josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

I have been a fan of this musical for years. Now (rather late in the game, I know) I find out that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp made a movie version of it. This is going to be incredible.

[youtube=425,350]FdU3JHIs8yM[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]FLdFS29WS4w[/youtube]

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Never heard of it, looks like it will be worth checking out though.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Just started seeing the trailers on TV...Burton is a genius!
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"josdin00" wrote:
    I have been a fan of this musical for years. Now (rather late in the game, I know) I find out that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp made a movie version of it. This is going to be incredible.
    I had a background and asylum warden parts in a college production of Sweeney Todd back in '87 or '88.
    Not that that matters for anything, but I like to bring it up.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    I had a background and asylum warden parts in a college production of Sweeney Todd back in '87 or '88.

=Z=
    You, then, would understand how perfect a fit it is having Tim Burton and Johnny Depp doing the movie version.

I worked on the set crew for a high school production of it back in '94-ish. Our theatre director loved Stephen Sondheim. We did Into the Woods, Sunday in the Park With George, and Sweeny Todd in consecutive years.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"josdin00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    You, then, would understand how perfect a fit it is having Tim Burton and Johnny Depp doing the movie version.

I worked on the set crew for a high school production of it back in '94-ish. Our theatre director loved Stephen Sondheim. We did Into the Woods, Sunday in the Park With George, and Sweeny Todd in consecutive years.
    I dunno - can Depp sing?
    The Sweeney Todd role calls for some major pipes.
    We had a really strong baritone in that part.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

I dunno - can Depp sing?
    The Sweeney Todd role calls for some major pipes.
    We had a really strong baritone in that part.

=Z=
    From what I've read, they worked with Sondheim to adapt the musical for the movie. He approved of Depp's singing. I don't think he'd have a strong enough voice for a stage production, but it should work out just fine for the movie.

Here's an interesting review of the movie:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34665

Depp’s SWEENEY TODD is not the showy work of Jack Sparrow, he isn’t playing a character that can even be compared. Sparrow is about openly speaking and wanton physicality. Sweeney is a man boiling on the inside, he has experienced torture and confinement for years… he lost his wife and child and the center of his rage is upon the man that did him that wrong. He kills many, but there’s only one whom he’ll take pleasure in slicing. He hates himself as much as he loathes all others. He blames himself as being a fool to have been taken so unaware and for once being as blind as Antony.

Depp’s voice isn’t terribly harmonic, but it’s due to the lack of joy in his voice here. He’s as black as the great black pit and all the people who are filled with shit. He’s a tormented soul and his singing reflects that. Though, you shouldn’t get the feeling that he’s “one note” he isn’t. The first time we see the fire in his eyes and the charge of purpose is with the song, MY FRIENDS – which is a wonderfully bizarre duet – where he is singing with passion and communal sorrow for his razors, his old friends that he will use to exact his revenge…. Meanwhile, Mrs. Lovett (played by Helena Bonham Carter) is singing hoping to catch his eye and share in this reunion, but Sweeney is all about the blades and the purpose they will help him realize. My favorite song / scene with Depp is when he has the Judge (played by Alan Rickman) sitting in his chair and is relishing the opportunity to give him a second lower smile – and they’re singing PRETTY WOMEN.

PRETTY WOMEN is possibly one of the most dementedly awesome moments I’ve seen in a film ever. I have never seen SWEENEY TODD on stage, so this was all new – and when the Judge is singing about the specific pretty woman that he has his sites honed in upon… it’s Todd’s friggin’ daughter – and Todd is goading him forward, all the while he’s readying to slice the man’s throat. The song is lovely, twisted and amongst the most ironically cheerful moments of the film.

cont'd...

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

=Z=
    well that accounts for a few things then ... ;D
    asylum warden to singer to purple preacher
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...