Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Teens' brains may pay price for drinking

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    let's just say, i dont think theres anything youre near as social as when you're drinking ^^
    :scratch: Would you mind clarifying that for me a bit? I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    let's just say, i dont think theres anything youre near as social as when you're drinking ^^
    scratch Would you mind clarifying that for me a bit? I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.
    Being sloppy drunk isn't social.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

There's a difference between drinking in moderation and drinking for the sake of getting drunk. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation during meals etc. It's these stupid kids who think that drinking alcohol will make you drunk and therefore cool. That is where the abuse starts. For me, drinking in moderation during a meal is almost encouraged so that I can acquire a taste for something different rather than "getting drunk".

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

so that's what happened...I used to be a genius :lol:

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    There's a difference between drinking in moderation and drinking for the sake of getting drunk. There's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation during meals etc. It's these stupid kids who think that drinking alcohol will make you drunk and therefore cool. That is where the abuse starts. For me, drinking in moderation during a meal is almost encouraged so that I can acquire a taste for something different rather than "getting drunk".
    I disagree with that PPE. You are way to young to be encoraged to drink. You are like 15 or 16, right?

Drinking should never be encouraged. Even in moderation. Why encorage something you might not do? Just because you might only drink at meals doesn't mean you won't get drunk.

Also there are people who are born alcoholics, even before they take their first drink. It's partly hereditary. If you never drink, it will never rear it's ugly head. But if you do it will eventually come.

A good analagy is comparing drinking to a train.

If you are stuck by a train, it's not the caboose that kills you. :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I believe that it is ok to drink and get drunk every once in a while. But for the kids that go out weekend after weekend and get wasted, that is just plain dumb.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

idk, i say it can affect different people in completely opposite ways, im 17, i go out and drink all the time, i go partying or i just sit around w/ friends chill and have a beer.

some people learn that about me and think its dumb, or think im a "bad kid" for doing it.

well, you also could learn i work almost everyday about 40 hours a week (good considering its supposed to be part time), this year i'll be attending college (for the 2nd year) while in high school, im the president of National Honor Society, etc etc

drinking isnt always a bad thing

(though i do agree with singer, its not something that should be encouraged)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

mnrockstar is offline Rookie

I don't agree with drinking hard as a teen or even moderatley-- occasionally is ok-- as a teen in highschool i don't drink because i have so much to lose. if i got caught it would take away my privelidge to play volleyball and other sports or be up for homecoming (not my 1st priority...lol) or anything like that. At this point there is just too much to lose

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"mnrockstar" wrote:
    I don't agree with drinking hard as a teen or even moderatley-- occasionally is ok-- as a teen in highschool i don't drink because i have so much to lose. if i got caught it would take away my privelidge to play volleyball and other sports or be up for homecoming (not my 1st priority...lol) or anything like that. At this point there is just too much to lose
    That is exactly why I have only done it every once in a while. I am not doing it at all this summer because if I get caught, there goes my senior year of football.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I disagree with that PPE. You are way to young to be encoraged to drink. You are like 15 or 16, right?

Drinking should never be encouraged. Even in moderation. Why encorage something you might not do? Just because you might only drink at meals doesn't mean you won't get drunk.

Also there are people who are born alcoholics, even before they take their first drink. It's partly hereditary. If you never drink, it will never rear it's ugly head. But if you do it will eventually come.

A good analagy is comparing drinking to a train.

If you are stuck by a train, it's not the caboose that kills you. :wink:
    I know it is dangerous to have kids drinking and all but in my opinion it's the stupid kids that ruin it for everyone. Some people naturally don't have as high of alcohol tolerance as others. I happen to be someone who has extremely high alcohol tolerance and it will take a truck full of tequila to get me actually drunk. You have to know your limits and learn from your own mistakes. If your parents enforce a household in which there is no alcohol whatsoever, as soon as the kid goes off to college or leaves the house they will be boozing it up. It's just natural for kids to go against what their parents say especially when peer pressure is involved. Parents shouldn't tell the kid to never drink alcohol, but instead try to show them the dangers of it and how to be careful while drinking (if ever).

My parents don't encourage me to go get drunk with my friends every day. They're also smart enough to realize that if they tell me that alcohol is something that won't be tolerated, even in moderation, that I will go out and try to get drunk with my friends every day. :wink:
    This being said I hardly ever drink. As singer mentioned i'm much too young to drink despite the fact that I have here and there a couple of times.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast