Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Tim Duncan said what?

"CanadaViking" wrote:
    It is a job that pays a lot of money and if you cannot dress appropriately for your job, you get fired!!!! So maybe they should start their own league, where no one cares, I mean geez, if my boss told me to wear a kangaroo suit to work, I would either do it, or I would quit. So because they are black that means the NBA is trying to take away there culture, well not all black people wear nylons on their heads!

I think as a fan I would like to have players looking professional, this is NOT a race issue!!! Everything that happens in America or Canada for that matter that is considered racism by some faction of the population, I mean guys, these guys get paid like kings, they should dress to the standards set up by their bosses!!

What about hockey players, they wear suits, is the NHL being racist?????????????????????????????????
    there's 6 black dudes in the NHL, Stephen Hawking. And in Canada.
    These guys aren't pencil pushing desk jockeys, they play a game for a living. Most of them are from downtrodden neighborhoods where jewelry and certain types of clothing are status symbols who don't aspire to conform and wear suits and nooses.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"CanadaViking" wrote:

What about hockey players, they wear suits, is the NHL being racist?????????????????????????????????
    They would be if there were more than 2 guys of color playing in the NHL.

I am so sick of the race card.

Think of yourself as American (or Canadian or English).

America tolerates a wide variety of beliefs, and just because you aren't allowed to express them everyday in the form of a dress code, that is not racism.

Cuban said yesterday that the only suit he owns is for funerals and weddings. I thought that was hillarious. His players are going to have to wear suits and he will be there with a do-rag on in protest for his players. No he is not going to do that but wouldn't that be funny to see. He will still be wearing a t-shirt or a jersey I am sure.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That would be hilarious if Cuban came out wearing a do-rag!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Do all the NBA players have to where suits and ties now or what?

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    that dress code IS retarded. Seems like trying to take away individual identity. The NBA sucks anyways, the most republican of all sports.
    [WARNING: Anal-retentive grammatical and political nitpicking ahead!]

As an independent, non-party-affiliated, moderate-ish conservative, I must object to that statement. I also would like for you to clarify what you mean. Did you mean to capitalize "Republican," thus associating the word with the Republican Party, or was the non-capitalization intentional, thus giving the word the meaning of "of or relating to a republic?"

In either case, are you using the word "(R/r)epublican" as a synonym for the word "retarded," or are you saying that the NBA reflects certain other ideas of the Republican Party or a republican form of government, which, judging by the context, you don't agree with?

If you are intending to convey the former of the two possibilities listed in the past paragraph, I offer the following counterpoint: Although it is true that many (R/r)epublican political figures ought to ride the short bus (such as George Bush, who applies to both of these categories, and should not only ride the short bus, but should sit alone in the front where he won't hurt any of the other mentally handicapped adult children), there are also many Democrats / kings / dictators who are also retarded (such as Ted Kennedy, who has been without a brain since he lost it in the tragic car accident in Chappaquiddick, or any number of Mongolian, Chinese, and European rulers, some of whom were quite literally retarded). Being mentally handicapped is not inherently associated with (R/r)epublican ideals.

If you are trying to convey the latter, please prove the connection.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Huh??^^^^

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

vikingTurf Guest

they are trying to separate hiphop culture and nba, but i don't see it working...........first they enforced the minimum age thing so players can't jump from high school to nba, and now this.

bono is offline Hall of Famer

Williamsonoftroy,
    I totally agree with you! I think Stern is doing this b/c of the "Brawl in Detroit" last season. I think he's trying to kiss white, snobbish, big-time money bags BUTTS, as if THEY'RE the ones who actually support the freakin' sport. They don't !!!! Basketball for as long as I can remember (I was born in 1980 so...), received most of its fan base from the ghettos (inner-city, hip-hop, r&b, gangsta rap listening, youth, predominately those with roots extending from the "Mother Land"). Most folks who are into, let's say, golf (fan base is predominately middle class to upper, caucasian), aren't NBA fans. heck, they may go to a game, sit court side (only b/c they can afford those expensive seats), just to be on camera...not really aware of what's happening on the court (not really sure which team is the home team; which team they should be rooting for...not really appreciating the game). But, they're not TRUE basketball fans. Look at players in the NBA -the ones who Stern and the gang LOVE to market (and trust me, this players ARE selling the NBA)- most, if not all come from the hood. They like and prefer to dress hip-hoppish. When was the last time you saw "proper" players in the NBA getting a huge share of the lime light, glitz and glammer? Most of the fans of the game respond and relate greater to the Allen Iversons, "RIP" Hamiltons, LeBron James, T-Macs, Vince Carters, Jason "White Chocolate" Williams, etc, etc. Do you think the world of professional golf would allow players to dress hip-hoppish? NO! But why? Because the fans they cater to aren't hip-hoppish for the very great most part!!! So, why must the NBA players dress the ideal "professional" way (a way that's not so fly, IMO), when the fans they cater to -the ones keeping this GREAT sport IMO alive -don't? That's crazy. Now, if players want to dress that way, it's cool. But, to enforce a dress code on them (when there used to not be one) NOW -at a time when their target/main audience is the hip-hop world- is crazy. That's definately hitting below the belt IMO.
    AND CanadaViking,
    how in the world does dressing up in name brand clothes, shoes and hats (e.g. Michael Jordan, Sean John, and these players' very own gear that clothing lines have used their names to sell) equal "bums"? Name me one guy in the NBA who dresses like a bum. If wearing name brand baggy jeans, with clean name brand hip-hop shirts is considered "bum" wear, heck, THEN LET IT BE!!! I'm STILL sporting it!!!
    BonoSugaRay IS Betamethasone Dunkin

"bono" wrote:
    Williamsonoftroy,
    I totally agree with you! I think Stern is doing this b/c of the "Brawl in Detroit" last season. I think he's trying to kiss white, snobbish, big-time money bags BUTTS, as if THEY'RE the ones who actually support the freakin' sport. They don't !!!! Basketball for as long as I can remember (I was born in 1980 so...), received most of its fan base from the ghettos (inner-city, hip-hop, r&b, gangsta rap listening, youth, predominately those with roots extending from the "Mother Land"). Most folks who are into, let's say, golf (fan base is predominately middle class to upper, caucasian), aren't NBA fans. heck, they may go to a game, sit court side (only b/c they can afford those expensive seats), just to be on camera...not really aware of what's happening on the court (not really sure which team is the home team; which team they should be rooting for...not really appreciating the game). But, they're not TRUE basketball fans. Look at players in the NBA -the ones who Stern and the gang LOVE to market (and trust me, this players ARE selling the NBA)- most, if not all come from the hood. They like and prefer to dress hip-hoppish. When was the last time you saw "proper" players in the NBA getting a huge share of the lime light, glitz and glammer? Most of the fans of the game respond and relate greater to the Allen Iversons, "RIP" Hamiltons, LeBron James, T-Macs, Vince Carters, Jason "White Chocolate" Williams, etc, etc. Do you think the world of professional golf would allow players to dress hip-hoppish? NO! But why? Because the fans they cater to aren't hip-hoppish for the very great most part!!! So, why must the NBA players dress the ideal "professional" way (a way that's not so fly, IMO), when the fans they cater to -the ones keeping this GREAT sport IMO alive -don't? That's crazy. Now, if players want to dress that way, it's cool. But, to enforce a dress code on them (when there used to not be one) NOW -at a time when their target/main audience is the hip-hop world- is crazy. That's definately hitting below the belt IMO.
    AND CanadaViking,
    how in the world does dressing up in name brand clothes, shoes and hats (e.g. Michael Jordan, Sean John, and these players' very own gear that clothing lines have used their names to sell) equal "bums"? Name me one guy in the NBA who dresses like a bum. If wearing name brand baggy jeans, with clean name brand hip-hop shirts is considered "bum" wear, heck, THEN LET IT BE!!! I'm STILL sporting it!!!

Don't go stereotyping bono. There is no rationale behind this statement or facts to back it up. That's like saying african americans go to a hockey game even though they don't know anything about the sport.

bono is offline Hall of Famer

VKG,
    take it which ever way you'd prefer, pal. All I'm saying is that it's true: NBA fans consist of predominately african-americans. Just like hockey fans, caucasians. What's so stereotypical about that? It's fact!!! It doesn't take much thought to figure that one out. Even NBA players are saying the same thing. Why? because they know it's true!!!! If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen! If you can't take the cold hard truth, why ARE you a viking fan?
    BonoSugaRay IS Betamethasone Dunkin

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast