Thread: Sports Writing

Sports Writing

I have a question to how hard is it to get a sports writing job?I am a 15yr old high school student that lives in illinois and i want to be a sports writer.How much do they get payed and how hard is it to be one.Thanks

Re: Sports Writing

Is anybody gonna help a brother out? This is my career choice man..Help me out!!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"DaVizzles" wrote:
    Is anybody gonna help a brother out? This is my career choice man..Help me out!!!
    Well, you posted this and the other thread in the Free Beer Forum.
    Probably why nobody replied.
    I am thinking you clicked on a topic in the "Latest Talk" and just started a New Topic.
    Have to go the the Forum Index and select the proper forum.

Also, gotta give people more than 9 minutes.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"DaVizzles" wrote:
    Can't help my friend.
    I don't know anything about it.

Recommend you contact a counselor at school.
    He/She can probably help you out with things like pre-reqs, colleges that offer courses etc etc.

Also I have found that google is a great source for info.
    Maybe you could google a few key words or phrases to see what you can get that way.

Good luck in your quest.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

This is my same career path at this point. I'll tell you right now that the most highly touted school for journalism, broadcast journalism, and sports journalism (that's what you'll want to go into in order to become a sportswriter or analyst) is the newhouse school of communications at Syracuse University. In order to get into Newhouse school under the new standards, you likely need 4 AP classes in high school, all A's and B's, top 5% of your high school class, and a very high SAT score. Now there are a lot of other Journalism and Broadcast journalism schools out there so I would consider talking to a college counseler at your high school and ask them about your career path.

Now I don't know the typical wages for a sports journalist but I imagine it varies as you go from lower to higher scale (local papers, local radio stations to things like sports illustrated and other high profile magazines and ESPN etc). I wouldn't expect something big starting out

How hard is it to be one? I don't know. It really depends on a lot of circumstances. Most people say it's the easiest job in the world but you can say that about almost anything and then it's a lot harder than it looks when it comes down to it. Do you get good English or Literature grades? Do you truly have a passion in sports or is this just a spur of the moment thing. If you truly are interested I would look for old episodes of the show dream job on ESPN. Cool stuff.

I hope that helped.

Yea man thanks alot. You said this is your career path? How old are you? Are you in college if so what college. I will probably go to Northern Illinois University or Beloit Community college possible Chicago St. Do you think these are worthy colleges to get a good job with.....Thanks alot

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

The most important thing is to talk to a college counseler to help you decide what you need to do in high school to help you later on in college (School newspaper? Morning announcements or school television? School Radio?) I'm no expert on this and the people at your school will be able to tell you where you could go with your grades and PSAT scores etc. There are plenty of large land grant state schools across the united states that have great journalism schools. I would ask a teacher or something if there's a college counseler you can talk to right away. They're the experts.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

If Kevin Hench can keep a job as a sportswriter, then you both have a very good chance of succeeding!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

gimli vike is offline Training Camp

Checking with an advisor at school as to what colleges offer the best in the way jounalism is good advice. If you find that writing your essays is the most rewarding thing that you do at school, then you are probably headed the right way with your choice of writing as a career.
    While you are pondering these choices, there are a few freelance web sites out there whereby you may get a chance to test your abilities as they often are looking for sports writers.
    Have a look at elance, It's a site which hooks up writers and customers who outsource their writing needs. I did some web writing there on sports a few times. It's not all that financially rewarding, but you learn about deadlines, quality writing needs, and the pressures of finding good topics on a regular basis. It's a bid/offer set up, and it takes some time to get a bid accepted. There is, however, a fee for joining and continuing as a bidder, which I do not agree with, but that's where the site makes it's money.
    Good luck finding a school that will give you the courses that you are looking for, I wish you well.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Another school with a great journalism program is Northwestern. A LOT of guys in mainstream media have come from the Medill school of journalism at Northwestern University (Michael Wilbon and Mike Greenberg to name two).

Here's some info. on the profession:

http://www.jobmonkey.com/sports/html/sports_journalism_jobs_newspap.html

Just like any career, it's going to be hard to end up like Wilbon or Greenberg. I'm sure there are 1000s of journalism majors around the country right now with the intent of going into sports writing.

Most will start out with small jobs, basically being the bitch boy for a local paper. If you're lucky you can get into a big city (Chicago, New York, LA) and work your way up from the bottom, but even the entry level journalism jobs at those places are difficult to come by.

If you look at most ESPN type guys (if that's what you aspire to be) they have made a splash somewhere else. No one comes right out and gets a job at ESPN, Sports Illustrated or a major newspaper. Mike Greenberg (who graduated from Northwestern's school of journalism) started in Chicago covering the Bulls and White Sox, etc. for a radio station and then left there for another radio station and ended up in TV for about 5 years before coming to ESPN.

Colin Cowherd (another ESPN Radio host) although not a journalism guy, started out small doing play by play for a minor league baseball team on the west coast. Then he held down jobs in Tampa, Portland and was a five time sportscaster of the year in Las Vegas. Then ESPN brought him in...he made a splash somewhere else and came in.

Wilbon started with internships at the Washington Post when he was 21 and worked his way up the food chain.

Like I said, it's hard and very few guys make it that far. You have to be VERY GOOD to do anything on a national level.

I hope some of that helps.