Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Somebody needs to kick...

that Levy dude in the following article in the nuts...repeatedly!!! He isn't helping things by saying crap like what he said:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612/
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Somebody needs to kick...

Man that pisses me off ... Bushy rolling in just as the supplies show up, b/s

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

That wasn't very smart...

This one gets me going also:

Budget cuts delayed New Orleans flood control work

By Andy Sullivan Thu Sep 1, 7:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Bush administration funding cuts forced federal engineers to delay improvements on the levees, floodgates and pumping stations that failed to protect New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters, agency documents showed on Thursday.

The former head of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the agency that handles the infrastructure of the nation's waterways, said the damage in New Orleans probably would have been much less extensive had flood-control efforts been fully funded over the years.

"Levees would have been higher, levees would have been bigger, there would have been other pumps put in," said Mike Parker, a former Mississippi congressman who headed the engineering agency from 2001 to 2002.

"I'm not saying it would have been totally alleviated but it would have been less than the damage that we have got now."

Eighty percent of New Orleans was under water after Katrina blew through with much of the flooding coming after two levees broke.

A May 2005 Corps memo said that funding levels for fiscal years 2005 and 2006 would not be enough to pay for new construction on the levees.

Agency officials said on Thursday in a conference call that delayed work was not related to the breakdown in the levee system and Parker told Reuters the funding problems could not be blamed on the Bush administration alone.

"If we do stuff now it's not going to have an effect tomorrow," Parker said. "These projects are huge, they're expensive and they're not sexy."

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the administration had funded flood control efforts adequately.

Tensions over funding for the New Orleans levees emerged more than a year ago when a local official asserted money had been diverted to pay for the
    Iraq war. In early 2002, Parker told the U.S. Congress that the war on terrorism required spending cuts elsewhere in government.

Situated below sea level, New Orleans relied on a 300-mile
    network of levees, floodgates and pumps to hold back the waters of the Mississippi River and Lake Pontchartrain.

Levees were fortified after floods in 1927 and 1965, and Congress approved another ambitious upgrade after a 1995 flood killed six people.

Since 2001, the Army Corps has requested $496 million for that project but the Bush administration only budgeted $166 million, according to figures provided by the office of Louisiana Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu (news, bio, voting record).

Congress ultimately approved $250 million for the project during that time period.

Another project designed to shore up defenses along Lake Pontchartrain was similarly underfunded, as the administration budgeted $22 million of the $99 million requested by the Corps between 2001 and 2005. Congress boosted spending on that project to $42.5 million, according to Landrieu's office.

"It's clear that we didn't do everything we could to safeguard ourselves from this hurricane or from a natural disaster such as Katrina but hopefully we will learn and be more prepared next time," said Landrieu spokesman Brian Richardson.

Think what you may .....

This is a nice one also for anyone looking to do the U.S. harm:

Newspapers surprised at superpower 'humbled' by Hurricane Katrina

Fri Sep 2, 3:21 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Newspapers expressed surprise at the sight of the US superpower "humbled" as it tries to cope with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina that swept over the states of the Gulf coast.

"The sight of a superpower humbled is in itself humbling," the Daily Telegraph wrote in an editorial.

"In Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama over the past four days, the United States has been struggling to provide the basic necessities of life - food, water and medicine - to the victims of Hurricane Katrina," it said.

"Take New Orleans alone. The breached levees remain unrepaired. About 20,000 refugees have been living in appalling squalor in the Superdome sports stadium," it said.

"Young men have not only been looting with impunity but firing on National Guardsmen. And the authorities still have no idea how many people may have died," the conservative daily said.

"The forces of nature have smashed the fabric of society beyond recognition," it commented.

"Individualism is one of America's many adornments. But it can hamper efficiency as competing voices wrangle over who should be responsible, or to blame, for what," it said.

"The challenge facing (US President George W.) Bush is to harness the native 'can-do' spirit to a co-ordinated rescue plan masterminded by the White House and the Department of
    Homeland Security.

The Daily Mail newspaper echoed the same theme in its editorial entitled "The humbling of a superpower."

"Here is a superpower that can crush at will a tinpot dictatorship - but then becomes so bogged down in the grisly aftermath of war that it finds itself unable to respond to anything like adequately to the plight of tens of thousands of its own citizens engulfed by a natural calamity," it said.

"President Bush, his ratings already in free-fall, could pay a high price indeed for his military folly," it said.

[quote="cajunvike"]that Levy dude in the following article in the nuts...repeatedly!!! He isn't helping things by saying crap like what he said:

I agree!!! I guess if the help he's getting isn't good enough or fast enough he should just refuse it. Or maybe he should have evacuated a week ago when he was warned. Don't get me wrong ,I feel bad for these people but don't act like an asshole.

I'm exercising my ass by doing flexing exercises while typing. Prophet 3:42pm March 16, 2007
    "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms." Mike Ditka

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Whut an idiot!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

I was watching last night ,and one of the "educated" folks mentioned that the levees were built over years and years, and were actually, as he referred to them, "gifts from our grandparents". He mentioned that to really make any significant improvements to the levees, it would take a similar investment that wouldn't be enjoyed by us, but by "our children and grandchildren".

I fail to understand how Bush approving money for levees three-four years ago would have made a difference, in that case.

WOuldn't it have been more sensible for this to have happened in the 90's, during the economic boom, instead of the recession we've had since 99?

And then, had Mr. Clinton had the foresight, perhaps the levees WOULD have been high enough and strong enough for Katrina.

But during Bush's watch? No way.

By the way, I'm not trying to be partisan. I'm actually a strong moderate, but I hate how the media starts looking for scapegoats after 9/11 and katrina that, to be honest, no matter who was in what office, no one could have anticipated the horrors that occured.

Could you imagine Jon Stewart making fun of Bush for spending billions of taxpayer money to improve airport security and basically, racially profile people BEFORE 9/11? Remember how much fun people made of Clinton after the Y2K bug...after they spent millions and millions of dollars to prevent problems...and then there were no problems? Well, because there were no problems, it was a waste of money, right?

Could you imaging spending the money to racially profile people, invade their privacy, and putting armed guards on every plane, and then 9/11 DIDN'T happen?

Katrina is similar. Yes, there were people saying it could happen, but when 120,000 people don't believe the storm will be "that bad" and stay behind while being told it will be catastrophic, we expect taxpayers to believe that its worth spening 10 billion dollars to "prevent" something that we would never know how bad it could get?

9/11 opened our eyes. So does Katrina. While it is great sport for the media to create scapegoats, it is our own hubris that prevents us from seeing the real threats...that we need to see the horrors with our own eyes before we believe it is real.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

I guess that is why you have a title, you are smarter than any other packers fan. That is not saying much though...so don't feel too good about yourself.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

Nice Los. Good post.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast