BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Terry Ryan should be fired

...for not making a deal before the deadline. What an incompetent dumb@$$. But don't take my word for it. I don't have anything to say that Tom Powers hasn't said already.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/12272221.htm

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Terry Ryan should be fired

The Twins are done! Making a deal now, would only be renting a player for the rest of the year! They have no shot at the wildcard after their pathetic preformance in July, they are done!

They have lost 10 of their last 14 series, and have not won a series against a good team in so long I do not remember when they beat a good team!

Trading away 2 of your top prospects when they have no chance to make the playoffs, would be stupid! If Ryan did that then he should be fired!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"whackthepack" wrote:
    The Twins are done! Making a deal now, would only be renting a player for the rest of the year! They have no shot at the wildcard after their pathetic preformance in July, they are done!

They have lost 10 of their last 14 series, and have not won a series against a good team in so long I do not remember when they beat a good team!

Trading away 2 of your top prospects when they have no chance to make the playoffs, would be stupid! If Ryan did that then he should be fired!

Yeah, I think the tori hunter injury put a stop to all trade talks by us. Without tori and probably even with him healthy, we would have needed 2 more good bats to really have a shot. The boone trade was a huge failure and he is about to be released too. If boone would have brkoen out of his slump and tori would not have gotten hurt, I bet we would have tried much harder to get a good bat in here.

It;s gonna suck missing the playoffs, but I think we did the right thing.

On a side note, do you guys think we will poney up the money needed to keep jacque jones this offseason? I like jones, but he is gonna be expensive.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Yeah, I think the tori hunter injury put a stop to all trade talks by us. Without tori and probably even with him healthy, we would have needed 2 more good bats to really have a shot. The boone trade was a huge failure and he is about to be released too. If boone would have brkoen out of his slump and tori would not have gotten hurt, I bet we would have tried much harder to get a good bat in here.

On a side note, do you guys think we will poney up the money needed to keep jacque jones this offseason? I like jones, but he is gonna be expensive.
    We're not THAT far out of the wild card. One hitter COULD make all the difference. Remember, it looked as though the Twins were down and out in '03 before they got Shannon Stewart.

Furthermore, we don't need every single one of our pitching prospects. We've got plenty of pitching - with the arrival of Scott Baker, we have enough to last us for years to come. With the exception of Radke, our pitchers are young. Take some time to actually read the Tom Powers article. Most teams need pitching. We have more than we know what to do with. We don't need to worry about not having enough pitchers.

And what's going to happen next year? Are the same players who are sucking right now going to suddenly become good at hitting? I doubt it. Most of these players couldn't hit the ball if they let them use a tennis racket. We need to get more hitting if we want to be able to seriously contend for a title some time in the next few years, and ensure that the pitching that you prize so highly. I'll agree that pitching wins championships, but you have to be able to generate runs so that good outings don't go to waste (like they have so often recently). And keep in mind that our pitchers might start to get sick of losing and demand to leave town.

I once had faith in Terry Ryan. I didn't get too mad when he made the decision to get rid of Corey Koskie (a decision that I now realize was sheer lunacy), because I assumed that he knew what he was doing and had a competent replacement. Now I'm not so sure that he knows what he's doing, and I think that Pohlad should find a competent replacement for him.

In short, this organization's emphasis on ONLY pitching and defense is a losing strategy. Rather than try to build a team that has a shot at the playoffs, we waste a combined $1,175,000 on Bret Boone and Juan Castro.

Good gravy.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

We're not THAT far out of the wild card. One hitter COULD make all the difference. Remember, it looked as though the Twins were down and out in '03 before they got Shannon Stewart.

Furthermore, we don't need every single one of our pitching prospects. We've got plenty of pitching - with the arrival of Scott Baker, we have enough to last us for years to come. With the exception of Radke, our pitchers are young. Take some time to actually read the Tom Powers article. Most teams need pitching. We have more than we know what to do with. We don't need to worry about not having enough pitchers.

And what's going to happen next year? Are the same players who are sucking right now going to suddenly become good at hitting? I doubt it. Most of these players couldn't hit the ball if they let them use a tennis racket. We need to get more hitting if we want to be able to seriously contend for a title some time in the next few years, and ensure that the pitching that you prize so highly. I'll agree that pitching wins championships, but you have to be able to generate runs so that good outings don't go to waste (like they have so often recently). And keep in mind that our pitchers might start to get sick of losing and demand to leave town.

I once had faith in Terry Ryan. I didn't get too mad when he made the decision to get rid of Corey Koskie (a decision that I now realize was sheer lunacy), because I assumed that he knew what he was doing and had a competent replacement. Now I'm not so sure that he knows what he's doing, and I think that Pohlad should find a competent replacement for him.

In short, this organization's emphasis on ONLY pitching and defense is a losing strategy. Rather than try to build a team that has a shot at the playoffs, we waste a combined $1,175,000 on Bret Boone and Juan Castro.

Good gravy.

I do agree we should have dumped some of our pitching, since we have so much. I would love to see us get rid of the worthless kyle lohse. I just don't see 1 bat being enough, especially without hunter now. We now need a 2nd baseman, 3rd baseman, and centerfielder.

I think our young hitters can only improve, so I don't think you can say we will be the same next season. Morneau is getting better, as is mauer. Hopefully bartlett will be back at SS. I still don't really get why we gave up on him so soon, for going through one slump as a rookie? I hope we bring him back up this year and give him some more experience, since we aren't gonna make the playoffs anyways.

Hopefully in the offseason, we will dump some pitching(please be lohse!) for some more hitting. I am as sick as anyone, of thise small ball crap.

I would have loved to get soriano though.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Yeah fire him, we only won 3 straight division titles with him!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Good gravy.

We are 5 games out of the wildcard lead, we were up by a large margin 2 months ago!!

This team is done!! Adding a couple bats would have helped, but Soriano is a free agent at the end of the year. They wanted our 2 best minor league pitchers for him, and to rent a player for 2 months made no since!!

I hope they sign him in the off season when we do not have to give up anything and can hopefully have him around for a few years.

ps. Corey Koskie is hurt all the time and the money they wanted for him was not worth it!! He went back to Cananda, and was hurt again for 2 months!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.