Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Re: Sirius and XM Merger

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    I believe this is an early thing.
    Once the merger is further along they will be coming out with a radio that plays channels from both entities.
    Then you can either buy a beefed up slightly more expensive package with everything from both, or you can go with a tiered package where you get to pick the channels you want.
    At least that's what they said they were going to do last year.
    The downside is, and it why they offer these best of channels is that a Sirrius radio isn't going to be able to play regular XM and vise versa, from a company stand point it's cheaper to keep the current infrastructure and just slowly release new radios that play both.
    Sorry, dude, yer wrong.

My 4-year-old XM SkyFi unit is now broadcasting what were Sirius stations.
    That happened yesterday.
    Some of my favorite XM stations were re-christened with Sirius names.

But the NFL (and Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, NASCAR and Playboy) channel(s) all have contracts that are based on audience size.
    Now that the audience size has doubled, those channels will want more money.

=Z=
    That is just a small package, to get the full deal you will need a new radio.
    Or as you would put it "Sorry, dude, yer wrong."

"Under a post-merger pricing plan revealed last summer, consumers would also have numerous other options, ranging from a 50-channel "a la carte" package costing $6.99 per month, to a 180-channel bundle of combined XM and Sirius offerings for $25.90 per month. But to subscribe to the new "a la carte" channel packages, consumers would have to buy new radio receivers capable of processing those requests, which would reportedly cost the same amount as existing receivers (ranging from about $50 to more than $200). "

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9902023-7.html

There is these new packages and the company is cutting channels that overlap each other, but like I've read before and it still is if you want to pick and get the full channel packages you're going to have to buy the newer radios that will likely come out next year.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Once the merger is further along they will be coming out with a radio that plays channels from both entities.
    Then you can either buy a beefed up slightly more expensive package with everything from both, or you can go with a tiered package where you get to pick the channels you want.
    The downside is, and it why they offer these best of channels is that a Sirrius radio isn't going to be able to play regular XM and vise versa, from a company stand point it's cheaper to keep the current infrastructure and just slowly release new radios that play both.
    Sorry, dude, yer wrong.

That happened yesterday.

But the NFL (and Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, NASCAR and Playboy) channel(s) all have contracts that are based on audience size.

"Under a post-merger pricing plan revealed last summer, consumers would also have numerous other options, ranging from a 50-channel "a la carte" package costing $6.99 per month, to a 180-channel bundle of combined XM and Sirius offerings for $25.90 per month. But to subscribe to the new "a la carte" channel packages, consumers would have to buy new radio receivers capable of processing those requests, which would reportedly cost the same amount as existing receivers (ranging from about $50 to more than $200). "

There is these new packages and the company is cutting channels that overlap each other, but like I've read before and it still is if you want to pick and get the full channel packages you're going to have to buy the newer radios that will likely come out next year.
    That's old data.
    That story is from March.
    It's November.
    And I'm not going to have to buy ANY new equipment to get the "new" Sirius channels - it's already been merged.
    Started yesterday.

http://www.xmradio.com/about/faq_lineup.xmc

Can I receive all of these channels on my current XM radio?
    YES, All of the new channels will be available on your existing radio; there’s no need to do a thing.
    Since some of our existing channels have changed names or moved locations, we recommend you download and PRINT our new channel lineup at www.xmradio.com/newlineup.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Sorry, dude, yer wrong.

That happened yesterday.

That's old data.
    It's November.
    And I'm not going to have to buy ANY new equipment to get the "new" Sirius channels - it's already been merged.
    Started yesterday.

YES, All of the new channels will be available on your existing radio; there’s no need to do a thing.
    Since some of our existing channels have changed names or moved locations, we recommend you download and PRINT our new channel lineup at www.xmradio.com/newlineup.
    =Z=
    Those are just a handful of replaced channels, it even has a chart at Sirus what channels were being thrown out, I'm talking about the whole shebang.
    They added some "new" channels but you aren't getting XM on your Sirus or vice versa.

Maybe I'm wrong, but considering the merger was approved on the terms set forth in that article in March I don't think there will be radical changes.
    We will have to wait and see but they would have to add and merge every station from each to have a complete lineup and since they are charging for the "best of" from each service I doubt they're going to just add all the channels.
    Merging didn't change the fact that they pay a lot of the same people when it was two companies.
    You can't afford the variety the two services provide without charging more or gutting the whole lineup.

"Other than that, not much is known about Sirius and XM's combined channel line-ups and packages, because neither division of the merged company has released that information. But with only a about a month until the channels change, we shouldn't have to wait much longer to see what the combined line-up will include, and what sort of packages are available to try to fill gaps."

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/11/sirius-xm-set-d.html

We'll see I guess.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

You guys should shut off the radio and try to read while driving. I figure, if it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Sorry, dude, yer wrong.

That happened yesterday.

That's old data.
    It's November.
    Started yesterday.

=Z=
    Those are just a handful of replaced channels, it even has a chart at Sirus what channels were being thrown out, I'm talking about the whole shebang.
    They added some "new" channels but you aren't getting XM on your Sirus or vice versa.

Maybe I'm wrong, but considering the merger was approved on the terms set forth in that article in March I don't think there will be radical changes.
    We will have to wait and see but they would have to add and merge every station from each to have a complete lineup and since they are charging for the "best of" from each service I doubt they're going to just add all the channels.
    Merging didn't change the fact that they pay a lot of the same people when it was two companies.
    You can't afford the variety the two services provide without charging more or gutting the whole lineup.

"Other than that, not much is known about Sirius and XM's combined channel line-ups and packages, because neither division of the merged company has released that information. But with only a about a month until the channels change, we shouldn't have to wait much longer to see what the combined line-up will include, and what sort of packages are available to try to fill gaps."

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/11/sirius-xm-set-d.html

We'll see I guess.
    Schutz is right. I have both Sirius and XM. There is going to be a package were you can pick and choose channels from each.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567