ummm, you may want to rephrase that.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1114765.html

Video of statement
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHDUaYGOFso

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Slavery remark sparks furor

LMAO!

Sometimes people need to think before spewing out whatever pops into their mind.
    I understand what he was trying to say, but man...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I'm sure Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are about to knock his door down just like they did Imus'.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

So if all his friends voted for him to jump off a bridge would he do that too?

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

You just need to get all his constituents to sign a petition to have him change his name to "Dumbass Nelson" and from the looks of things he'll have a new name

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

he shouldve choose a different analogy

Thanks josdin00

i think there's nothing wrong with what he said. Like tb0451 said he should have chose his analogy better but he's right. If a vast majority of the population votes for anything it is his job to go that way too. Whether it be slavery or crippling babies. Hes called a representative for a reason. He represents his state. Its democracy last time he checked. (It doesn't really seem that way anymore though :-\ ) I agree with him. He represents the people not his own belief.
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

The reason they're called representatives is that they represent their state in Congress, and in Congress, they make the best decisions to benefit their state and the union. If that means going against the wishes of the people, then that must be the case.

It would be completely ridiculous to vote/govern exclusively by the polls, because a lot of the public either don't completely understand complex issues that they have opinions on, or their opinions are unfair to others.

This is the definition of a liberal democracy, which is what almost all democracies are (and that has nothing to do with liberal/conservative viewpoints). A liberal democracy means that you govern according to the public's opinion in general, with exceptions. For example, if you governed with the polls, you would never have minority rights.

The only way the States got civil rights (which I think most people would agree is a good thing) is by going against public opinion in the South. It was an important decision though, so going against the polls was a good idea.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    The reason they're called representatives is that they represent their state in Congress, and in Congress, they make the best decisions to benefit their state and the union. If that means going against the wishes of the people, then that must be the case.

It would be completely ridiculous to vote/govern exclusively by the polls, because a lot of the public either don't completely understand complex issues that they have opinions on, or their opinions are unfair to others.

This is the definition of a liberal democracy, which is what almost all democracies are (and that has nothing to do with liberal/conservative viewpoints). A liberal democracy means that you govern according to the public's opinion in general, with exceptions. For example, if you governed with the polls, you would never have minority rights.

The only way the States got civil rights (which I think most people would agree is a good thing) is by going against public opinion in the South. It was an important decision though, so going against the polls was a good idea.
    THATS ABSOLUTE BULL!!! He's only there to tell the voice of his people. Its not a democracy if the peoples vote means nothing. If the vast majority votes for something you dont have any power to go against it. You are not a person with an opinion higher then that of your people. Democracy says this guy is there to report what his people say. Thats like saying. My people vote for no war. 81% but i think its a good idea to go into war so lets do it. No what do the the votes mean then? They don't mean diddily squat if a person can go against them that easily. I will repeat the main statement.
    This guys opinion is not higher then that of his people
    That is democracy! Maybe in Canada your vote means squat but you vote because your bored but dare I say it the way America should be is this way. It isn't a lot of the time which is why i like Canada better but thats the way its suppose to be and I support this guy for trying his hardest to preserve that
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Yeah, he's a genius.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast