Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Surprising ways to waste gas

    These six common driving habits can easily increase your pain at the pump.
    http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/579/6-ways-youre-wasting-gas;_ylc=X3oDMTE3YjFtdXFhBF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwL XRvZGF5BHNsawN3YXN0aW5nLWdhcw--

  2. #2
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262

    Re: Surprising ways to waste gas

    Bonus tip: Don't idle your engine to let it warm up before driving. It does your engine no good and it wastes gas. Instead, start driving right away, but drive gently until the engine is warm.
    Obviously this person has never driven in the mid-west during the winter time.

    Windows don't defrost without heat & you don't get heat from a cold engine.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #3
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re: Surprising ways to waste gas

    "singersp" wrote:
    Bonus tip: Don't idle your engine to let it warm up before driving. It does your engine no good and it wastes gas. Instead, start driving right away, but drive gently until the engine is warm.
    Obviously this person has never driven in the mid-west during the winter time.

    Windows don't defrost without heat & you don't get heat from a cold engine.

    here also Singer, and not to mention, it's good to warm up not only the car but the oil itself needs to warm up to circulate at a resonable rate...Something it won't do when to cold...


    Thus, poorer gas mileage if oil is bad, low, or cold.....


    So much for the bright ones I guess...LOL


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  4. #4
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,233

    Re: Surprising ways to waste gas

    "NordicNed" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Bonus tip: Don't idle your engine to let it warm up before driving. It does your engine no good and it wastes gas. Instead, start driving right away, but drive gently until the engine is warm.
    Obviously this person has never driven in the mid-west during the winter time.

    Windows don't defrost without heat & you don't get heat from a cold engine.

    here also Singer, and not to mention, it's good to warm up not only the car but the oil itself needs to warm up to circulate at a resonable rate...Something it won't do when to cold...


    Thus, poorer gas mileage if oil is bad, low, or cold.....


    So much for the bright ones I guess...LOL
    Again what a great Yahoo article. Obviously this guy lives in California and wakes up at 11 every day.

    Instead, start driving right away, but drive gently until the engine is warm
    LOL if you can't see where you're going you better be driving 'gently'

  5. #5
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262

    Re: Surprising ways to waste gas

    Back in the day before steering wheels locked when the engine was shut off & before power steering & power brakes, we used to turn off our engines & coast down hills instead of wasting gas.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #6
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    Re: Surprising ways to waste gas

    I see where Minneapolis has passed a law saying you cannot idle your car for more than 3 minutes to decrease pollution.
    http://kstp.com/article/stories/S469008.shtml?cat=1
    Who the heck's going to enforce that? From living there I can tell you without a doubt you cannot clear the frost off the windshield in 3 minutes.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

  7. #7
    olson_10's Avatar
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Surprising ways to waste gas

    Bonus tip: Don't idle your engine to let it warm up before driving. It does your engine no good and it wastes gas. Instead, start driving right away, but drive gently until the engine is warm.

    where the heck does this guy live? apparently hes never once in his life been to manitoba
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

  8. #8
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,564

    Re: Surprising ways to waste gas

    waste gas, there's plenty of it

  9. #9
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,578

    Re: Surprising ways to waste gas

    in winter time, i let my car idle for at least 10 minutes. back when my car worked it had a remote starter, so i just started it and left it long enough so the defroster melted all the ice.
    We're bringing purple back.

  10. #10
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re: Surprising ways to waste gas

    "singersp" wrote:
    Back in the day before steering wheels locked when the engine was shut off & before power steering & power brakes, we used to turn off our engines & coast down hills instead of wasting gas.



    I'll admite Singer, been there - done that, LOL
    :


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Similar Threads

  1. 5 Surprising Divinity School Dropouts
    By VikingMike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
  2. Surprising success excites Packers about ’08
    By COJOMAY in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM
  3. Surprising Stat Leaders - Week 5
    By V-Unit in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
  4. We're letting our own Brian Westbrook go to waste...
    By RandyMoss8404 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 09:07 AM
  5. It is a bit surprising isn't it!
    By VKG4LFE in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 07:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •