Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58
  1. #51
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    There's a difference between drinking in moderation and drinking for the sake of getting drunk. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation during meals etc. It's these stupid kids who think that drinking alcohol will make you drunk and therefore cool. That is where the abuse starts. For me, drinking in moderation during a meal is almost encouraged so that I can acquire a taste for something different rather than "getting drunk".
    I disagree with that PPE. You are way to young to be encoraged to drink. You are like 15 or 16, right?

    Drinking should never be encouraged. Even in moderation. Why encorage something you might not do? Just because you might only drink at meals doesn't mean you won't get drunk.

    Also there are people who are born alcoholics, even before they take their first drink. It's partly hereditary. If you never drink, it will never rear it's ugly head. But if you do it will eventually come.

    A good analagy is comparing drinking to a train.

    If you are stuck by a train, it's not the caboose that kills you. :wink:
    Great post singer...I agree.

    I also want to question the "acquire a taste" comment. I don't understand the "acquired taste" thing with beer or liquor. Basically that says to me, "yeah it sucks and tastes horrible, but if i choke it down enough times it will start to taste better." I've never understood that. That's part of why I don't drink, there are plenty of other things that will taste about 10x better but won't have any adverse effects on me.
    Because experiencing things is essential for living. I hate people who only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and have never tasted anything authentic in their entire life. Alcohol is the same way for me. I've never thought it tasted horrible even when I was able to get a sip when I was little while living in switzerland. Please agree to disagree instead of questioning what I believe.
    Don't get all defensive! I just never understood the mindset. If you think it's essential for living then I say good for you :thumbright: but it's not for me. So if you think something is good or good to experience then I say go ahead and do it as long as you're not hurting anyone else. I just never understood/agreed with the idea.

  2. #52
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    There's a difference between drinking in moderation and drinking for the sake of getting drunk. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation during meals etc. It's these stupid kids who think that drinking alcohol will make you drunk and therefore cool. That is where the abuse starts. For me, drinking in moderation during a meal is almost encouraged so that I can acquire a taste for something different rather than "getting drunk".
    I disagree with that PPE. You are way to young to be encoraged to drink. You are like 15 or 16, right?

    Drinking should never be encouraged. Even in moderation. Why encorage something you might not do? Just because you might only drink at meals doesn't mean you won't get drunk.

    Also there are people who are born alcoholics, even before they take their first drink. It's partly hereditary. If you never drink, it will never rear it's ugly head. But if you do it will eventually come.

    A good analagy is comparing drinking to a train.

    If you are stuck by a train, it's not the caboose that kills you. :wink:
    Great post singer...I agree.

    I also want to question the "acquire a taste" comment. I don't understand the "acquired taste" thing with beer or liquor. Basically that says to me, "yeah it sucks and tastes horrible, but if i choke it down enough times it will start to taste better." I've never understood that. That's part of why I don't drink, there are plenty of other things that will taste about 10x better but won't have any adverse effects on me.
    Because experiencing things is essential for living. I hate people who only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and have never tasted anything authentic in their entire life. Alcohol is the same way for me. I've never thought it tasted horrible even when I was able to get a sip when I was little while living in switzerland. Please agree to disagree instead of questioning what I believe.

    I agree sooooooooooooo much with u right there man.. You never know if u like something or not unless you try it..




    One Love
    Yeah...one day you'll get your first taste of puta...then you will finally know!!! :evil4:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  3. #53
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    There's a difference between drinking in moderation and drinking for the sake of getting drunk. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation during meals etc. It's these stupid kids who think that drinking alcohol will make you drunk and therefore cool. That is where the abuse starts. For me, drinking in moderation during a meal is almost encouraged so that I can acquire a taste for something different rather than "getting drunk".
    I disagree with that PPE. You are way to young to be encoraged to drink. You are like 15 or 16, right?

    Drinking should never be encouraged. Even in moderation. Why encorage something you might not do? Just because you might only drink at meals doesn't mean you won't get drunk.

    Also there are people who are born alcoholics, even before they take their first drink. It's partly hereditary. If you never drink, it will never rear it's ugly head. But if you do it will eventually come.

    A good analagy is comparing drinking to a train.

    If you are stuck by a train, it's not the caboose that kills you. :wink:
    Great post singer...I agree.

    I also want to question the "acquire a taste" comment. I don't understand the "acquired taste" thing with beer or liquor. Basically that says to me, "yeah it sucks and tastes horrible, but if i choke it down enough times it will start to taste better." I've never understood that. That's part of why I don't drink, there are plenty of other things that will taste about 10x better but won't have any adverse effects on me.
    Because experiencing things is essential for living. I hate people who only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and have never tasted anything authentic in their entire life. Alcohol is the same way for me. I've never thought it tasted horrible even when I was able to get a sip when I was little while living in switzerland. Please agree to disagree instead of questioning what I believe.

    I agree sooooooooooooo much with u right there man.. You never know if u like something or not unless you try it..




    One Love
    That's another thing I don't understand though Vikez. I tried it once when I was smaller, and I remember hating it. To this day the smell alone turns my stomach, so I'm just not a fan of beer and I don't like the taste of liquor. The flavored stuff I can understand a little more, but I'd much rather drink a Green Apple Jones Soda and not get buzzed than drink some 99 Apples and get drunk. If you like the taste, then sure...go right ahead.

    But if I don't like it and don't like to do it, then why am I pressured to all the time? If I said, "I don't like cauliflower" and my friends were eating cauliflower they'd say, "Alright, that's cool" and let me be. Yet, I say "No thanks, I don't like alcohol" and it's some huge sin that I don't like to drink.

    I've never really understood the stigma that does with NOT drinking amongst people our age.

  4. #54
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEaters
    There's a difference between drinking in moderation and drinking for the sake of getting drunk. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation during meals etc. It's these stupid kids who think that drinking alcohol will make you drunk and therefore cool. That is where the abuse starts. For me, drinking in moderation during a meal is almost encouraged so that I can acquire a taste for something different rather than "getting drunk".
    I disagree with that PPE. You are way to young to be encoraged to drink. You are like 15 or 16, right?

    Drinking should never be encouraged. Even in moderation. Why encorage something you might not do? Just because you might only drink at meals doesn't mean you won't get drunk.

    Also there are people who are born alcoholics, even before they take their first drink. It's partly hereditary. If you never drink, it will never rear it's ugly head. But if you do it will eventually come.

    A good analagy is comparing drinking to a train.

    If you are stuck by a train, it's not the caboose that kills you. :wink:
    Great post singer...I agree.

    I also want to question the "acquire a taste" comment. I don't understand the "acquired taste" thing with beer or liquor. Basically that says to me, "yeah it sucks and tastes horrible, but if i choke it down enough times it will start to taste better." I've never understood that. That's part of why I don't drink, there are plenty of other things that will taste about 10x better but won't have any adverse effects on me.
    Because experiencing things is essential for living. I hate people who only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and have never tasted anything authentic in their entire life. Alcohol is the same way for me. I've never thought it tasted horrible even when I was able to get a sip when I was little while living in switzerland. Please agree to disagree instead of questioning what I believe.

    I agree sooooooooooooo much with u right there man.. You never know if u like something or not unless you try it..




    One Love
    That's another thing I don't understand though Vikez. I tried it once when I was smaller, and I remember hating it. To this day the smell alone turns my stomach, so I'm just not a fan of beer and I don't like the taste of liquor. The flavored stuff I can understand a little more, but I'd much rather drink a Green Apple Jones Soda and not get buzzed than drink some 99 Apples and get drunk. If you like the taste, then sure...go right ahead.

    But if I don't like it and don't like to do it, then why am I pressured to all the time? If I said, "I don't like cauliflower" and my friends were eating cauliflower they'd say, "Alright, that's cool" and let me be. Yet, I say "No thanks, I don't like alcohol" and it's some huge sin that I don't like to drink.

    I've never really understood the stigma that does with NOT drinking amongst people our age.
    No problem with that whatsoever. It's your choice.

  5. #55
    digital420's Avatar
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ancient Korinthia
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

    there are major differences in how poeple view things. take into consideration things like this.

    Like most kids i always tried to get beer, or jd come hte weekend to go party. up till i was 22. after that.. i lost interst in the go party get hammered days.

    now.. most kids in the states rush into it because it's.
    1. Illegeal and we all know temptation to do wrong in itself is fun.
    2. A mystic secret that all the parents get to do and not the kids.
    3. People say not to
    4. It's part of the fun just getting someone to buy it.

    over here (Greece) it's not illegeal and kids really do'nt drikn that much.
    what you'll see more is like on easter or family get 2gethers there is lots of ouzo/chipero/chiqou8ia. the later 2 are like moonshine!!

    seems to me that most of the reason especially for teens to drink is the over excitement that they are being rebelious and there fore somehow kewl.

    i remember the days of trying to slam more S.C. then my friends could. or the hockey team trying to out drink the football boys.

    after i turned 21 it was the bar scene cause i could!! after 22 it was kinda old the drinking thing. and since then i havn't really partied. maybe 10 times a year i might go drinking. and 2x a year actually wake up hungover. course so far the 3 times i've been to the vikes parking lot with my dad and his famous orange juice.. i've never walked a str8 line to or from the dome.

    DiGiTaL

    "We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

  6. #56
    Redrouster's Avatar
    Redrouster is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    329

    Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

    Wow, as a teen, I drank way too much. I knew at that time it wasn't good for me. I am glad that I hardly drink at all now but I wish I would have taken it easy a long time ago. I have two young children now and I worry about them when they will be teens.

  7. #57
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    There's a difference between drinking in moderation and drinking for the sake of getting drunk. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation during meals etc. It's these stupid kids who think that drinking alcohol will make you drunk and therefore cool. That is where the abuse starts. For me, drinking in moderation during a meal is almost encouraged so that I can acquire a taste for something different rather than "getting drunk".
    I disagree with that PPE. You are way to young to be encoraged to drink. You are like 15 or 16, right?

    Drinking should never be encouraged. Even in moderation. Why encorage something you might not do? Just because you might only drink at meals doesn't mean you won't get drunk.

    Also there are people who are born alcoholics, even before they take their first drink. It's partly hereditary. If you never drink, it will never rear it's ugly head. But if you do it will eventually come.

    A good analagy is comparing drinking to a train.

    If you are stuck by a train, it's not the caboose that kills you. :wink:
    Great post singer...I agree.

    I also want to question the "acquire a taste" comment. I don't understand the "acquired taste" thing with beer or liquor. Basically that says to me, "yeah it sucks and tastes horrible, but if i choke it down enough times it will start to taste better." I've never understood that. That's part of why I don't drink, there are plenty of other things that will taste about 10x better but won't have any adverse effects on me.
    Because experiencing things is essential for living. I hate people who only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and have never tasted anything authentic in their entire life. Alcohol is the same way for me. I've never thought it tasted horrible even when I was able to get a sip when I was little while living in switzerland. Please agree to disagree instead of questioning what I believe.
    Does that mean you will be "experiencing" cocaine, heroine, crack & other drugs also PPE?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #58
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

    "digital420" wrote:
    there are major differences in how poeple view things. take into consideration things like this.

    Like most kids i always tried to get beer, or jd come hte weekend to go party. up till i was 22. after that.. i lost interst in the go party get hammered days.

    now.. most kids in the states rush into it because it's.
    1. Illegeal and we all know temptation to do wrong in itself is fun.
    2. A mystic secret that all the parents get to do and not the kids.
    3. People say not to
    4. It's part of the fun just getting someone to buy it.

    over here (Greece) it's not illegeal and kids really do'nt drikn that much.
    what you'll see more is like on easter or family get 2gethers there is lots of ouzo/chipero/chiqou8ia. the later 2 are like moonshine!!

    seems to me that most of the reason especially for teens to drink is the over excitement that they are being rebelious and there fore somehow kewl.

    i remember the days of trying to slam more S.C. then my friends could. or the hockey team trying to out drink the football boys.

    after i turned 21 it was the bar scene cause i could!! after 22 it was kinda old the drinking thing. and since then i havn't really partied. maybe 10 times a year i might go drinking. and 2x a year actually wake up hungover. course so far the 3 times i've been to the vikes parking lot with my dad and his famous orange juice.. i've never walked a str8 line to or from the dome.

    DiGiTaL
    Next time you go to a Vikings game, give us a shout. It's great to hook up with fellow PP.Oers to chat before a game.

    Especially those from far away/overseas whose dome visits aren't that often.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Similar Threads

  1. Women who lack sex drive have different brains
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 08:41 PM
  2. New Bang cartoon - Bird Brains
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 12:05 PM
  3. JELL-O Brains
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
  4. Baby Brains
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-09-2006, 05:34 PM
  5. Small brains???
    By ItalianStallion in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 01:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •