Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Talladega track bans 14 fans for life

TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP) - Talladega Superspeedway has permanently banned 14 fans from buying tickets at the speedway following their arrests Sunday for throwing objects on the track after Jeff Gordon's victory in the Aaron's 499.

The fans were charged with disorderly conduct Sunday and posted bond at the track's jail facilities, Talladega County Sheriff Jerry Studdard said. Track officials can't prevent the 14 fans from buying tickets through a third party.

A number of fans began throwing beer cans after Gordon won the race under caution, passing the late Dale Earnhardt — a Talladega favorite — in career wins.

Talladega officials had issued warnings before the race that fans caught throwing objects over the fence separating the grandstands from the track would be arrested.

Superspeedway president Grant Lynch said identifying other fans who threw objects was harder than he had imagined.

"At a baseball game where everybody is sitting down, it's easy to see someone stand up and throw an object onto the field," Lynch said. "I was looking at a section that probably had 300 people in it, and they were all standing up, waving their arms and their caps, and I couldn't pinpoint where any of the objects were coming from."

Track officials added security following a similar incident after Gordon's victory in 2004, and said they will review Sunday's incident to see if more changes are needed.

Fans are allowed to bring small coolers into the track, and also can buy canned beverages at concession stands.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6764394?MSNHPHMA

Re: Talladega track bans 14 fans for life

I would of been one of those people throwing stuff at gordon I can't stand the panzy boy!

patistheman is offline Starter

I don't like Jeff Gordon, or the way that nascar waited till he made the pass to throw the caution, but throwing stuff does not solve anything and like Johnson said (I don't like him either) somebody could get hurt.
    Also most fans that were throwing things were Dale Earnhardt fans.
    Earnhardt himself would not like seeing people throw things at Gordon, he would have been there to congradulate Gordon if he were still here today.
    Gordon give Earnhardt credit for making him the racer he is today because he learned alot from him.
    I also like what Gordon did when he waved the Earnhardt flag, I thought it showed alot of respect for the Intimidator, and alot of people made a big deal of that too.

"patriothater" wrote:
    I would of been one of those people throwing stuff at gordon I can't stand the panzy boy!
    So your one of the good sports then.
    Way to take the high road :

evster is offline Waterboy

"WinonaVike" wrote:
    "patriothater" wrote:
    So your one of the good sports then.
    Way to take the high road :
    Amen to that. . .
    The problem is the Earnhardt (not Jr. ) fans who are imo the worst fans in Nascar.
    They think that the way to honor Earnhardt is to hate other drivers, namely Gordon.
    I wish they would have arrested more than 14 people.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good.
    That is a stupid show of poor sportsmanship.
    I wish they would have arrested and banned more people, because it was more than 14 idiots throwing things.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I hate Gordon, but that was so wrong.
    I thought maybe what Jr. said would stop that crap from happening.

Some #3 fans take things way too far.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    I hate Gordon, but that was so wrong.
    I thought maybe what Jr. said would stop that crap from happening.

Some #3 fans take things way too far.
    I think blaming DE's fans is generalizing a bit much.
    As someone who has attended close to 30 NASCAR events, this is much more likely to be ABG fans - Anyone But Gordon - than fans of a specific driver.

What I don't get is how stupid these people are.
    NASCAR is the ONLY major sport which allows you to bring your OWN coolers into events.
    You know how much money that saves over the length of a race weekend?
    These idiots just provide more ammo to the track owners who want to ban that privilege so that they get that money into their own coffers.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

That is true.
    Last summer we went to Chicagoland and we could have our own stuff every where but in our seats.
    They made us throw our beers before we could walk in.

you don't have to be a jr fan to hate gordon now come on if the vikes played greenbay in a nfc play off game and we lost who wouldn't want to throw a beer at farve. I would go to jail to be able to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast