Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Skype - Phone not snipe hunting

"cajunvike" wrote:
    What are the equipment requirements for web cam service? If it's not too expensive, I might just buy a whole setup for my parents and for myself so that we can enhance the phone conversations that we have (I don't get home often and this would almost be like sitting around the living room and chatting...especially if we could wire the feed through the television...which I think would be possible).
    Not sure about the specifics

here is a link to the web cams.

http://accessories.skype.com/section?p=4580&secid=39161&et_cid=16&et_lid=2339&e t_sub=eng_uk_webcam

you don't have to buy from skype but this will give an idea.

I went back to make sure, and on the Windows OS, the video is included with the call. There is no extra charge for the video. If it is a phone call that isn't free, you pay for the phone call but nothing for the video.

What you are talking about, having a computer hooked up to the TV in the living room, sounds like a task. It can be done, just need the right connections on everything.

I have an S cable and Sound jack connection that I use to plug into our TV. You are talking about having to probably have one computer hooked to your parents TV and on all the time. Using Skype will take some computer knowledge on the part of your parents. Sounds like a fun task, hope it works.

"Benet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    I'm not sure, but Ned & I chat that way often thru Yahoo. MSN has had it for a few years. It works in seal time, but there is a brief delay of a second or two.

So can can someone with Skype answer the question:

Why, if in fact it is, would Skype be better than Yahoo with voice or MSN with chat?
    I'd assume something to do with the fact that with Skype you can call landline phones and use the existing technology there for free, which would mean, in theory, free phone calls all over the world. With something like Yahoo! or MSN Messenger, you have to get both parties online, make sure the software matches, your peripherals are compatible with the software and maintain certain bandwidth between each other or you'll lose your connection.

All you need for Skype is one guy with a PC with Skype on it, and a landline.

(This coming from a guy without Skype, purely based on assumptions. I'd also like to see someone with Skype talk a bit about it. As I said, a friend of mine set up his own London number through his VOIP address, and he says that he can take that number with him all over the world and it would only cost someone like me local rate to call him, where ever he is in the world regardless of whether he's in London or not. But he's a MAJOR tech-geek so I have trouble understanding a lot of what he says).
    You are exactly right. Unless yahoo and msn can call land line and mobile phones it is behind the times.

Last night, I conferenced my Dad at home in MN with my Mom (who is at Mayo) and myself (in TX). We had a nice convesation between the 3 of us. I orchestrated it, and it didn't cost anything, after the first of the year, it will cost like 2 cents a minute. It is easier than trying to conference someone on the phone plus I could have conferenced in up to nine people, that would be extreme for a family conversation, but I am just trying to say it is versatile and extremely easy to use.

"Benet" wrote:
    (This coming from a guy without Skype, purely based on assumptions. I'd also like to see someone with Skype talk a bit about it. As I said, a friend of mine set up his own London number through his VOIP address, and he says that he can take that number with him all over the world and it would only cost someone like me local rate to call him, where ever he is in the world regardless of whether he's in London or not. But he's a MAJOR tech-geek so I have trouble understanding a lot of what he says).
    This is called Skype In. You can buy a number for, lets say $45 a year.

It is probably for business purposes or for people on the go like your friend.

For example, I am going to be in NZ all summer, I can have my business phone which I could forward to a Skype In number and rcv calls around the world. Just an example of how it will work for some.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123