Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Star Trek Nerds

  1. #1
    Del Rio Guest

    Star Trek Nerds

    Ok here is the deal. My wife and I spent a good portion of last weekend cleaning out her grandfathers house because he is moving. In the back room we found a Spock doll that was in box.

    It is a Mego action figure from 1974. In perfect condition. My wife takes it to her grandfather and he informs her that he bought that thing back in 75 for her dad. So we call her dad and he was like oh yeah I forgot about that, I don't want it sell it on ebay or something.

    Well my wife listed it on ebay and she put a buyout of 100.00 well it sold in like 4 minutes. So now I'm sitting here thinking wow she probably could have gotten more. Which to tell you the truth I don't care, but now I am curious to the real value.

    I do know that on the cover of the box there are only 5 characters listed, which from what I have gathered differs from later versions of the action figure which listed 6 that added a woman because of the large feminist movement.

    So I know there are some Star Trek freaks out there, probably some that have these action figures. If you do not want to make it known feel free to PM me. I just want to see how much this would really go for.

    Mostly because I told my wife to put no buyout. So in a round about way this is more for me to be able to say I TOLD YOU SO WOMAN!

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Star Trek Nerds

    * Disclaimer - I am not a Star Trek nerd.. but I have done some collecting of Star Trek memorabilia before *

    Wow.
    The fact that you had one with only 5 characters means it was part of the first group of the first series, which was produced only for a short time in 1975.
    The second group and and later included Uhura, and they used an inferior glue, which makes the first series that much more valuable.

    $100 is a fair price, but for a first series (first group) you could probably have gotten closer to $150
    if you didn't put a buy out on it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Star Trek Nerds

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    * Disclaimer - I am not a Star Trek nerd.. but I have done some collecting of Star Trek memorabilia before *

    Wow.
    The fact that you had one with only 5 characters means it was part of the first group of the first series, which was produced only for a short time in 1975.
    The second group and and later included Uhura, and they used an inferior glue, which makes the first series that much more valuable.

    $100 is a fair price, but for a first series (first group) you could probably have gotten closer to $150
    if you didn't put a buy out on it.
    I should make note that I use the term Star Trek Nerd with no disrespect intended ;D

    Thanks Nodak, that's not much I told you so power so I guess I lose on that one. I bet the lady that bought this action figure is watching the mailbox daily. She allready paid us to like 10 seconds after she bought him. I wonder what poor Mr. Spock will endure when he arrives at his destination.

  4. #4
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,784
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Star Trek Nerds

    "Del" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    * Disclaimer - I am not a Star Trek nerd.. but I have done some collecting of Star Trek memorabilia before *

    Wow.
    The fact that you had one with only 5 characters means it was part of the first group of the first series, which was produced only for a short time in 1975.
    The second group and and later included Uhura, and they used an inferior glue, which makes the first series that much more valuable.

    $100 is a fair price, but for a first series (first group) you could probably have gotten closer to $150
    if you didn't put a buy out on it.
    I should make note that I use the term Star Trek Nerd with no disrespect intended ;D

    Thanks Nodak, that's not much I told you so power so I guess I lose on that one. I bet the lady that bought this action figure is watching the mailbox daily. She allready paid us to like 10 seconds after she bought him. I wonder what poor Mr. Spock will endure when he arrives at his destination.
    reading that I just have a vision of a manic doll woman and the doll freaking out at where it has gone to ... bit like "Stinky Pete" at the end of Toy Story 2
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #5
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Star Trek Nerds

    Well if it were Star Wars, I may be able to help.
    ;D But I'm not much of a Star Trek fan, so I wouldn't really know. Although, 100 bucks doesn't sound too cheap for it, so I would think you're in the right range.

  6. #6
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Star Trek Nerds

    I would have given you a nickel for it, so it appears you came out ahead.
    Keep an eye on e-bay.
    That bastard will probably sell it for $100,000 and all you'll get to do is tell your wife, 'I told you so'.

  7. #7
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Star Trek Nerds

    "Prophet" wrote:
    I would have given you a nickel for it, so it appears you came out ahead.
    Keep an eye on e-bay.
    That bastard will probably sell it for $100,000 and all you'll get to do is tell your wife, 'I told you so'.
    Maybe I should rub human feces all over it just so I can tell if it really is my spock that is being sold on e-bay.

    You know if there was a person on this site that could take this thread and totally make it a gem it would be prophet, but he wasn't around so he gets an F+

  8. #8
    WBLVikeBabe's Avatar
    WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,614

    Re: Star Trek Nerds

    I can't help ya there Del, but PM NeumDog, I'm sure he'd know.

    [move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

  9. #9
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Star Trek Nerds

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Similar Threads

  1. Shock's Movie Review: "Star Trek"
    By shockzilla in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 01:15 AM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 09:46 AM
  3. Paramount/Milking The Star Trek Cash Cow.."AGAIN"
    By Frostbite in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 03:09 PM
  4. Star Trek, Remastered...
    By shockzilla in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 10:58 PM
  5. "Scotty" James Doohan of "Star Trek" fame dies at 85...
    By shockzilla in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 12:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •