Slug Guns Fellas

Well it's going to be deer season and I'm going to buy a designated slug gun. Right now I have an 870 with a slug barrel which works good. But I have to switch barrels and take the scope off it every year which is sort of a pain(literally also, cause that means I have to site it in every year and 12 gauge sabots can take a toll on ones shoulder after a while.)

I know you can get barrels with a cantilever mount but would rather just spend the money and get a designated slug gun.

I'm looking for any suggestions with gun/ammo combos that you guys have had success with. I've been seriously thinking about an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter w/ thumb hole stock. Good reviews, supposed to be a tack driver. Thanks fellas.

[img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/zoom_ush_T.jpg[/img]
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Slug Guns Fellas

Go out and buy a Charles Daly.
    Tough as shit and reasonably priced.

Use the money you just saved and shoot it about 40 or 50 times with the same round and you will kill anything that moves and still have money to buy a few beers to celebrate the harvest.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Tough as pooh and reasonably priced.

Use the money you just saved and shoot it about 40 or 50 times with the same round and you will kill anything that moves and still have money to buy a few beers to celebrate the harvest.
    Or, do like MArrdro and use the money you save to do the followiing:

1:
    Buy authentic Favre JErseys - Home and Away.
    2:
    Name a star after Favre, and mail him the certificate.
    3:
    Tattoo Favre's name - his ENTIRE name - across your chest
    4:
    Legally have your last name changed to Favre.

...and everyone thought Mar was gone because he was mad.
    Bull pucky!!
    He was just too busy getting all Favre'd up to post here.

Caine

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Tough as pooh and reasonably priced.

Or, do like MArrdro and use the money you save to do the followiing:

1:
    Buy authentic Favre JErseys - Home and Away.
    2:
    Name a star after Favre, and mail him the certificate.
    3:
    Tattoo Favre's name - his ENTIRE name - across your chest
    4:
    Legally have your last name changed to Favre.

...and everyone thought Mar was gone because he was mad.
    Bull pucky!!
    He was just too busy getting all Favre'd up to post here.

Caine
    Ahhhhh, there is the banter I missed........ ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"battleaxe4cheese" wrote:
    Well it's going to be deer season and I'm going to buy a designated slug gun. Right now I have an 870 with a slug barrel which works good. But I have to switch barrels and take the scope off it every year which is sort of a pain(literally also, cause that means I have to site it in every year and 12 gauge sabots can take a toll on ones shoulder after a while.)

I know you can get barrels with a cantilever mount but would rather just spend the money and get a designated slug gun.

I'm looking for any suggestions with gun/ammo combos that you guys have had success with. I've been seriously thinking about an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter w/ thumb hole stock. Good reviews, supposed to be a tack driver. Thanks fellas.
    I bought a Marlin 512 slugmaster over a decade ago and tried to use it as my dedicated deer gun but it had feeding issues so I reverted back to my winchester ranger 12 g pump with a rifled slug barrel and it is the last one I will ever use. A single shot is fine in some locations but around here it is as worthless as tits on a boar.
    That would be accurate, though.

As an aside, what slugs are you using? A few years back I started to use a slug called Quik Shok and they are devastating on big game. The slug is pre-scored and breaks into 3 petals upon entry and it creates devastating woulds that ensure a fast, humane kill.

http://www.polywad.com/quikshok.html

[img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/slug.jpg[/img]

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I bought a Marlin 512 slugmaster over a decade ago and tried to use it as my dedicated deer gun but it had feeding issues so I reverted back to my winchester ranger 12 g pump with a rifled slug barrel and it is the last one I will ever use. A single shot is fine in some locations but around here it is as worthless as tits on a boar.
    That would be accurate, though.

As an aside, [glow=red,2,300]what slugs are you using? [/glow]A few years back I started to use a slug called Quik Shok and they are devastating on big game. The slug is pre-scored and breaks into 3 petals upon entry and it creates devastating woulds that ensure a fast, humane kill.

http://www.polywad.com/quikshok.html

I have winchester partition golds,hornady sst's, lightfield exp, rem. copper solids. I experiment with different ammo to try and find the best combo
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

I have a question for you Iowa and maybe Minny hunters too? Is there not a Rifle season or is it the slug guns above?

Unless my buddy told me this wrong...

I live here in Missouri, use a 30-06

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Vikestand" wrote:
    I have a question for you Iowa and maybe Minny hunters too? Is there not a Rifle season or is it the slug guns above?

Unless my buddy told me this wrong...

I live here in Missouri, use a 30-06
    In Minnesota it is shotgun only in the southern part of the state. Roughly below I-94.
    In the north woods rifles are fine. I believe Iowa has a similar thing.

Vikefantam is offline Rookie

Both Hubby and I have ended up with severely bruised shoudlers from rifles/shotguns.
    We don't hunt, just practice.
    If you can afford it, they do sell certain types of body armor that will pad your shoulder so you don't get the impact, at least as bad.

My dad hunted for years and wonders why his shoulder is so bad now.
    Think about all the damage you're doing to it.
    It's cumulative.
    Good luck!
    Oh, and good luck in your hunting.
    A few weeks ago, I saw a large family of wild turkeys crossing the street and could only thing "Mmmmm, dinner".
    LOL.

P.S.
    I've been having fun with snap caps lately with my Glock.
    I load my 8 mags with snap caps in various places in the mag.
    I shuffle the mags so I don't know where the snap caps are.
    What it does it jam your gun (doesn't hurt it).
    It teaches you how to handle your gun when it jams (slap bottom of mag, pull slide back and fire).
    Of course, my targets are off now that I have to shoot with a stance with a big boot on my foot from it being broken, which makes my footing uneven.
    :-)
    Tammy

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Vikefantam" wrote:

Both Hubby and I have ended up with severely bruised shoudlers from rifles/shotguns.
    We don't hunt, just practice.
    If you can afford it, they do sell certain types of body armor that will pad your shoulder so you don't get the impact, at least as bad.

My dad hunted for years and wonders why his shoulder is so bad now.
    Think about all the damage you're doing to it.
    It's cumulative.
    Good luck!
    Oh, and good luck in your hunting.
    A few weeks ago, I saw a large family of wild turkeys crossing the street and could only thing "Mmmmm, dinner".
    LOL.

P.S.
    I've been having fun with snap caps lately with my Glock.
    I load my 8 mags with snap caps in various places in the mag.
    I shuffle the mags so I don't know where the snap caps are.
    What it does it jam your gun (doesn't hurt it).
    It teaches you how to handle your gun when it jams (slap bottom of mag, pull slide back and fire).
    Of course, my targets are off now that I have to shoot with a stance with a big boot on my foot from it being broken, which makes my footing uneven.
    :-)
    Buy a S&W!

You will never have to worry about a jam.

Hell, Glocks either.