Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

Thanksgiving traditions

Up here in New England, we have an awesome tradition which only takes place in certain parts of the country.
    On Thanksgiving morn., all the high school football rivals face off at ten AM.
    Many, many of these games have serious post season implications.
    My home town of Beverly Mass. (the Panthers) has been playing hated rivals Salem Mass. since 1891.
    The towns are approx. 20 miles north of Boston.
    You may have heard of Salem for the witch trials of the 1600s.
    Their high school mascot is actually a Witch!
    A regular season game may draw 2,000-2,500, but on Turkey day you are likely to see 6,000-11,000 people.
    Many folks have breakfast partys, and even gramps will probably have a full flask at the game.
    What a great tradition!
    Let's hear some of yours.
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Thanksgiving traditions

"Vikeman" wrote:
    Up here in New England, we have an awesome tradition which only takes place in certain parts of the country.
    My home town of Beverly Mass. (the Panthers) has been playing hated rivals Salem Mass. since 1891.
    A regular season game may draw 2,000-2,500, but on Turkey day you are likely to see 6,000-11,000 people.
    Many folks have breakfast partys, and even gramps will probably have a full flask at the game.
    What a great tradition!
    That witch thing didn't really catch on around here. The rest of it sounds pretty cool though.
    Around here we tend to go Pheasant hunting or watch football on tv in addition to the obligatory family gathering for over eating.
    I worked every Thanksgiving for a stretch of about 10 years straight. I now get them all off and enjoy it immensely.
    Now that I'm older I'm busy with smoking or frying a turkey while the little woman roasts one. Sometimes I make pies.
    I don't have time for much else but entertaining family and guests that day. But it is so worth it when everyone comes home for a visit.

Much to give thanks for.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Last year we started a new tradition. Before and after dinner everyone steps on the scale and whoever gains the most weight is declared the winner.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Only thing I care about is getting the day off and watching football

WOOO!!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    What a great tradition!
    That witch thing didn't really catch on around here. The rest of it sounds pretty cool though.
    Around here we tend to go Pheasant hunting or watch football on tv in addition to the obligatory family gathering for over eating.
    I worked every Thanksgiving for a stretch of about 10 years straight. I now get them all off and enjoy it immensely.
    Now that I'm older I'm busy with smoking or frying a turkey while the little woman roasts one. Sometimes I make pies.
    I don't have time for much else but entertaining family and guests that day. But it is so worth it when everyone comes home for a visit.

Much to give thanks for.
    The thing about the ten AM game time is that we arrive home around 1 PM for dinner and an afternoon of NFL football.
    Being a newly published author of a book titled "New England Bandwagon Nation" gives us much to be thankful for, as well.
    I am glad you get Thurs. off to spend with family.
    Happy Thanksgiving and Go Vikes!!!!!!!!!!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Vikeman" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    What a great tradition!

Much to give thanks for.
    The thing about the ten AM game time is that we arrive home around 1 PM for dinner and an afternoon of NFL football.
    Being a newly published author of a book titled "New England Bandwagon Nation" gives us much to be thankful for, as well.
    I kind of had that 10 am thing figured out and think it is a very cool tradition.
    Congrats on the book.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    What a great tradition!

Much to give thanks for.
    I kind of had that 10 am thing figured out and think it is a very cool tradition.
    Congrats on the book.
    Thanks for the congrats!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Falling asleep on the coach.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    Doesn't that make the coach angry?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    Doesn't that make the coach angry?

=Z=
    LOL.
    Couch....... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast