Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Freya is offline Team Alumni

Re: Soldier sentenced to 90 years!

I find this to be an appropriate sentance. I don't know where the norm would be, however, I would like to see similar sentances for similar crimes committed here.
    They are making an example of this guy and they should. My question would be; is this harsh sentancing going to be limited to war crimes?

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

One thing that sets our army apart from most of the fighting forces in the world is we do police our own, and when somebody screws up they are tried and if convicted sentenced to prison.

There always seems to be outrage about our soldiers, how they act during war time or on foreign soil and how the USA treats it's prisoners.

But we see fighters that behead civilians and torture, mutilate and kill their captives (some of them US soldiers or civilians) and you don't see outrage on the foreign media!
    But our soldiers do anything wrong and it is the lead story around the world.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    One thing that sets our army apart from most of the fighting forces in the world is we do police our own, and when somebody screws up they are tried and if convicted sentenced to prison.

There always seems to be outrage about our soldiers, how they act during war time or on foreign soil and how the USA treats it's prisoners.

But we see fighters that behead civilians and torture, mutilate and kill their captives (some of them US soldiers or civilians) and you don't see outrage on the foreign media!

These soldiers should probably just be shot for doing this.

Freya: I think if you saw the exact same crime done here it would up for the death penalty no questions asked.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Freya - I agree that this is a heinous crime and they got what they desreved.

Del - I do not have your faith in this system.
    I am sure they would all plea bargain and cry about their abusive parents.
    In the US a crime like this would probably get around twenty years.
    And then by the time you are up for parole and with good behavior you could get out in ten years.
    I am sure if you squealed like this soldier you could get an even sweeter deal.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Del Rio Guest

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Freya - I agree that this is a heinous crime and they got what they desreved.

Del - I do not have your faith in this system.
    I am sure they would all plea bargain and cry about their abusive parents.
    In the US a crime like this would probably get around twenty years.
    And then by the time you are up for parole and with good behavior you could get out in ten years.
    I am sure if you squealed like this soldier you could get an even sweeter deal.
    Not a chance.

Rape of a 14 year old girl.
    Murder of an entire family.
    Burning her body.
    Witnesses.
    Pre meditated.
    Someone who is taking a plea bargin to turn the others in.

A handful of sad cases does not qualify that ammount of doubt in the justice system IMO.

Just a quick glance through google and it looks like for the rape and murder of a teen your looking at life in prison or death. Most of these cases I have been looking at the defendent does exactly what you suggest "I was abused as a child" It was the drugs.....and it may save them the death penalty but it seems like they still end up in the slammer for good.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Freya: I think if you saw the exact same crime done here it would up for the death penalty no questions asked.

Never said they shouldn't be Del!

I have no problem with how they get punished, the death penalty is fine with me!

What I am saying is that we do punish our own, but a big part of the fighters around the world are not held to the same standards that we are.
    There is a double standard and we are always made to look like the bad guys, yet we police our armies and the media ignores the ones that don't becasue they are afraid of reprisals from the Muslims extremists or want to see the USA put in a bad light.

Do you remember when our soldiers were captured and beheaded, but the media wouldn't show it!
    But it had no problem showing a US soldier that had terror suspects on the ground and the terrorists tried to reach for something and the soldier shot him, but the international media was claiming are soldiers killed unarmed prisoners.

Or how about the private security guards in Iraq that were captured and then chopped into pieces and hung from a bridge!
    Did you see that on TV.

It has been 5 years since 9/11 and have you ever seen the video on TV of the people that were jumping to their deaths hitting the ground?
    You can hear it in the documentaries load thuds every few seconds but the media refused to show it, but they show dead bodies of terrorist that are shot by US soldiers.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Never said they shouldn't be Del!

I have no problem with how they get punished, the death penalty is fine with me!

What I am saying is that we do punish our own, but a big part of the fighters around the world are not held to the same standards that we are.
    There is a double standard and we are always made to look like the bad guys, yet we police our armies and the media ignores the ones that don't becasue they are afraid of reprisals from the Muslims extremists or want to see the USA put in a bad light.

Do you remember when our soldiers were captured and beheaded, but the media wouldn't show it!
    But it had no problem showing a US soldier that had terror suspects on the ground and the terrorists tried to reach for something and the soldier shot him, but the international media was claiming are soldiers killed unarmed prisoners.

Or how about the private security guards in Iraq that were captured and then chopped into pieces and hung from a bridge!
    Did you see that on TV.

It has been 5 years since 9/11 and have you ever seen the video on TV of the people that were jumping to their deaths hitting the ground?
    You can hear it in the documentaries load thuds every few seconds but the media refused to show it, but they show dead bodies of terrorist that are shot by US soldiers.
    I'm not sure I want to get involved in this conversation, but I couldn't disagree with you more.

Lets tread lightly here.

Oh and Whack, I wasn't suggesting you didn't think they should be punished harshly. That was not my intent any way.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Del - th elife sentence is easily whittled down.
    That is why now more and more you hear without the possibility of parole.
    In the past even if you get life you only have to serve a portion of that time after which you can become elible for parole.
    That time can come up even faster with good behavior.
    So even with a life sentence you may be out in ten to fifteen years.
    That is why they are trying to change the system.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

He deserves every second of it.

alberta_vike is offline Starter

The majority of armies from around the world police their forces and hold soldiers every bit as accountable as US soldiers. The examples you are using are not armies. They are terrorists. Of course, they aren't going to be held accountable for doing these horrible things because those are the things they set out to accomplish in the first place. I'm not saying that there aren't governments who allow and encourage their forces to do similar things without fear of reprisal. However, there are very few armies ( and I am sure none in the developed world ) that would let their soldiers get away with what this guy did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast