Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Soldier sentenced to 90 years!

I heard about this and I thought that may be a bit harsh but understandable.
    What I am wondering is when will the judges in this country treat our citizens with the same value.
    You can rape a woman in this country tell some sob story and you can be out in five years.
    If your Daddy beat you you can murder an American citizen cry about your tough upbringing and get off with a few years in prison.
    I wish all rapists and murderers faced these military courts, the judges in this country have no clue any more and are so far removed from the average citizen.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Soldier sentenced to 90 years!

Post a link...................
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Well said,
    we down here in Va just had a guy (for the 3rd time) get drunk, drive and kill a family.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Here is the article I have read!!

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. —
    A soldier was sentenced to 90 years in prison with the possibility of parole in 20 years for conspiring to rape a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and kill her and her family.
    Spc. James P. Barker, one of four Fort Campbell soldiers accused in the March 12 rape of Abeer Qassim al-Janabi and the killings, pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against the others to avoid the death penalty.
    "This court sentences you to be confined for the length of your natural life, with the eligibility of parole," said Lt. Col. Richard Anderson, the military judge presiding over the court-martial.
    Under the plea agreement, Barker got a life sentence Thursday but will not serve more than 90 years in prison, Anderson said. He will be eligible for parole in 20 years.
    Barker, 23, showed no reaction when the sentence was read.
    Earlier Thursday, Barker wept during his closing statement, accepted responsibility for the rape and killings and said violence he encountered left him "angry and mean" when it came to Iraqis.
    "I want the people of Iraq to know that I did not go there to do the terrible things that I did," Barker said, his voice quivering as he began to weep. "I do not ask anyone to forgive me today."
    After Barker's sentencing, military prosecutors declined to comment because three other soldiers have yet to be tried in the case. Defense attorneys planned a news conference.
    Barker confessed Wednesday to the crimes as part of a plea agreement to avoid a possible death penalty that requires him to testify against the others.
    In his closing statement, Barker said Iraq made him angry and violent.
    "To live there, to survive there, I became angry and mean. The mean part of me made me strong on patrols. It made me brave in fire fights," Barker said. "I loved my friends, my fellow soldiers and my leaders, but I began to hate everyone else in Iraq."
    During testimony intended to show the judge that Barker could be rehabilitated, Barker's fellow soldiers described weeks with little support and sleep while manning distant checkpoints.
    Capt. William Fischbach, the lead prosecutor, told the court that such conditions were no excuse for Barker, who led the group to the family's house, and that no one deserved such unspeakable horrors.
    "This burned-out corpse that used to be a 14-year-old girl never fired bullets or lobbed mortars," Fischbach said as he held pictures of the crime scene. "Society should not have to bear the risk of the accused among them ever again."
    The killings in Mahmoudiya, a village about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of Baghdad, were among the worst in a series of alleged attacks on civilians and other abuses by military personnel in Iraq.
    The defendants are accused of burning the girl's body to conceal the crime.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

alberta_vike is offline Starter

Lots of these people are definitely getting off way to easy. It's even worse here in Canada. In alot of areas I am generally pretty liberal, but as far as murderers, rapists, etc. go, they can all rot in jail for the rest of their lives, or worse. There are some things you don't deserve a second chance on.

There was a story here recently of some 18 and 19 year olds who were thrown out of a house party because they weren't invited, came back, and beat another kid to death with bats and a metal pipe. The harshest sentence handed out, I believe, was 5 years.

What was it that the soldier did anyway?

Del Rio Guest

I am sure that if you gang raped a 14 year old little girl, murdered her FAMILY and her, and then set her on fire that you would do more then 5 years.
    Regardless of military or civilian status.

I think it is also safe to assume that if you are convicted of rape alone, you would not be punished any more then if you did it here. If you are I can understand because you represent our country. You are an employee of the government on a foreign soil, your actions represent the entire nation.

The same can be said for any member of any branch of the government, and when you are sworn in you accept that and are instructed on that. It holds true across the board.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The soldier helped others rape and kill a teenage Iraqi girl, and they also killed her entire family to hide it.
    The only reason he avoided the death penalty was because he entered a plea bargain agreement.

He was extremely lucky that the judge is allowing him to be eligible for parole in 20 years.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Here is the article I have read!!

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. —
    A soldier was sentenced to 90 years in prison with the possibility of parole in 20 years for conspiring to rape a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and kill her and her family.
    Spc. James P. Barker, one of four Fort Campbell soldiers accused in the March 12 rape of Abeer Qassim al-Janabi and the killings, pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against the others to avoid the death penalty.
    "This court sentences you to be confined for the length of your natural life, with the eligibility of parole," said Lt. Col. Richard Anderson, the military judge presiding over the court-martial.
    Under the plea agreement, Barker got a life sentence Thursday but will not serve more than 90 years in prison, Anderson said. He will be eligible for parole in 20 years.
    Barker, 23, showed no reaction when the sentence was read.
    Earlier Thursday, Barker wept during his closing statement, accepted responsibility for the rape and killings and said violence he encountered left him "angry and mean" when it came to Iraqis.
    "I want the people of Iraq to know that I did not go there to do the terrible things that I did," Barker said, his voice quivering as he began to weep. "I do not ask anyone to forgive me today."
    After Barker's sentencing, military prosecutors declined to comment because three other soldiers have yet to be tried in the case. Defense attorneys planned a news conference.
    Barker confessed Wednesday to the crimes as part of a plea agreement to avoid a possible death penalty that requires him to testify against the others.
    In his closing statement, Barker said Iraq made him angry and violent.
    "To live there, to survive there, I became angry and mean. The mean part of me made me strong on patrols. It made me brave in fire fights," Barker said. "I loved my friends, my fellow soldiers and my leaders, but I began to hate everyone else in Iraq."
    During testimony intended to show the judge that Barker could be rehabilitated, Barker's fellow soldiers described weeks with little support and sleep while manning distant checkpoints.
    Capt. William Fischbach, the lead prosecutor, told the court that such conditions were no excuse for Barker, who led the group to the family's house, and that no one deserved such unspeakable horrors.
    "This burned-out corpse that used to be a 14-year-old girl never fired bullets or lobbed mortars," Fischbach said as he held pictures of the crime scene. "Society should not have to bear the risk of the accused among them ever again."
    The killings in Mahmoudiya, a village about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of Baghdad, were among the worst in a series of alleged attacks on civilians and other abuses by military personnel in Iraq.
    The defendants are accused of burning the girl's body to conceal the crime.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Del - I would say there are some judges who would give out this type of sentence but I don't believe it is the norm.
    There was a case in Vermont where a man raped a boy for two years and the judge gave him
    a SUSPENDED SENTENCE AND ONE YEAR PROBATION. In colorado I think, a baby was beaten to death over a four week period, no one was with the child but the parents.
    This happened last February and the prosecutor has yet to file charges.
    I am afraid that any more this country does not care about children, they are property not a valuable human life.

Del Rio Guest

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Del - I would say there are some judges who would give out this type of sentence but I don't believe it is the norm.
    There was a case in Vermont where a man raped a boy for two years and the judge gave him
    a SUSPENDED SENTENCE AND ONE YEAR PROBATION. In colorado I think, a baby was beaten to death over a four week period, no one was with the child but the parents.
    This happened last February and the prosecutor has yet to file charges.
    I am afraid that any more this country does not care about children, they are property not a valuable human life.
    Yes and I just read a case where a man was let go after being sentenced to 25 years for raping a woman at knife point.

I think the norm may be in the middle some where. Every case is different depending on witnesses proof all of it. If somone did this same crime on United states soil to United states people you can bet your ass they would be looking at the death penalty as well. I wouldn't argue that some cases, some crimes are not punished as harshly as I would like, I would argue the thought that judges in this country do not treat our citizens with the same value. I do not believe that to be true.

In the end this is one messed up group of individuals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast