Texters hurt as they walk, ride — even cook

ER docs warn of serious injuries, deaths from text-message mishaps

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25934644/

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Texters hurt as they walk, ride — even cook

i text when i drive all the time
    We're bringing purple back.

With the usual California efficeincy they just enacted a "hands free" cell phone law effective July 1, however, the law specifically addresses talking and dialing but leaves it wide open to text while driving.
    Lawsuit soon to follow.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Just to summarize:

- If you have one too many Heinekens and then drive, you are treated like the anti-Christ

- But if you have your head down texting and not driving and crash into someone and kill them, it was just an unfortunate accident.

The double standard is amazing.

If you think I am exagerrating, there was a case just like that where a guy in Chicago killed a person while texting, and they fined him $ 200. If he had had a BAC at any level, it would have been prison.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Just to summarize:

- If you have one too many Heinekens and then drive, you are treated like the anti-Christ

- But if you have your head down texting and not driving and crash into someone and kill them, it was just an unfortunate accident.

The double standard is amazing.

If you think I am exagerrating, there was a case just like that where a guy in Chicago killed a person while texting, and they fined him $ 200. If he had had a BAC at any level, it would have been prison.
    One is illegal and kills thousands every year and the other is not illegal and less is known about the casualties. Still I see your point. It is only a matter of time before it is illegal to text and drive and I do wonder what the punishment will be.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

There was an article about this in the Wall Street Journal. It was kind of funny. One exec had a red mark on his forehead where he had run into a worker with a 2x4. He didn't want to go back to his office for a meeting, to admit he ran into a two by four while texting.

BTW, there is a new book out about traffic psychology and the author states that people with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .01 to .04 actually have LESS accidents than people who are totally sober. No doubt, the people who have drunk are more conscious of the need to drive carefully, while those totally sober feel they don't need to. [of course at .05 and then .08, the accident rate climbs sharply].

I personally see no difference between let's say texting, speeding, and drinking and driving. In each instance, the driver is making a decision to not be fully safe. I see no real difference, particularly given all the hard science now that exists that says that cell phoning is just as dangerous as drunk driving. The only difference is the societal stigma. But that can change too.