Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Teen Doubt Churchill Really Existed

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2008/02/04/noindex/nhistory104.xml

A fifth of British teenagers believe Sir Winston Churchill was a fictional character, while many think Sherlock Holmes, King Arthur and Eleanor Rigby were real, a survey shows.

The canvass of 3,000 under-twenties uncovered an extraordinary paucity of basic historical knowledge that older generations take for granted.

What's really surprising to me is that these teens don't know Churchill was a real person. True, he lived 50 or so years ago, but that's comparable to thinking that FDR, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini or James Bond were also fictional.

While Eleanor Rigby was fictional, Lovely Rita Meter Maid was a real person. (And so was Elizabeth Reed.)
    ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"VikingMike" wrote:
    What's really surprising to me is that these teens don't know Churchill was a real person. True, he lived 50 or so years ago, but that's comparable to thinking that FDR, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini or James Bond were also fictional.

While Eleanor Rigby was fictional, Lovely Rita Meter Maid was a real person. (And so was Elizabeth Reed.)
    ;D
    James Bond was real?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

;D
    James Bond was real?

Nah, just wanted to see if anyone was reading my post...
    ;D

But Elizabeth Reed was a real person...Dickie and Duane were drunk one night and strolled into a cemetery where they saw a headstone with the name Elizabeth Reed on it. (Or so the story goes.)
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

;D
    James Bond was real?

;D

But Elizabeth Reed was a real person...Dickie and Duane were drunk one night and strolled into a cemetery where they saw a headstone with the name Elizabeth Reed on it. (Or so the story goes.)
    Haha... got me.

I'm a big Allman Brothers fan... and I think that is how it went too. Not sure if you've ever heard this story (and I'm not entirely sure if it's true) but Dickey was once arrested for pulling over on the side of the road, killing a cow with a bowie knife and cooking it on an open fire. When the cops asked him why, he said he was hungry.

That's one grizzled sumabitch.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

;D
    James Bond was real?

;D

Haha... got me.

I'm a big Allman Brothers fan... and I think that is how it went too. Not sure if you've ever heard this story (and I'm not entirely sure if it's true) but Dickey was once arrested for pulling over on the side of the road, killing a cow with a bowie knife and cooking it on an open fire. When the cops asked him why, he said he was hungry.

That's one grizzled sumabitch.

That's a good one...never heard it. Grizzled, yes, but he could some slide guitar.

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

The Pilgrims also didn't land on Plymouth Rock, they flew over with the Wright Brothers.

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    The Pilgrims also didn't land on Plymouth Rock, they flew over with the Wright Brothers.

The Wright Brothers...Nate and Jeff? I didn't know they flew planes.
    ;D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12