Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    idk, i say it can affect different people in completely opposite ways, im 17, i go out and drink all the time, i go partying or i just sit around w/ friends chill and have a beer.

some people learn that about me and think its dumb, or think im a "bad kid" for doing it.

well, you also could learn i work almost everyday about 40 hours a week (good considering its supposed to be part time), this year i'll be attending college (for the 2nd year) while in high school, im the president of National Honor Society, etc etc

drinking isnt always a bad thing

(though i do agree with singer, its not something that should be encouraged)
    You are correct!

Alcohol affects different people in completely opposite ways & drinking is not necessarily a bad thing. The majority of the adults can go out drink socialably & even get drunk without it ever affecting or "managing" their lives.

It doesn't become a problem until the drinking takes over their day to day lives. I.E. missing work/school because of hangovers or to drink, not paying bills so you can by booze, preoccuping your mind on the next big party or drink, putting an opportunity to drink at a higher priority than a social or family or event such as your kids ball game or school event. The list goes on and on.

An important thing to remember is that just because you can drink sociably now & only on occassion, doesn't mean it won't be a problem later in life.

When I refer to "you" from now on, I'm refering to people in general & not you specifically Vikes_King.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, cunning, baffling & powerful. It will sneak up on you when you least expect it.

I started driking sociably when I was 17-18. The legal limit was age 18 back then. I did not start drinking heavily until my early to mid 30's.

In just a few years time, it damn near ruined & ended my life & scared it deeply along the way.

Never think for one minute it can't happen to you.

I used to think that way, but I had to learn the hard way. I only hope some of you don't have to.

I'm no different from any other of the millions of alcoholics, the patterns are usually always the same. The stories are just different.

For the lucky ones, "we get it". For others, they never will.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i definatly understand where you're coming from, my dad was (and probably still is) a drunk, ruined his life and definatly fucked up ours some, idk exactly where he is now but ik he is living in a shithole tryin to pay for the stuff he did

my mom also used to be a drinker when i was very young, and it nearly cost her custody of me and i spent time else where which made her sober up

ik the affects it can have, so i know exactly why you started this thread, its a very good one for both discussion and just so people can see what it has done to people they actually associate with

so, for doing just that, skol singer ^^

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Some people naturally don't have as high of alcohol tolerance as others. I happen to be someone who has extremely high alcohol tolerance and it will take a truck full of tequila to get me actually drunk.
    To me that's a danger sign & red flag right there. If you've drank enough to build up that high of a tolerance level that spells nothing but trouble ahead.

It also tells me you've been over the legal limit several times already.

No matter what your tolerance level is, it takes the same amount to make you legally drunk, even though you don't "feel" drunk. Also the body doesn't dispose of the alcohol any quicker one way or the other.

So get that idea out of your head right now & save yourself some trouble down the road.

An alcoholic can have either a low or high tolerance to alcohol. It is not predjudice. :wink:

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    i definatly understand where you're coming from, my dad was (and probably still is) a drunk, ruined his life and definatly ~messed up~ up ours some, idk exactly where he is now but ik he is living in a shithole tryin to pay for the stuff he did

my mom also used to be a drinker when i was very young, and it nearly cost her custody of me and i spent time else where which made her sober up

ik the affects it can have, so i know exactly why you started this thread, its a very good one for both discussion and just so people can see what it has done to people they actually associate with

so, for doing just that, skol singer ^^
    I will warn you right now that if both your parents are alcoholics, you have a very high chance of becoming one yourself.

Learn from your parents mistakes & not your own. You will save yourself a great deal of headaches & troubles.

It sounds like your mom "got it" & kudos to her. I hope your dad "gets it' someday also.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

both of my parents werent alcoholics, they just had problems with it, ik that sounds contrary to each other lol, let me try & clear it up

my mom drank and stuff because that was the scene they were in, it only took 1 day for her to quit for 15 years, there are no "alcoholics" in my family, just one guy that is a serial fuck up =)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

boognish is offline Coordinator

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    That would explain a lot on my end.

**Twitch twitch**
    LOL! Exactly what I was thinking :grin:.

Now I just need to find out what all that acid did to me :wink:
    I am a dipshit!!!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

And, my friends, smoking isn't "cool" either!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    both of my parents werent alcoholics, they just had problems with it, ik that sounds contrary to each other lol, let me try & clear it up

my mom drank and stuff because that was the scene they were in, it only took 1 day for her to quit for 15 years, there are no "alcoholics" in my family, just one guy that is a serial F!!ck up =)
    It only takes 1 to be an alcoholic to put you at a higher risk.

And for those of you who don't have parents that are alcoholics, don't think your immune. :wink:

boognish is offline Coordinator

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    And make sure you look both ways when crossing the street.

And don't take candy from strangers...unless they're cute :wink: .
    I am a dipshit!!!

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    True that Cojo!

That's how I got started 28 years ago. I'm up to 2-1/2 to 3 packs a day now & it's even harder to quit smoking than it is drinking.

With my new foud love to think about, I'm down to 9 packs & I'm done with it.

I have the "patch" kit sitting on my kitchen counter right now".

I didn't need a fiancee to give me a reason to quit smoking. There were plenty of other reasons available all along. I was just to ignorant to take them with heart.

My ex father in-law, who I still care for deeply, quit smoking a couple of years ago. He just found out he has cancer in his lympth nodes & all over his body. It's mostly affecting his throat right now & it's hard for him to speak.

They gave him two years to live if he has the radiation treatments. :sad:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast