms comment, don't pretend that you don't know what I'm talking about. There are people who need help because they've caught a tough break, and then there's the rest who are taking a free ride. I realize that welfare is not like winning the lottery, but for some it is because they can be as careless as they want and know that someone is there to take responsibility.

As for the comment about any and all families should be encouraged, I say good luck to the poor youngster who has two daddies or two mommies. He'll end up all messed up and look for his satisfaction in life by blogging politics on a sports forum. I'm gonna go home now.
    "Usually the team that scores the most points is going to win it." - John Madden

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

We are being cool, right fellas?? (and gals)

boognish is offline Coordinator

"Webby" wrote:
    We are being cool, right fellas?? (and gals)
    All good; I'm done with this thread. I've come to the conclusion that politics and football don't often mix too well.

It's mighty cool that people on the opposite end of the political spectrum can be unified behind a single football team though. We'll just agree to disagree about some issues and be in total agreement in our desire for the Vikes to do well.
    I am a dipshit!!!

purplepride818 is offline Starter

"Json" wrote:
    As for the STOP HOLDING DOWN THE POOR comment i just made. I know many of you will say that this has nothing to do with the poor but if you really think about it, it really does because it's the people just trying to get by (aka poor) that usually have to succumb to these living arrangements to make ends meet.
    im just getting by and i dont even consider myself poor, just broke. if you wanna see POOR, i can take you to the slums of tijuana or some other 3rd world country, thats POOR. nobody with a computer or a job with access to a computer should be considered poor.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Json" wrote:
    Now a days society has made it near impossible for people to afford living on there own with or without children. This law is redicoulous in the sense that your going to force more couples to get married which in return will bring in a higher divorce rate. What good does this law do for anyone? It turns the neighbor hood into a more "residental area"? When people start getting divoreced it won't matter. It's just another way for the politicians to pass there beleifs into laws to affect regular people just getting by. STOP HOLDING DOWN THE POOR!
    How about saying, "Stop having kids" instead?

If you are with someone, and you're willing to have children, doesn't that - in and of itself - imply some sort of permanance? And, if so, why NOT get married? So you can retain some illusion of freedom? Having kids - if you obey the support laws - shatters that myth.

This law may be stupid (And I think that it is..on the surface), but the much larger issues that it relates to are a serious problem. Especially in lower socio-economic areas. Stop allowing people to free-load on the tax payer's backs, and this entire issue stops being an issue.

Caine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234