http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27201871/?GT1=43001

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Suit against God tossed over lack of address

wow. people are just amazing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Wow is right.
    Except I wouldn't have called that amazing.
    More like asinine.

Although this was kind of funny:
    "The court itself acknowledges the existence of God," Chambers said Wednesday. "A consequence of that acknowledgment is a recognition of God's omniscience."

Therefore, Chambers said, "Since God knows everything, God has notice of this lawsuit."
    Frivolous doesn't even begin to describe this case.
    Even if the court did rule in favor of [s]the idiot[/s] Chambers, I would say that God is somewhat outside the jurisdiction of a court in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Good for that judge to dismiss it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

that is fucking stupid

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I didn't know you could sue something that isn't real...
    We're bringing purple back.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"gregair13" wrote:
    I didn't know you could sue something that isn't real...
    Way to turn a lighthearted thread into something that will almost certainly offend about half of the people here.
    Think before you post shit like that.
    :
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

So we should close down all debate if it "might offend"?

I don't get that. Especially from religious people who claim to represent "The Way", and "Truth" (with a capital T).

Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins have been saying this for a couple years: this "religious correctness", where we are not allowed to state any doubts at all about dogma (while religious people feel free to lecture us, for instance, on morality) has to end soon. It is a total double standard.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"StillPurple" wrote:
    So we should close down all debate if it "might offend"?

I don't get that. Especially from religious people who claim to represent "The Way", and "Truth" (with a capital T).

Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins have been saying this for a couple years: this "religious correctness", where we are not allowed to state any doubts at all about dogma (while religious people feel free to lecture us, for instance, on morality) has to end soon. It is a total double standard.
    You mean like the double standard of those who didn't fight for their rights and freedom still being entitled to such?
    As far as I'm aware, this government has declared you free to believe and express what you like. The hell with what someone else says or believes.

It should be noted that it takes a fair amount of arrogance for any government to grant freedoms originally granted by the almighty.
    Governments can only remove those freedoms in my mind.
    Have a nice day.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I don't get that. Where in the U.S. Constitution does it say you have to "fight" for your freedoms to have them ?

I do agree that our government is or should be neutral toward religion. Religion is fine in the private sphere. We have separation of Church and State in the U.S. Thomas Jefferson once wrote, "What should it bother me if my neighbor believes in the Christian god, the Hindu gods, or no god at all ?". Unfortunately, we have lost that in this country, to a big extent. Yesterday, Sarah Palin said something like "We need to thank God that He gave America Oil and Gas".

... now, according to the "let religion alone, and don't make anyone uncomfortable about their faith" logic, I would have to not say how stupid that statment seems, to me. But that is not what is happening. Religious people are not inside their homes, talking about whatever it is they believe. They are out in public, making VERY public announcements about their religion, and then saying that their way is better and we should run the entire country based on their mythology (sorry, but I refer to religion as mythology, because that is what it is to me).

So if you bring it out into the "public square", don't be mad if I tell you what I think about it.

That is all I am saying.

I do have respect for religous people, IF their religion is not ridiculous and/or arrogant. But I have zero respect for someone who says that the world is 6,000 years old or that "God" put fossils in the earth, and when we now dig them up and carbon date them to 55 million years old, it is just "the big guy in the sky" tricking us. Because to me, that kind of religion is: a. dumb, b. insane, c. damn dangerous.

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

Religion is a way to profit off of people's spirituality.

People confuse "religion" with "spirituality"... you may be a very "religious" person, but not have an ounce of "spirituality".

As Paul McCartney once said, "I fear religions start wars."
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast