Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: states who do not have tough child support laws have 27%

I agree, no politics.

LETS DISCUSS RELIGION INSTEAD!

COME ON
    Vikings from all over the world. Lets unite!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Benficaviking" wrote:

COME ON
    Oh man, that parallels politics! Argh!!!

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"Benficaviking" wrote:

COME ON
    That would beworse than politics. LOL
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

I FORGOT THE SMILLY FACE of joke!!

well we can discuss the moss trade..... ( smiley face)
    Vikings from all over the world. Lets unite!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Odin VAVikefan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Odin VAVikefan" wrote:
    2 things:

#1. That statistic (27% fewer single moms) doesn't account for whether that 27% is composed of first-time married couples, or situations in states which force divorced moms with kids to have to re-marry against their better judgement, just because an adult male will bring in more money. Single-mother households are not always (or even a majority of the time) dysfunctional (more than most, I mean) or less worthy than two-parent households. Moreover, I for one would rather live in a single-parent household (I did, although my dad was cool) than in a household in which the state didn't force my deadbeat (hypothetical) dad to help my mother support me, resulting in my mom having to shack up with some smelly alcoholic abusive dickhole, just because he brings in some cash.

The point is, statistics (especially ones thrown into the public forum without adequate explanation of the survey's research methods, scope, region/culture, sources of funding, and the questions posed to those surveys) can hardly be taken at face value, because numbers can never tell the individual histories and backgrounds for given situations.

#2. I firmly believe (as I stated in the last month before the 2004 election) that we should make a strong effort to avoid political and culturally controversial topics here. I've never seen a message board thread which ever convinced anyone posting to change their point of view, and have only witnessed them degrade into flame-wars. The exception to that observation is on political message boards, which I feel PP.O should never become. I eat, breathe, and pooh politics, and this place is where I come to get away from that, and relax by reading and talking about my Vikes. And yet, the dorky political junkie/activist that I am, it's far from my nature to let any political topic stand without comment...so I would personally prefer that we avoid my radical blather altogether by not even going there. I can take that crap to more fitting message boards. I readily admit that I'm not in a position to dictate what rules should be laid down by PP.O, and I can only speak for myself, but if others agree that PP.O should steer clear of political threads, lemme get a 'hell yeah!'
    Just don't tell me that you commute to DC every day for work...I know plenty of people who do that here!!! :lol:
    Nah, I just finished my edjumication at Mary Washington here in F-Burg and got an apartment here after getting a job with GEICO and moving from Alexandria (where I stayed between semesters). BTW, my sister lives close to you (you're in Falls Church??); in the condominiums across the streets where Sears was and where the shopping center with Home Depot stands, in Seven Corners.
    Yeah, I know where that is...that Home Depot was the one where that lady got shot by the snipers...your sister must have been pretty scared. My wife and I went down to Lake Anna in your neck of the woods a few weekends ago...it is so peaceful down there. Do you live in F-Burg or more in the country?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"webmaster" wrote:
    Do we need political debates? They lead to nothing good. Or else I will need to section off an area for such agenda items.
    Not that I know anything but....I think that would be a good idea. I think it would be good just to get it out of the general discussion, because like you said it doesn't lead to anything good.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Benficaviking" wrote:

COME ON
    Losing My Religion - REM

Life is bigger
    It's bigger than you
    And you are not me
    The lengths that I will go to
    The distance in your eyes
    Oh no I've said too much
    I set it up

That's me in the corner
    That's me in the spotlight
    Losing my religion
    Trying to keep up with you
    And I don't know if I can do it
    Oh no I've said too much
    I haven't said enough
    I thought that I heard you laughing
    I thought that I heard you sing
    I think I thought I saw you try

Every whisper
    Of every waking hour I'm
    Choosing my confessions
    Trying to keep an eye on you
    Like a hurt lost and blinded fool
    Oh no I've said too much
    I set it up

Consider this
    The hint of the century
    Consider this
    The slip that brought me
    To my knees failed
    What if all these fantasies
    Come flailing around
    Now I've said too much
    I thought that I heard you laughing
    I thought that I heard you sing
    I think I thought I saw you try

But that was just a dream
    That was just a dream

YOU ALL KNEW IT WAS COMING!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Odin VAVikefan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Odin VAVikefan" wrote:
    2 things:

#1. That statistic (27% fewer single moms) doesn't account for whether that 27% is composed of first-time married couples, or situations in states which force divorced moms with kids to have to re-marry against their better judgement, just because an adult male will bring in more money. Single-mother households are not always (or even a majority of the time) dysfunctional (more than most, I mean) or less worthy than two-parent households. Moreover, I for one would rather live in a single-parent household (I did, although my dad was cool) than in a household in which the state didn't force my deadbeat (hypothetical) dad to help my mother support me, resulting in my mom having to shack up with some smelly alcoholic abusive dickhole, just because he brings in some cash.

The point is, statistics (especially ones thrown into the public forum without adequate explanation of the survey's research methods, scope, region/culture, sources of funding, and the questions posed to those surveys) can hardly be taken at face value, because numbers can never tell the individual histories and backgrounds for given situations.

#2. I firmly believe (as I stated in the last month before the 2004 election) that we should make a strong effort to avoid political and culturally controversial topics here. I've never seen a message board thread which ever convinced anyone posting to change their point of view, and have only witnessed them degrade into flame-wars. The exception to that observation is on political message boards, which I feel PP.O should never become. I eat, breathe, and pooh politics, and this place is where I come to get away from that, and relax by reading and talking about my Vikes. And yet, the dorky political junkie/activist that I am, it's far from my nature to let any political topic stand without comment...so I would personally prefer that we avoid my radical blather altogether by not even going there. I can take that crap to more fitting message boards. I readily admit that I'm not in a position to dictate what rules should be laid down by PP.O, and I can only speak for myself, but if others agree that PP.O should steer clear of political threads, lemme get a 'hell yeah!'
    Just don't tell me that you commute to DC every day for work...I know plenty of people who do that here!!! :lol:
    Nah, I just finished my edjumication at Mary Washington here in F-Burg and got an apartment here after getting a job with GEICO and moving from Alexandria (where I stayed between semesters). BTW, my sister lives close to you (you're in Falls Church??); in the condominiums across the streets where Sears was and where the shopping center with Home Depot stands, in Seven Corners.
    Yeah, I know where that is...that Home Depot was the one where that lady got shot by the snipers...your sister must have been pretty scared. My wife and I went down to Lake Anna in your neck of the woods a few weekends ago...it is so peaceful down there. Do you live in F-Burg or more in the country?
    Actually, my sister was in Iceland during that week, which was funny because she got lectured by a bunch of Icelanders about how lucky she was to be away from "that violent country where everybody is being killed by the snipers." As far as FRednecksburg goes, I just got an apartment which is on Rte 3 right in the midpoint between I-95 and Rte 1. Good location to be in this town...
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Politics and religion are two of the most heated topics ever...right after the "(insert team name here) SUCKS!!" topics of course.

While not a fan of sociopolitical debate in an unmoderated format (Too much potential for flame wars and true hard feelings), I think it is imnpossible to seperate them out entirely.

We come here to talk football...but Football players are people who say and do things that wind up being sociopolitical and we then discuss them. EXAMPLE: The Onterrio Smith Marijuana topic. While it's true that no one who posted came around to the "other side" in that, it's also true that no one (to my knowledge) walked away from that hating people on the other side.

So, while I'm against talking Politics, Religion, or Sociological issues on their own, I don't see how we can completely eliminate them.

As for this particular topic...I have rather strong views on it so I will abstain from tossing fuel on the fire.

Caine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast