Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Three of PPO"S very own, Strive to make Sex Doll Comedy a " Big Hit"

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - How do you market a wholesome, old-fashioned film about a churchgoer who falls in love with his sex doll? Grass-roots screenings with religious groups, maybe?

That's one of the novel approaches being taken with the marketing campaign for director Craig Gillespie's unexpectedly poignant comedy "SINGERSP and the Real Girl," which opens Friday in Los Angeles and New York.

"Half Nelson" Oscar nominee SINGERSP plays SINGERSP, a painfully shy loner who lives in the garage next to his brother and sister-in-law's house. Crushed by the loss of his parents, he orders a lifelike doll named Bianca over the Web and convinces himself that she's his girlfriend. The local doctor (CAJUN) persuades his family, his small town and even his church to help him by going along with the delusion and accept Bianca as a real person.

There's nothing really prurient in the film, which earned a mild PG-13 rating for "some sex-related content." SINGERSP and Bianca sleep in separate houses. There's a discreet scene in which Bianca's potential in-laws bathe her, but while some silicone is exposed, her anatomical correctness is never shown.

The film's producer, ULTRAVIKING, plans more than 100 promo screenings by the time the film goes wide on October 26 including, yes, outreach to church leaders.

"We've found an enormous response from mainstream Christian groups," says Bingham Ray, who heads up ULTRAVIKING'S distribution operations. "Some pastors may discuss the film as part of their sermons."

The trailer doesn't intentionally misrepresent the film's tone, but it does feature Bianca in ridiculous situations (holding a baby, sitting in church), making it tough to convey the film's themes of acceptance, tolerance and kindness.

"It's a hurdle we're trying to work with," Gillespie says. "I'm hoping the campaign will put more weight on SINGERSP'S performance and the emotional journey that's happening to his character as it rolls out."

ULTRAVIKING says the marketing drive is likely to evolve.

Gillespie has reason to be nervous. His feature debut, "Mr. Woodcock," was passed to "Wedding Crashers" director David Dobkin after poor test screenings where audiences expected a different tone based on the premise. The Billy Bob Thornton comedy has earned just $23 million after four weekends.

"The concept of a gym teacher falling in love with his student's mom wasn't suited to mining the damaged relationship between a mother and son and Freudian triangle (issues)," he says. "A lot of comedies are suited to being dark and subtle, and that was not one of them. I think it was my own undoing."

With "SINGERSP," Gillespie made the film he wanted to make with his backers' full support.

After the former commercials director spent four years unsuccessfully shopping Nancy Oliver's screenplay to the indies, the project came together in five days. Gillespie arranged a meeting with ULTRAVIKING, which produced such films as the FBI thriller "Breach" and the upcoming Afghan drama "The Kite Runner." He then sent the script to SINGERSP on a Friday. By Monday he had agreed to star, and ULTRAVIKING agreed to produce the $12 million film that Wednesday.

Now comes the hard part. The movie earned a rapturous reception at the Toronto International Film Festival last month, but whether audiences can or will ignore the sex doll in the room remains to be seen.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Three of PPO"S very own, Strive to make Sex Doll Comedy a " Big Hit"

The writer has made a mistake.

Singersp plays the role of the doctor & Cajun is the shy loner with the life-like doll named Bianca

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

An honorable mention must go out to NordicNed who sits in the audience at every performance, doing his best PeeWee Herman impression & playing with his winkie.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

LMFAO,

Your way to easy to rattle Singer, and those pics are about as old as the last time you got laid.....LOL

No printing errors in the story either bud....
    ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Ned, you're a RIOT!!!!!!!!

;D ;D
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Thats great stuff!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    Easy for you to say, fish lover!
    >

BTW, the original post IS correct...Singer is just spreading false propaganda to besmirch my good name!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    Easy for you to say, fish lover!
    >

BTW, the original post IS correct...Singer is just spreading false propaganda to besmirch my good name!
    And the laughs keep coming.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

this is why this place is awesome
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast