Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

    MERRILL, Wis. (AP) - A service station that offered discounted gas to senior citizens and people supporting youth sports has been ordered by the state to raise its prices.

    Center City BP owner Raj Bhandari has been offering senior citizens a 2 cent per gallon price break and discount cards that let sports boosters pay 3 cents less per gallon.

    But the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection says those deals violate Wisconsin's Unfair Sales Act, which requires stations to sell gas for about 9.2 percent more than the wholesale price.

    Bhandari said he received a letter from the state auditor last month saying the state would sue him if he did not raise his prices. The state could penalize him for each discounted gallon he sold, with the fine determined by a judge.

    Bhandari, who bought the station a year ago, said he worries customers will think he stopped the discounts because he wants to make more money. About 10 percent of his customers had used the discount cards.

    Dale Van Camp said he bought a $50 card to support the local youth hockey program. It would have saved him about $100 per year on gas, he said.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

    He should just roll the discount into something else, like car washes or discount on merchandise purchased.

    The law is there to prevent price wars.
    Larger gas station chains have the extra overhead needed to drop prices below resale in a particular region long enough to drive the smaller stations out of business.
    Then they raise the prices even higher than they were before, and the public gets screwed because there is nowhere else to go.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re: State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    He should just roll the discount into something else, like car washes or discount on merchandise purchased.

    The law is there to prevent price wars.
    Larger gas station chains have the extra overhead needed to drop prices below resale in a particular region long enough to drive the smaller stations out of business.
    Then they raise the prices even higher than they were before, and the public gets screwed because there is nowhere else to go.
    That might be why the law was enacted but I don't think this owner was trying to start a local monopoly but trying to help out the community while growing customer loyalty.

  4. #4
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    He should just roll the discount into something else, like car washes or discount on merchandise purchased.

    The law is there to prevent price wars.
    Larger gas station chains have the extra overhead needed to drop prices below resale in a particular region long enough to drive the smaller stations out of business.
    Then they raise the prices even higher than they were before, and the public gets screwed because there is nowhere else to go.
    That might be why the law was enacted but I don't think this owner was trying to start a local monopoly but trying to help out the community while growing customer loyalty.
    Oh I agree.
    But if you make exceptions for him, the large chains will be all over the state auditor's office with their lawyers demanding the same treatment.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #5
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,572

    Re: State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

    So it's his fault gas is so cheap these days.

  6. #6
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,065

    Re: State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

    What's 2 cents when gas is 3.09 a gallon anyways?

    Frickin crooks. They are all crooks. Everyone is a crook.

  7. #7
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    16,013

    Re: State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

    That's funny. The gas station right by my house offers 5 cents off a gallon between 9 pm and 10 pm. For about 2 months they had to take that special off because the state told them they couldn't do that. Now it's back on and they have a sponsor that probably makes up the money! Pretty funny. Needless to say I only get gas between 9 and 10 to save a whopping 60 cents or so! lol

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  8. #8
    tb04512's Avatar
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    That's funny. The gas station right by my house offers 5 cents off a gallon between 9 pm and 10 pm. For about 2 months they had to take that special off because the state told them they couldn't do that. Now it's back on and they have a sponsor that probably makes up the money! Pretty funny. Needless to say I only get gas between 9 and 10 to save a whopping 60 cents or so! lol
    lol i read this and immediatly thought of a friend who goes to a gas station and wont pay the price so he'll go back a day later when its 3 cents cheaper.. im like
    ??? how much did u say a dollar?? lol

    Thanks josdin00

Similar Threads

  1. Police find 22 dogs in station wagon with owner
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 12:02 PM
  3. Vikings To Raise Ticket Prices
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 12:20 AM
  4. Station Owner Kills Rival in Gas Price Fight
    By COJOMAY in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 05:39 PM
  5. Cards suck, still raise ticket prices
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 08:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •