Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Re: Special Treatment my BUTT

"Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I don't recall the oil crisis of the early 70's or the crisis of the late 70's being caused by bank failures...
    In fact, I don't remember the banks failing at all either of those times.
    I could have swore the crisis was energy related and caused by OPEC refusing to export oil to any country that supported Israel during the
    Yom Kippur war.
    And the
    second oil crisis was on the wake of the Iranian Revolution.
    I would, however, argue that the US government deserves some blame in both of those crisis - I personally don't think that the formation of an Israeli state in the Middle East as compensation for atrocities committed in Europe is fair to the people who were living there at the time.
    And I think that the USA was irresponsible in our funding of multiple sides of conflict to keep the middle east destabilized in order to preserve oil interests in the region.

Of course I am apparently not as well read on history as others here.
    Not sure if I wrote it was caused by a bank failure... did I?

Pretty sure they teach us about the oil shortage of the 70's in the 5th grade.
    Well then you would think that you would see the difference between the system in place now and the system in place then.
    Of course, there is one common thread between the two - both were partially caused by deregulation.

I don't even know what your original point was anymore...
    ???
    So.... Daunte Stallworth, huh?
    Donte'
    [img width=450 height=450]http://rlv.zcache.com/no_nitpickers_allowed_tshirt-p235645436477744557t5zj_525.jpg[/img]

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4270311

Well what I get to post since no moderators around to see where this thread went.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"FuadFan" wrote:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4270311

Well what I get to post since no moderators around to see where this thread went.
    Funny quote from Goodell:

There is no reasonable dispute that your continued eligibility for participation at this time would undermine the integrity of and public confidence in our league.
    Yet, destroying evidence of your buddy's team (Kraft) cheating since 2000 (a span with 3 SB wins) doesn't undermine the integrity and public confidence in the league?

Interesting.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Don't know about you, but when I've had a few, the stereo goes up, my foot goes down and I pretty much think I'm Mario Andrette.
    I hate stopping for lights so I will typically take risks to beat one (hitting the gas when it turns yellow).
    Kindof a "Hurry up and Make it" mentality.
    If you think you're Mario Andretti, then you must run out of gas or crash right before you get to the finish.

=Z=
    Now that was funny.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Had it not been for the bailout, we'd be in far worse condition than the Great Depression...
    So in your opinion it was the American government that protected us?
    Interesting.
    Actually it just borrowed the funds from China to prolong the inevitable.

"Mr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Alls it takes is money I guess.

:'(
    The money has no effect on the criminal trial. That's a civil issue to avoid a lawsuit.

It was more of a complex case than most people made it out to be.

Some people call him a murderer, but there is no malice aforethought.
    Voluntary manslaughter due to recklessness? It's hard to pin recklessness on someone, as the definition is vague, and if he was drunk it would be hard to pin recklessness on a drunk person.
    Involuntary manslaughter? The guy was not in a crosswalk, so that makes it even harder to put the manslaughter charge on him, since the man was legally just as part of an accident as Stallworth was.

Really the DUI was the only concrete charge against him.

The family wanted this trial to be over and get on with their lives.

Stallworth reached a plea bargain, getting 30 days in jail, 2 years house arrest, 10 years probation, and 1000 hours community service.

The family wanted it to be done with, the civil suit was settled, and he got a pretty substantial sentence for a plea bargain especially since all they really had against him was the DUI, as the rest of the case involved vague definitions and the complexity of the man not crossing in a crosswalk, some could say his own "laziness" caused his death. The case would have taken forever, this result is better for all parties IMO.
    Not at all. A reckless act is defined by many penal codes as an act, when viewed by a "reasonable person" constitutes a dangerous or questionable action. Drinking and then driving, by any "reasonable" persons view is both. And manslaughter is just homocide without malice aforethought. No doubt the family is hurting, but alot of folks nowadays are real quick to go after a big settlement. I would not take a dime from some f8cker that killed a family member. I'd take it out of his ass if i got 1/2 a chance. But that's just me. And since when does it matter how long a case takes. Prosecuters go balls out at people in similar circumstances who can't afford to take it to trial with a decent lawyer. They offer 'em 1 or 2 year plea deals and threaten 5 to 7 year stretches if they don't take the deal. I have seen that happen twice to people I know. I really do believe it's all about the money. Those with, and those without. My buddy got 45 days jail time for a freaking bar fight where the worst injury was a fat lip for heaven's sake. Stallworth killed a guy. Just sayin'........
    Tuco the world.....

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Alls it takes is money I guess.

:'(
    The money has no effect on the criminal trial. That's a civil issue to avoid a lawsuit.

It was more of a complex case than most people made it out to be.

Some people call him a murderer, but there is no malice aforethought.
    Voluntary manslaughter due to recklessness? It's hard to pin recklessness on someone, as the definition is vague, and if he was drunk it would be hard to pin recklessness on a drunk person.
    Involuntary manslaughter? The guy was not in a crosswalk, so that makes it even harder to put the manslaughter charge on him, since the man was legally just as part of an accident as Stallworth was.

Really the DUI was the only concrete charge against him.

The family wanted this trial to be over and get on with their lives.

Stallworth reached a plea bargain, getting 30 days in jail, 2 years house arrest, 10 years probation, and 1000 hours community service.

The family wanted it to be done with, the civil suit was settled, and he got a pretty substantial sentence for a plea bargain especially since all they really had against him was the DUI, as the rest of the case involved vague definitions and the complexity of the man not crossing in a crosswalk, some could say his own "laziness" caused his death. The case would have taken forever, this result is better for all parties IMO.
    Not at all. A reckless act is defined by many penal codes as an act, when viewed by a "reasonable person" constitutes a dangerous or questionable action. Drinking and then driving, by any "reasonable" persons view is both. And manslaughter is just homocide without malice aforethought. No doubt the family is hurting, but alot of folks nowadays are real quick to go after a big settlement. I would not take a dime from some f8cker that killed a family member. I'd take it out of his ass if i got 1/2 a chance. But that's just me. And since when does it matter how long a case takes. Prosecuters go balls out at people in similar circumstances who can't afford to take it to trial with a decent lawyer. They offer 'em 1 or 2 year plea deals and threaten 5 to 7 year stretches if they don't take the deal. I have seen that happen twice to people I know. I really do believe it's all about the money. Those with, and those without. My buddy got 45 days jail time for a freaking bar fight where the worst injury was a fat lip for heaven's sake. Stallworth killed a guy. Just sayin'........
    Yes, there is the reasonable person standard.

However, it's not just from a viewer's perspective. They need to establish the mental state of the offender in order for the reasonable person standard to come into effect. If the offender's mental capacity is limited by intoxication, shock, or anything else the reasonable person standard is void.

Recklessness is a mens rea requirement in liability law. Basically it's better than intention, but worse than negligence.

For an act to be deemed reckless, foresight must be proven.
    The actor does not desire harm, but foresees the possibility of harmful consequence and consciously takes action anyway.

It's pretty subjective. The court needs to be able to determine what the defendant was thinking at the time the reckless act was committed. And if I were Stallworth's lawyer, I would use his intoxication. Stallworth was drunk, blew a .126 ABV. I'd say he did not foresee the consequences due to his intoxication.

Again, I'm not condoning drunk driving, or trying to defend Stallworth. I'm just looking at this from a legal perspective.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112