Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France

Erinnn is offline Starter

Tour de France

There's how many thousands of people on here? I can't be the only one who watches cycling. Four days until the start of Le Tour!

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Re:Tour de France

It can be a bit boring watching the peloton stick together for 5 hours before a big bunch sprint, although the best sprinter at the moment is a Brit (Cavendish). Although I do like watching the mountain stages, BTW is the tour having a stage finish on Alpe d'Huez this year? I think that is one of the greatest sporting spectacles in the world.

scottishvike wrote:
    It can be a bit boring watching the peloton stick together for 5 hours before a big bunch sprint, although the best sprinter at the moment is a Brit (Cavendish). Although I do like watching the mountain stages, BTW is the tour having a stage finish on Alpe d'Huez this year? I think that is one of the greatest sporting spectacles in the world.
    I agree that it can get a little boring at times, especially if the peloton doesn't even try to chase down the breakaway. Sometimes it's cool to see a rider to stay away, but usually I want something a little more climatic to end the day.

I love Cav. He's currently my favorite rider. Even with the slower start to the season he's exciting to watch and rarely censors himself in interviews, which makes for good entertainment.

No Alpe d'Huez this year, but it is a pretty mountainous route. They are climbing Col du Tourmalet twice, one is a mountaintop finish. Hopefully there will be some attacks to shake up the podium and make things interesting. I'm pulling for Andy Schleck; I'm sick of Contador (I'm not an Armstrong fan so it has nothing to do with their little feud).

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

See my "Things I would rather watch than the world cup" thread. Also applicable to Cycling.

I am super excited!!! There is no doubt that watching long peloton stages is a bit drab. But watching the Helicopter shots of France as they rip down the road at 50km is pretty cool. And the mountain stages are ridiculous!!!

I would like to see Saxo Bank and the Schleck brothers ride well. I also like Hincappe and Evans. I will say since its Lance's last year I want to see him do well. He rode an amazing race last year, Contador is just a machine.

slavinator wrote:
    I would like to see Saxo Bank and the Schleck brothers ride well. I also like Hincappe and Evans. I will say since its Lance's last year I want to see him do well. He rode an amazing race last year, Contador is just a machine.
    I can't stand Evans and it pains me to watch Hincapie ride for him. I have an anti-Cadel candle that I light every year for the tour, and so far it has worked.

Contador is a little Spanish beast. He still has a good chance of winning even without the team support he's had in the past. But I question whether Alexandre Vinokourov will really ride for him.

I'd love to see Mick Rogers or Christian Vande Velde on the podium. But I think Vande Velde might be the unluckiest man in all of sports.

Any jersey predictions?

Which coverage do you guys watch, live with Phil and Paul or the repackaged one at night with Bobke and Craig?

Erinnn wrote:
    slavinator wrote:
    I can't stand Evans and it pains me to watch Hincapie ride for him. I have an anti-Cadel candle that I light every year for the tour, and so far it has worked.

Contador is a little Spanish beast. He still has a good chance of winning even without the team support he's had in the past. But I question whether Alexandre Vinokourov will really ride for him.

I'd love to see Mick Rogers or Christian Vande Velde on the podium. But I think Vande Velde might be the unluckiest man in all of sports.

Any jersey predictions?

Which coverage do you guys watch, live with Phil and Paul or the repackaged one at night with Bobke and Craig?
    I watch the coverage during the day on Versus (internet), and then at night watch it more thoroughly if it is a good stage. Having said that I love Bob-ke!

I guess I follow Cadel a bit because he used to be a mountain biker. As for the jersey, I think Contador will get #2 in a row even with a less formidable Astana team.

Yesterday's stage made things more interesting. I wonder if Cadel will be able to handle the pressure of wearing yellow or if he'll cave like he has in the past. Of course, he never had Hincapie or a strong team supporting him in the past. Alberto's looking good, but seemed like he was caught off-guard when Schleck got the jump on him. Schleck needs to get as much time as he can on Cadel and Contador or learn how to time trial in the next 2 weeks if he wants to win.

I'm secretly happy that Lance is out of contention, maybe they'll start talking about and to someone other than him (I'm so sick of it). I can't tell that to my friend that I watch the tour with because she's one of his worshippers.

Gruelling stage today. Schleck and Contador will battle all the way to Paris. I am always amazed at the shape these guys are in. 135 miles over 3 major climbs. Ridiculous!!!

Congrats to team Radio Shack for winning the stage today.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast