Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Soy is making kids '***'

No soy for my boys! (when my fiance has them!!)

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Don't drink soy, cows need to be milked.

douginc is offline Starter

Just recently on the show Family Guy, the 'ugly daughter' Meg swore she would be abstinent and never have sex.
    Her father informs her she can't, since she's what guys call, "A practice girl".

[/quote]

Haha I remeber that. Hilarious.

Anyways, very interesting. Where'd you go to college if you dont mind me asking?
    [/quote]

For my years of anthropology, I actually just went to a small community college near my house here, Century College.

I just happened to have an amazing teacher who took education extremely seriously, and since then was hooked and I've continued studying, and read tons of books on the topic.

Funny enough, my female friend who was in the same classes as I, went on to get her B.A. and is now getting her Masters in archaeological science from the "best" college in the country for that, in Philadelphia.
    She swore to me the education she receieved at Century for anthropology was much better.

bearitall Guest

My son has allergies to the protein in cows milk and has been on Soy products for the last 5-6 years and he is in the normal weight range for his age.
    The problem is parents today are LAZY!!
    They are too busy with work and meetings and the PTA.
    It is easer to give the kid a PS3 to babysit them then to send them to the park to play.

OK enough said BIA, as I could go on and on.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"douginc" wrote:

This is a genetic anomaly - it actually occurs during pregnancy.
    The fetus is either 'washed/bathed' in testosterone, meaning the womb will fill with testosterone, or be vacant of the hormone, during different portions of the gestation.
    How exactly does this happen?
    Note this doesn't seem like a genetic anomaly, but rather a hormonal imblance.

Should a baby be washed in testosterone during the moments of sexual organ creation, it will grow a ***** and be male.
    However, should it then be withheld testosterone during sexual choice and behavior, it will emerge a 'swishy' homosexual male.
    This is because typically 'pure' homosexual males will have a mother whose body withheld testosterone during key moments of gestation.
    This seems slightly misleading.
    Intial differentiation of the sexual organs is due to gene expression not exposure to hormones.
    True, hormone imbalances can lead to abnormal development, but generally it is the testosterone of the child (produced after cells have differentiated into Leydig cells) that furthur develops the sexual organs.
    I would be interested in finding out how much the minute amount of testosterone a female mother produces would contribute to this.

There are many studies upon homosexual experiences in chimpanzees. it occurs in their societies as well, in fact, for the same reasons.
    It usually occurs amongst the lower status members of their society (in other words, the ones less capable of obtaining resources/sexual acess to females).
    Now for chimpanzees, there is a very high segregation in sexual access to females by the lower members of society and the highest member (alpha male chimpanzee).
    The lowest members many times will die a virgin and the highest member will sometimes copulate with every female member of the tribe.
    It seems what you're describing is a behavioral adaptation for less "fit" organisms.
    If the chimpanzee was homosexual because of abnormal amounts of maternal testosterone during development, I see no reason why that chimpanzee child would experience the same levels in a different mother, especially when these abnormal testosterone levels that the child is exposed to during development is independent of that child genes.
    Even if for some reason the lower level males were able to reproduce better because of homosexual experiences, it seems as though it would still lose out to the alpha male or "superior" males, especially after hundreds of thousands of generations.

I suppose I just don't see the "genetic" connection.
    Is there any particular set of genes that are passed on from a homosexual (or I should say bisexual) to their child that increases the probability of developing into a individual with homosexual tendencies?
    Maybe you can explain it better, but it just seems like you're trying to say a non-genetically linked developmental abnormality leads to homosexuality, and somehow this is passed on through genetics?
    That's along the same lines of saying someone with spina bifida will transmit that on to a child, even though it's directly related to folic acid concentrations in the mother rather than genes.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Should a baby be washed in testosterone during the moments of sexual organ creation, it will grow a ***** and be male.
    However, should it then be withheld testosterone during sexual choice and behavior, it will emerge a 'swishy' homosexual male.
    This is because typically 'pure' homosexual males will have a mother whose body withheld testosterone during key moments of gestation.
    This seems slightly misleading.
    Intial differentiation of the sexual organs is due to gene expression not exposure to hormones.
    True, hormone imbalances can lead to abnormal development, but generally it is the testosterone of the child (produced after cells have differentiated into Leydig cells) that furthur develops the sexual organs.
    I would be interested in finding out how much the minute amount of testosterone a female mother produces would contribute to this.
    Is there another kind of Mother other than Female?
    ;D

Other than that single redundant word, I find your posts on this topic quite educational.
    Keep up the good work, Italian.

Caine

douginc is offline Starter

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "douginc" wrote:

This is a genetic anomaly - it actually occurs during pregnancy.
    The fetus is either 'washed/bathed' in testosterone, meaning the womb will fill with testosterone, or be vacant of the hormone, during different portions of the gestation.
    How exactly does this happen?
    Note this doesn't seem like a genetic anomaly, but rather a hormonal imblance.

You're right - it was a bad choice of words by me there.

I should have said hormonal imbalance.

There are many studies upon homosexual experiences in chimpanzees. it occurs in their societies as well, in fact, for the same reasons.
    It usually occurs amongst the lower status members of their society (in other words, the ones less capable of obtaining resources/sexual acess to females).
    Now for chimpanzees, there is a very high segregation in sexual access to females by the lower members of society and the highest member (alpha male chimpanzee).
    The lowest members many times will die a virgin and the highest member will sometimes copulate with every female member of the tribe.
    It seems what you're describing is a behavioral adaptation for less "fit" organisms.
    If the chimpanzee was homosexual because of abnormal amounts of maternal testosterone during development, I see no reason why that chimpanzee child would experience the same levels in a different mother, especially when these abnormal testosterone levels that the child is exposed to during development is independent of that child genes.
    Even if for some reason the lower level males were able to reproduce better because of homosexual experiences, it seems as though it would still lose out to the alpha male or "superior" males, especially after hundreds of thousands of generations.

I understand what you're saying, but for homosexual experiences, or 'bisexuality', there is not much differing between the body compositions of the members of the society.
    We're no longer talking about a hormonal imbalance, such as seen in pure homosexuality, which in itself is extremely rare.
    These are the same minds as all the others in society - only difference being they are not the alpha male.
    We're talking about a behavior that almost any member of the society could exhibit.

I suppose I just don't see the "genetic" connection.
    Is there any particular set of genes that are passed on from a homosexual (or I should say bisexual) to their child that increases the probability of developing into a individual with homosexual tendencies?
    Maybe you can explain it better, but it just seems like you're trying to say a non-genetically linked developmental abnormality leads to homosexuality, and somehow this is passed on through genetics?
    That's along the same lines of saying someone with spina bifida will transmit that on to a child, even though it's directly related to folic acid concentrations in the mother rather than genes.

Good questions, good points.
    "Bisexuality" is not a hormonal imbalance.
    These behaviors are exhibited by perfectly functioning members of society who came out in the, if you'd like to call it that, 'standard' or 'normal' form.

I don't want to overstep my boundries either, I'm not a very good geneticist/biologist.
    My strong suit is anthropological theory and human behavior - it gets a bit foggy for me if I try to delve deep into the brain chemical/workings.
    So, it seems you have quite a bit of knowledge in the area, or are very interested in biology.

I'm glad there's people with minds like yours - it helps for me to better understand the PROCESS of human behavior, where I focus more upon the REASONS.
    It would be very difficult to have one without the other.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123