Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Stephon Marbury defends Michael Vick, calls dogfighting a sport

NEW YORK (AP) -- New York Knicks guard Stephon Marbury defended Michael Vick, calling dogfighting a sport and comparing it to hunting.

Marbury spoke Monday about the federal dogfighting conspiracy charges against Vick while promoting his basketball shoe in Albany, N.Y.

"I think it's tough," Marbury said, according to Albany TV station Capital News 9. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. He also faces possible prosecution in Virginia.

"I think it's tough that we build Michael Vick up and then we break him down," Marbury said. "I think he's one of the superb athletes, and he's a good human being. I just think that he fell into a bad situation."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-marbury-vick&prov=ap&type=lgns

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Stephon Marbury defends Michael Vick, calls dogfighting a sport

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    NEW YORK (AP) -- New York Knicks guard Stephon Marbury defended Michael Vick, calling dogfighting a sport and comparing it to hunting.

Marbury spoke Monday about the federal dogfighting conspiracy charges against Vick while promoting his basketball shoe in Albany, N.Y.

"I think it's tough," Marbury said, according to Albany TV station Capital News 9. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. He also faces possible prosecution in Virginia.

"I think it's tough that we build Michael Vick up and then we break him down," Marbury said. "I think he's one of the superb athletes, and he's a good human being. I just think that he fell into a bad situation."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-marbury-vick&prov=ap&type=lgns
    Yeah, I read this. That guy is an idiot.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

How about kitten torture?

By this logic, that should be a sport too.
    -Sno

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Marbury is retarded.

He's comparing apples to oranges.

"I think it's tough that we build Michael Vick up and then we break him down," Marbury said.
    Vick broke himself down by operating an illegal dog fighting venture, and by getting federally indicted!

From everything I've read and heard, Vick probably is a good guy.
    But he didn't fall into a bad situation, he put himself there.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

DOG FIGHTING:

AN HISTORICAL NOTE

The modern ‘sport’ of dog fighting has its origins in the Coliseum combats of ancient Rome. Emperor Lucullus was reputedly the first to initiate the practice of pitting dogs against other animals: a group of dogs would be thrown into the Coliseum, doomed to be trampled to death by wild elephants.

Following the fall of Rome, the practice of fighting dogs made its reappearance in medieval England. Beginning in at least the 12th Century, such practices as bull and bear baiting, in addition to mortal combats between dogs and lions or elephants, became increasingly popular. In Elizabethan London, on the south banks of the Thames, a popular attraction was the Bear Gardens – an attraction that even Queen Elizabeth graced. Indeed, royal approval of bear baiting included the appointment of an official ‘Master of the Bears and Dogs.’

By the middle of the 17th Century, the popularity in England of baiting sports with at least the nobility had declined rather dramatically; by 1835, humane groups succeeded in outlawing all baiting sports in an act of Parliament known as the Humane Act of 1835.

The growing costliness and scarcity of bears and bulls in the 1700s for baiting purposes had encouraged the practice of fighting dogs against each other for sporting exhibition purposes. The passage of the Humane Act of 1835 however provided the chief incentive for the growth of dog fighting: with the baiting of larger animals illegal, dog fighting became the primary alternative for animal fighting fanciers.

The growth of dog fighting upon the passage of the Humane Act of 1835 was made possible by the development of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. First bred around 1800, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier combined the strength of the Bulldog with the quickness and viciousness of the Terrier. The result was an excellent fighting dog capable of engaging in voracious combat for hours.

With the importation of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier into the United States at around 1817, dog fighting quickly became a popular pastime in this country.

During the 1860s, the ‘sport’ was made illegal in most states in the U.S. However, the new state laws did little to stop the ‘sport.’ With the support of much of the populace and some local and police officials, the activity continued to flourish in the late 19th and early 20th Century: books devoted to the ‘sport’ were published, breeders specialized in developing fighting dogs (Colby, Komosinsky, etc.), world championship fights with large purses were held, and such groups as the United Kennel Club provided rules, approved referees, and an organizational framework for the ‘sport.’

The 1930s and ‘40s saw a decline of the ‘sport,’ with such groups as the United Kennel Club disassociating themselves from the activity. The last decade (‘60s and ‘70s) however has seen a major growth in the ‘sport’: two new publications have been established to further dog fighting (Sporting Dog Journal, 1967; Pit Dog Report, 1970), a breeding registry dedicated to fighting dogs has been revitalized, and the number of actively involved individuals in the ‘sport’ has expanded from 2,500 in 1962 to 5,000 in 1974.

The dog fight of today differs little from the fights of the early 20th Century. The pre-fight procedures are essentially the same: the dogs are weighed (dogs only within a pound of each other are normally fought) and then washed in soap water to remove any poison or drug that may have been placed on their furs. The rules followed in the fight are similar: the dogs fight until one turns; after a one-minute rest period, if the dog that turned refuses to scratch, he is declared the loser. And the results of today’s fights are tragically the same as those of 60 years ago: most dogs, following their struggle that may last as long as six hours, eventually die, mortally wounded either by exterior lacerations or internal injuries such as collapsed lungs.

Dog fighting has traditionally involved wager. Today, betting money of up to $100,000 is involved in dog fighting conventions. In turn, the large sums of gambling money have invited a variety of other unsavory activities and individuals: the theft of dogs, drugs, prostitution, organized criminal activity, and even murder have increasingly been tied to dog fighting.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Next time your bitting into your favorite chicken dish, think about where and how that chicken came from....

[img width=450 height=695]http://www.vegetarismus.ch/bilder/img/chicken_b_001.jpg[/img]

LMAO

;D

[img width=450 height=337]http://www.funnymos.com/funny-pictures/chicken.jpg[/img]

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"NordicNed" wrote:
    Next time your bitting into your favorite chicken dish, think about where and how that chicken came from....

[img width=450 height=695]http://www.vegetarismus.ch/bilder/img/chicken_b_001.jpg[/img]
    Whoo hoo!
    I'm having chicken for dinner tonight.
    Those chickens look pretty tasty.
    Hell, add some seasonings and I could damn near eat them with the feathers on.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:

Whoo hoo!
    I'm having chicken for dinner tonight.
    Those chickens look pretty tasty.
    Hell, add some seasonings and I could gol 'darnit near eat them with the feathers on.
    Would ya' look at that... Chickens doing ab workouts. I bet thats some lean, tasty chicken.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

It's an interesting, though misguided point.
    There are a lot of hunters on this site, so I'd be interested in getting their opinion.

What is it about dog fighting that we as a society find so reprehensible?
    Is it just one thing?

1. Is it the loss of animal life?
    If so hunting and dogfighting could be considered equal

2. Is it because their dogs, and not other types of animals?
    Is it because many people have dogs as pets that they take a more personal offense when their killed?
    Is killing deer somehow more acceptable than dogs?
    Why?

3. Is it the manner in which their we killed?
    If Vick just shot underperforming dogs rather than the laughably more difficult drowning or slamming into the ground or electrocuting, would it be more acceptable.

4. Was it that he was exploiting animals and putting their lives at risk for personal entertainment and $.
    If so, it isn't much of a stretch to consider Horse Racing similar, considering how many get put down when they trip and break a leg.

Personally I think it's simply because of the violent nature of dogfighting, people can't imagine watching dogs tear each other apart (even if that's what animals sometimes do the wild).
    It's the means to animal death that seems to be the issue, not the fact that dogs are dead, or that Vick was entertained and made money off of it.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast