Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
    magicci is offline Jersey Retired

student protest across the country!!

ok well with all the student protest all over the country i didnt go to school today. I'm mexican but im not protesting. I just didnt go to school because no one was gonna be there.

Students Walk Out in Protest Again

By Yealee Song,

March 27, 2006, 11:11 AM PST

About 1,500 students have gathered outside City Hall in downtown Los Angeles to protest a bill that would crack down on illegal immigration.

The Los Angeles Police Department says it has gone on citywide tactical alert as a precaution because of protests in various parts of the city.

Earlier today, about 2,000 high school students walked out of class for the second time in a week, joining immigrants and advocates in a march to protest the bill. Last Friday approximately 3,000 students walked out of class in a similar protest, coming just one day before a massive rally for the same cause that drew half a million people.

At Huntington Park High School, students climbed over a chain-link fence when the school locked the gates after classes started.

Police are keeping watch but no arrests have been made.

The cheering, boisterous students waved flags and wore white T-shirts denoting peace.

According to L.A. school district spokeswoman Monica Carazo, students from at least eight schools from the San Fernando Valley to Pacific Palisades have walked out:

About 1,000 students from Los Angeles High School, 500 students from Bell, South Gate and Huntington Park high schools, 300 students from Belmont High School, 100 from Roosevelt High School and 150 from Birmingham High School. And according to the Alhambra Unified School District, about 200 students from Alhambra High School and at least one other school are involved in the protests as well.

Today is a day that honors Cesar Chavez, the late leader of the United Farm Workers Union.

Protesters object a U.S. House bill introduced by Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., which would make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally, impose new penalties on employers who hire illegal immigrants and erect fences along the U.S.-Mexican border.

The bill, HR 4437, would require employers to verify Social Security numbers with the Department of Homeland Security and local law enforcement agencies would be reimbursed for detaining illegal immigrants.

Refugees with aggravated felony convictions would be barred from receiving green cards.

Re: student protest!

for a live look click here and in a black box it says live video, click that
    http://ktla.trb.com/

Del Rio Guest

So these kids are in support of illegal immigration?

The schools don't give allowances for protest time right? I mean missing class means missing credits so by protesting they are hurting their grades? Or no?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I am glad to see people care about something these days.

Sad part is, none of these protester can vote.

I don't know the details behind the law they are protesting, but what is the problem of actually cracking down on Illegal Immigrants.

"Del Rio" wrote:

The schools don't give allowances for protest time right? I mean missing class means missing credits so by protesting they are hurting their grades? Or no?
    grades are easy to make up over the course of a day. im thinking about all the money the schools get payed for each kid and how much of it they are losing. they are protesting because some illegal immigrants are actually hard working people in this country, and the senate wants to make illegal immigration a felony.

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

"magicci" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

grades are easy to make up over the course of a day. im thinking about all the money the schools get payed for each kid and how much of it they are losing. they are protesting because some illegal immigrants are actually hard working people in this country, and the senate wants to make illegal immigration a felony.
    Just because they are hard working, it doesn't make it right for them to be here.
    However, the government does make it extremely hard to become a citizen.....i have no problems w/ them being here
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

Del Rio Guest

"magicci" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

I would be surprised if even effected them one bit. Maybe if you sat out a semester. More then likely they just screw your guyses citizenship and make you make it up in the summer.

Illegal Immigrants are called illegal immigrants for a reason lol.

Re: student protest across the country!!

What these people have to understand is that illegal immigration is exactly what it says...illegal! There are immigration laws for a reason, granted we do have many privelages in this country that I wish the rest of the world coudl expierence, but its just not possible. Without immigration laws our population would slowly become out of hand. I just wish people understood exactly why the government MUST regulate immigration.

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

Well all in all it is called ILLEGAL immigration... Unless they want to make it completely free and just be able to cross at any point and live here without having to become a registered citizen. Maybe they don't understand the effects that will have on the U.S.? I don't mean to offend anyone, but it is illegal anyway. I understand the testing that has to be done and the unfairness that gets involved with that and the whole system, but making it legal would cause a big mess with over population and whatever else.. Probably crime cuz there are those diehards out there that won't stop at anything.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: student protest across the country!!

"magicci" wrote:
    ok well with all the student protest all over the country i didnt go to school today. I'm mexican but im not protesting. I just didnt go to school because no one was gonna be there.

Students Walk Out in Protest Again

By Yealee Song,

March 27, 2006, 11:11 AM PST

About 1,500 students have gathered outside City Hall in downtown Los Angeles to protest a bill that would crack down on illegal immigration.

The Los Angeles Police Department says it has gone on citywide tactical alert as a precaution because of protests in various parts of the city.

Earlier today, about 2,000 high school students walked out of class for the second time in a week, joining immigrants and advocates in a march to protest the bill. Last Friday approximately 3,000 students walked out of class in a similar protest, coming just one day before a massive rally for the same cause that drew half a million people.

At Huntington Park High School, students climbed over a chain-link fence when the school locked the gates after classes started.

Police are keeping watch but no arrests have been made.

The cheering, boisterous students waved flags and wore white T-shirts denoting peace.

According to L.A. school district spokeswoman Monica Carazo, students from at least eight schools from the San Fernando Valley to Pacific Palisades have walked out:

About 1,000 students from Los Angeles High School, 500 students from Bell, South Gate and Huntington Park high schools, 300 students from Belmont High School, 100 from Roosevelt High School and 150 from Birmingham High School. And according to the Alhambra Unified School District, about 200 students from Alhambra High School and at least one other school are involved in the protests as well.

Today is a day that honors Cesar Chavez, the late leader of the United Farm Workers Union.

Protesters object a U.S. House bill introduced by Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., which would make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally, impose new penalties on employers who hire illegal immigrants and erect fences along the U.S.-Mexican border.

The bill, HR 4437, would require employers to verify Social Security numbers with the Department of Homeland Security and local law enforcement agencies would be reimbursed for detaining illegal immigrants.

Refugees with aggravated felony convictions would be barred from receiving green cards.
    I don't see your school in that list, magicci???
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast