COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

MERRILL, Wis. (AP) - A service station that offered discounted gas to senior citizens and people supporting youth sports has been ordered by the state to raise its prices.

Center City BP owner Raj Bhandari has been offering senior citizens a 2 cent per gallon price break and discount cards that let sports boosters pay 3 cents less per gallon.

But the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection says those deals violate Wisconsin's Unfair Sales Act, which requires stations to sell gas for about 9.2 percent more than the wholesale price.

Bhandari said he received a letter from the state auditor last month saying the state would sue him if he did not raise his prices. The state could penalize him for each discounted gallon he sold, with the fine determined by a judge.

Bhandari, who bought the station a year ago, said he worries customers will think he stopped the discounts because he wants to make more money. About 10 percent of his customers had used the discount cards.

Dale Van Camp said he bought a $50 card to support the local youth hockey program. It would have saved him about $100 per year on gas, he said.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: State Tells Gas Station Owner To Raise Prices

He should just roll the discount into something else, like car washes or discount on merchandise purchased.

The law is there to prevent price wars.
    Larger gas station chains have the extra overhead needed to drop prices below resale in a particular region long enough to drive the smaller stations out of business.
    Then they raise the prices even higher than they were before, and the public gets screwed because there is nowhere else to go.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    He should just roll the discount into something else, like car washes or discount on merchandise purchased.

Larger gas station chains have the extra overhead needed to drop prices below resale in a particular region long enough to drive the smaller stations out of business.
    Then they raise the prices even higher than they were before, and the public gets screwed because there is nowhere else to go.
    That might be why the law was enacted but I don't think this owner was trying to start a local monopoly but trying to help out the community while growing customer loyalty.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

That might be why the law was enacted but I don't think this owner was trying to start a local monopoly but trying to help out the community while growing customer loyalty.
    Oh I agree.
    But if you make exceptions for him, the large chains will be all over the state auditor's office with their lawyers demanding the same treatment.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

So it's his fault gas is so cheap these days.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

What's 2 cents when gas is 3.09 a gallon anyways?

Frickin crooks. They are all crooks. Everyone is a crook.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That's funny. The gas station right by my house offers 5 cents off a gallon between 9 pm and 10 pm. For about 2 months they had to take that special off because the state told them they couldn't do that. Now it's back on and they have a sponsor that probably makes up the money! Pretty funny. Needless to say I only get gas between 9 and 10 to save a whopping 60 cents or so! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    That's funny. The gas station right by my house offers 5 cents off a gallon between 9 pm and 10 pm. For about 2 months they had to take that special off because the state told them they couldn't do that. Now it's back on and they have a sponsor that probably makes up the money! Pretty funny. Needless to say I only get gas between 9 and 10 to save a whopping 60 cents or so! lol
    lol i read this and immediatly thought of a friend who goes to a gas station and wont pay the price so he'll go back a day later when its 3 cents cheaper.. im like
    ??? how much did u say a dollar?? lol

Thanks josdin00