Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Teachers stage fake gunman attack on sixth graders

MURFREESBORO, Tennessee (AP) -- Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged.

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.

During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on a locked door.

After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out."

Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation "involved poor judgment."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/05/13/faked.attack.ap/index.html

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Teachers stage fake gunman attack on sixth graders

Did they really think this was actually going to have a positive outcome? Seriouly what were they thinking when they cam eup with this bright idea?

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Hmmm?
    ???

That seems logical. :

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Garland" wrote:
    Did they really think this was actually going to have a positive outcome? Seriouly what were they thinking when they cam eup with this bright idea?
    Do you remember the nuclear bomb drills?

How positive were those?

Anyone out there have any long term mental affects from hidding under your desk when that alarm went off?

I lived through them I am sure these kids, no matter how coddled they are these days, will live through this.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

Yah I would say the situation "involved poor judgment"
    I hope somebody does something against these teacher's. That's Crazy

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

would you rather have that or what happened at a school in my city.
    some kid ran away and stole guns and was headed to a high school, so the principal put the school in lockdown and told the students it was just a drill.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

How positive were those?

Anyone out there have any long term mental affects from hidding under your desk when that alarm went off?

I lived through them I am sure these kids, no matter how coddled they are these days, will live through this.
    I always wanted to know how hiding under a desk was going to protect you from radiation and being melted.
    :-

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

How positive were those?

There's a huge differents between drills...and a hooded gunmen shaking a door

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"PurplePumpkin" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

How positive were those?

There's a huge differents between drills...and a hooded gunmen shaking a door
    The only difference is the threat.

I for one hope my kids schools hold drills like this, much like they do for a fire or a tornado etc etc.

Face reality, there are sick people out there that want to harm our most cherished posession. We can either coddle them or get them ready for it.

I wonder how many would still be alive if they were given the right tools to defend themselves?

Sad state of affairs my friends.
    Sad state of affairs.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

How positive were those?

I always wanted to know how hiding under a desk was going to protect you from radiation and being melted.
    :-\
    I got in trouble with a teacher for raising that argument.
    I said I would rather be melted to the chair because my shirt would leave cool patterns and make it easier for the investigation and ID.
    She sent me to the principal's office after the drill and he laughed and let me hang out for a little while before he sent me back to the classroom.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast