Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Teacher Commits Suicide in Classroom

Some amazing stories on here! Its great to know that PPO is a place where we can truly share things like this.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Suicide is a topic that touches a lot of people a lot of different ways. I know that my first impulse is to write it off as cowardice or selfishness...and I usually stop there.

But what about people who are paralyzed suddenly with no hope of recovery (Like in "Million Dollar baby")? What about people who suffer through extremely traumatic events? What about people who are terminally ill and are watching their family go broke to the medical companies? Are these people cowards or selfish for ending their lives...while they still retain some dignity?

I guess the real question is, at which point does it stop being "living" and start being "dying in slow motion"? At which point is death the "greater good"?

Personally, I think that it is at the extreme end that it become justified...at the VERY extreme end.

I once, many years ago, was out drinking at a local "dive". My band was off that weekend, and I was hanging out watching some other friends band play. Anyway, I bumped into a guy I had met years before who was also a musician, but we traveled in different circles.

I don't know why I did it, but I noticed something was wrong right away. He was TOO happy, and TOO out of control. So, I stuck around. I spent the rest of my night drinking and talking with this guy. After bar time, we sat and jammed (played guitars and sang..impromptue stuff for you non-musically inclined individuals) for awhile.

Then, we just talked about religion (I am not a very religious person, but I do have some pretty firm beliefs) and life in general. We talked about the paths our lives had taken us on...our successes, and our failures.

Finally, about 4 AM, he says to me, "You know, I was planning to kill myself tonight". He even showed me the gun he had planned to use. You could've knocked me over with a feather. He said, "But you made me see things a different way. You saved my life tonight".

It wasn't until that moment that all the pieces fell into place for me. All the signs were there, and I'd picked them up...subconciously. All he'd really needed that night was to open up and let it out. To know that he wasn't alone in the rat race. Sometimes, that's tougher than we might think.

I haven't seen him in years - we still travel in different circles - but I haven't seen him in the papers either.

The point of this is, listen to your inner voice. Sometimes, all a person needs to hear is that it's ok to be human. It's ok to fall on your face. It's not the fall that defines you, it's what you do when you get up.

Caine

SharperImage42 is offline Asst. Coach

shock man, thats deep shit, im sorry that happened to you my brotha, but u seem to be really strong bout it man, i wish i was like you, my family is poor, and were trying to move on up and the only way we can is if my father lives across the country in Turkey making easy cash through his dad that lives there, i see him 2 months out of the whole year, and ive been growing like this since i was 12, and its been 4 years, without him everyday, hes gonna be back March 31, but it seems so far away, and when he comes home time flys with him here..

sometimes i feel unwanted, from my father, girls in my life, and friends, and all i have is myself...

sorry i reached out on this post...

SharperImage42

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"SharperImage42" wrote:
    shock man, thats deep pooh, im sorry that happened to you my brotha, but u seem to be really strong bout it man, i wish i was like you, my family is poor, and were trying to move on up and the only way we can is if my father lives across the country in Turkey making easy cash through his dad that lives there, i see him 2 months out of the whole year, and ive been growing like this since i was 12, and its been 4 years, without him everyday, hes gonna be back March 31, but it seems so far away, and when he comes home time flys with him here..

sometimes i feel unwanted, from my father, girls in my life, and friends, and all i have is myself...

You are not unwanted. Your father loves you very much.

He is trying to make a better life for you the best way he knows how. And if that means working in Turkey to do it, that's the sacrifice he's willing to make for his family.

It might seem selfish to you, but to him he feels he's doing the right thing so you can have more things in life, than you've had in the past.

You'll understand more when you are a father. It has a lot to do with pride.

On the other side of the coin, he may be missing that it may be more important to be with his family year round & have less in the monetary sense.

If you feel strongly about him being around more, sit down & have a talk with him & let him know how you feel.

To me money is less important than a love a family has for each other.

If you have a close & loving family, you are far from poor.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    "SharperImage42" wrote:
    shock man, thats deep pooh, im sorry that happened to you my brotha, but u seem to be really strong bout it man, i wish i was like you, my family is poor, and were trying to move on up and the only way we can is if my father lives across the country in Turkey making easy cash through his dad that lives there, i see him 2 months out of the whole year, and ive been growing like this since i was 12, and its been 4 years, without him everyday, hes gonna be back March 31, but it seems so far away, and when he comes home time flys with him here..

You are not unwanted. Your father loves you very much.

He is trying to make a better life for you the best way he knows how. And if that means working in Turkey to do it, that's the sacrifice he's willing to make for his family.

It might seem selfish to you, but to him he feels he's doing the right thing so you can have more things in life, than you've had in the past.

You'll understand more when you are a father. It has a lot to do with pride.

On the other side of the coin, he may be missing that it may be more important to be with his family year round & have less in the monetary sense.

If you feel strongly about him being around more, sit down & have a talk with him & let him know how you feel.

To me money is less important than a love a family has for each other.

If you have a close & loving family, you are far from poor.
    Very wise comments.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Suicide is sad anytime or anywhere it happens. I really feel bad for the students. We had a death in my high school in 2004. It wasn't a suicide, but a senior football player was killed in a car accident when he tried to pass on a double line. It was just before prom, and his girlfriend told him to hurry home from his job to see her dress that had just arrived. The whole school was like a morg for the whole week.
    I still cry about him; you see he sat right in front of me in class because our names were next to each other in alphabetical order. He bragged about how fast his Cavalier would go one day in Math class. I told him "not to have a lead foot, my Cavalier went fast too. It was better to be late than not get there at all." He didn't listen to me. Could I have said something different that day that he would have listened to me? I'll never know.
    But I do know how those students are feeling right now. They are in my prayers.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That is an extremely sad story about the teacher. I'm also extremely sorry to hear about some things that some others have gone through in this thread. I think people have their reasons for what they do and I am not about to call someone selfish for an act like this. Depression is a very powerful thing (unfortunately) and it's one of those things that is very tough to get out of and people really need strong support systems to get better. My heart really goes out to people who suffer from such strong depressions and I really hope that people that are depressed have a strong support system because in my opinion suicide is not the answer.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234