Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tim Couch to eventually replace Favre?

actually, from everything i've ever heard, farve is a real @ss to his backups. warner, brooks, basically anyone that even remotely threatens farve, he is an ass too. i don't understand how everyone thinks he would be this great teacher to a young qb. he'll be nothing but a detriment to a young qb's developement.
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by amavikesfan

actually, from everything i've ever heard, farve is a real @ss to his backups. warner, brooks, basically anyone that even remotely threatens farve, he is an ass too. i don't understand how everyone thinks he would be this great teacher to a young qb. he'll be nothing but a detriment to a young qb's developement.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'll agree and disagree with you, ama.

He is NOT an ass to his backups. There isn't a single backup (Hasselback, Brunell, Brooks, et al) who has talked badly about him with the exception of weenie-boy Kurt Warner, who had his Bible reading in the locker room disrupted by one of Favre's practical jokes. In the SI article, he also remarked he was afraid of all the other quaterbacks (Brunell and Detmer) and frankly, was afraid of his own shadow (with his wife, can you blame him?).

But I will agree with studying under Favre is a mixed bag. Andy Reid tells his QB's to model Favre, just not in the area of technique, throwing motion, and recklessness. He wants them to see how he leads, how he is able to hold himself in the pocket and usually make a good decision, and how he relates to his teammates. I don't want an rookie coming in and trying to completely copy Favre. It would probably be better for a guy like Couch to see how a veteran QB leads a team, instead of Losman.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

my bad, la. that's the way i heard it. and with farve's arogance, i could believe it. before you jump on me for that comment, let me back it up. i remember in '95 maybe, he was doing an interview about his contract negotiations and said that i'm the best player in the league and i should be payed like the best player in the league. now think back at all the guys playing back then and tell me that's not an arogant statement. that really made me not like the guy an awful lot. tell ya what, I wouldn't want to be that guys backup either.
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by amavikesfan

my bad, la. that's the way i heard it. and with farve's arogance, i could believe it. before you jump on me for that comment, let me back it up. i remember in '95 maybe, he was doing an interview about his contract negotiations and said that i'm the best player in the league and i should be payed like the best player in the league. now think back at all the guys playing back then and tell me that's not an arogant statement. that really made me not like the guy an awful lot. tell ya what, I wouldn't want to be that guys backup either.

Acckkkk...I'm not jumping on you for that. You'd have to tell me that Moss is a better player than Favre or something for me to really jump on you.

I'm sure Favre has some jack*ss in him, but I don't think to the extent you've let on. That Warner interview back in 99 (when Favre was struggling under Ray Rhodes) put a little target on Favre then.

He's also very competitive, and he's had to fight a lot of demons to get where he is, so when the crowd is shouting "Put in Detmer" or "Put in Brunell" or "Put in Hassleback", he fights for it.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

uh oh pack fans.... looks like your team is seriously starting to date Couch now. He made yet another trip there last night. I'm gonna laugh my butt off if he actually gets signed by them

I'm not sure why, true. You may find this hard to believe coming from a Packer fan, but Favre isn't a great wide-open quarterback. He has thrived in a West Coast system that relies on going through progressions and short passes that are basically rushes. The year under Ray Rhodes when they tried to open it up was one of Favre's worst years. He's not a drop-back-and-toss-it QB like Manning or Marino.

I agree Couch isn't the long term answer, but he may just survive in a West Coast offense. Favre isn't the most accurate passer in the world, but he improvises and reads progressions better than most.

However, last year's Former-Ohio-Former-First-Round-Quarterback experiment (Akili Smith) was a horrible experience, so forgive me if I don't go out and buy a #2 Packer jersey quite yet.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

oh I'm not singing Favre's praises by any means... I hate the guy. I'm just saying that couch is even worse

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by triedandtruevikesfan

oh I'm not singing Favre's praises by any means... I hate the guy. I'm just saying that couch is even worse

And we agree! Couch is worse than Favre!

Who said Packer fans and Viking fans never agree.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LosAngelis

I'm not sure why, true. You may find this hard to believe coming from a Packer fan, but Favre isn't a great wide-open quarterback. He has thrived in a West Coast system that relies on going through progressions and short passes that are basically rushes. The year under Ray Rhodes when they tried to open it up was one of Favre's worst years. He's not a drop-back-and-toss-it QB like Manning or Marino.

I agree Couch isn't the long term answer, but he may just survive in a West Coast offense. Favre isn't the most accurate passer in the world, but he improvises and reads progressions better than most.

However, last year's Former-Ohio-Former-First-Round-Quarterback experiment (Akili Smith) was a horrible experience, so forgive me if I don't go out and buy a #2 Packer jersey quite yet.

Akili Smith went to Oregon. Besides, he never played as far as I know how could he be so bad?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

You know what's weird about this?

Everyone's talking, including Couch himself now, about Couch being the QB of the future after Favre retires. No one ever says anything about him being Garcia's replacement in Cleveland when Garcia retires. You know why that's weird?

Favre and Garcia are the same age.
    "He either fears his fate too much,
    Or his deserts are small,
    Who dares not put it to the touch,
    To win or lose it all. "

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast