Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOCCER SUCKS!!!!!!!!

This article is great.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0227,barra,36213,3.html

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: SOCCER SUCKS!!!!!!!!

I get the feeling that guy is not all that enthusiatic about soccer...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

My thoughts EXACTLY!

Apologies to any soccer fans on the board, especially ones overseas, but I like football a lot better because, even though there isn't "constant motion" like there is in soccer, that motion ACCOUNTS FOR MORE and is MORE IMPORTANT. In soccer, the majority of movement occurs near midfield (or at least the middle 50% of the field) moving the ball back and forth before getting caught in a neutral zone trap. It is also more frenetic. There is more action per second (for lack of a better unit of measure), which balances it out so that there is just as much action and movement as in soccer, and, as mentioned before, that action and movement is more meaningful.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Toro is offline Rookie

SOCCER IS AWESOME!
    "This is a kick-ass offense" - BC

I thought the article had a good point about soccer snobs, but for the most part it wasn't very good. Soccer takes a bit more time watching or playing to understand the positioning on the field, the individuals' foot skills and awareness on the field (how he "reads" the other team and the flow of the game), and different strategies and gameplans that teams implement. The style of soccer differs for each team (just like the WCO in football). The author also complains about too much defense, but I think a lot of avid football fans would argue that a defensive game in football is what's really impressive. I'm a huge football fan, but I'm also a huge soccer fan. I'll be trying to watch NFL Europe to fill in the void left by the offseason, but I'll be more than content watching Germany 2006 this summer as well.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Soccers kind of a fun sport and all...

... I guess.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

UKVikingMike is offline Training Camp

Oh no you didnt......

Soccer is a great sport - the beautiful game - if you will. This article is as random attack as i've seen. Don't get me wrong i love American Football and have far more interest in this than soccer. But to moan about having it forced down your throats, has this guy stepped outside the US. We currently have the NFL pushing NFL Europe upon us with an ultimatum of taking it away if we dont support it enough. It seems as though the NFL is needing to break out into new markets as the US audience cant get much bigger, and we are its next target.(not complaining)
    The article says that American sports are rejected in Europe, there must be 8 basketball courts within 2miles of my house. If i wear a football shirt to the pub i quite often get into conversation about the NFL from fans past and present. and Baseball well its a bit like rounders and the guys dont look too athletic, so as a sport its not for me, but have been to a game in the US and the atmosphere more than compensates for the sport(How can you not catch a ball with that mit??!?!?!?!).
    Sorry had to re-read the random racist crap, it gets worse each time. It complains of soccer being an international sport. how does he explain the superbowl winners declaring themselves world champions after winning a Domestic tournement???
    The need to remove stats from sport??? if anything soccer coverage has changed in the last few years to incorporate random stats, but what use are these, as we all know unless you saw a game, a list of numbers can be highly unrepresentative.
    wow this wound me up more than i would have liked for a monday morning, only come on to check FA new., I thought soccer was starting to be enjoyed in the US, I believe the US soccer team has come on considerably, and that there performance in the last world cup and the recent interantionals is something the US can be proud of.

UKVikingMike is offline Training Camp

my mates two penny worth, sorry he's a Cowboys fan and didn't want to register, hope entering this under my ID doesn't break rules or irritate.
    Regarding Allen Barra's article "Nil and Void
    Soccer Mania? Give Me a Red Card."

Who is this moron? Is there some reason you feel compelled to let one mans pathological aversion to new ideas/sports be construed as an actual article? His critiscism of soccer as "not a proper sport" since it does not make enough athletic demands, since it does not require super athletes to play competetively.

Possibly Mr Barra is unaware that most nations employ drug and steroid testing to enforce a level playing field, unfortunately not a standard practice in the NFL or MLB.
    What precisely is the difference between Soccer players lack of athelietic ability, and baseball players reliance upon an enormous glove to catch a ball.

I love american football and basketball and see no reason to start slandering your national sports. But you might want to ask the same of your columists, because Mr Barra's work is doing nothing to dispel the widespread notion that Americans are much more capable of using their mouths than their brains.
    Thankyou for your time.
    Mr David Johnston (Leeds, England)

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

:shock:

... Dayum...
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"UKVikingMike" wrote:
    my mates two penny worth, sorry he's a Cowboys fan and didn't want to register, hope entering this under my ID doesn't break rules or irritate.
    Regarding Allen Barra's article "Nil and Void
    Soccer Mania? Give Me a Red Card."

Who is this silly guy? Is there some reason you feel compelled to let one mans pathological aversion to new ideas/sports be construed as an actual article? His critiscism of soccer as "not a proper sport" since it does not make enough athletic demands, since it does not require super athletes to play competetively.

Possibly Mr Barra is unaware that most nations employ drug and steroid testing to enforce a level playing field, unfortunately not a standard practice in the NFL or MLB.
    What precisely is the difference between Soccer players lack of athelietic ability, and baseball players reliance upon an enormous glove to catch a ball.

I love american football and basketball and see no reason to start slandering your national sports. But you might want to ask the same of your columists, because Mr Barra's work is doing nothing to dispel the widespread notion that Americans are much more capable of using their mouths than their brains.
    Thankyou for your time.
    Mr David Johnston (Leeds, England)
    It's an editorial. He's getting paid to write his opinion! No one said you needed to agree with it, and it isn't masquerading as a factual article anyway. Tell your friend to chill out.

And as far as not being able to use our brains goes...you guys are just jealous you lost the Revolution! :grin:

Anywho...

With the exception of gym class in elementary school, I've never played much soccer, and even then I only played goalie because I'm tall! I've never been a big fan of the sport really. I've always found it really boring, but to each his own I guess. My best friend plays in college, and after watching him play all of those years in high school and now in college I can tell you that those guys are better athletes than that guy gives them credit for. They can run for DAYS.

The only time I ever watched the World Cup was back in 9th grade when I happened to be dating a girl who played soccer. She was all into it, so I got up at like 3 in the morning to watch some of the games. I wish I wouldn't have though because looking back on it, she wasn't really worth the sleep deprivation! :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast