Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Simpson distraught after dog taken by coyote

In a sort of related topic, I lived in Southern Cal. for ten years (86-96) and once on the nightly news a homeowners backyard camera caught a Mountain Lion killing and carrying an Akida over a 4 ft fence, Anyone who knows how big and sometimes mean an Akida can be would have been in awe at how strong the Lion was, Yes sad for the dog owner (I'm an animal lover). In the hundreds of hours I spent hiking in the hills surrounding my city-Simi Valley, I never saw one Mt. Lion, Bobcats, Fox, Deer, Tons of Rattlesnakes, King, and even Tarantulas-yes, But no Lions, kinda disappointing really.
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

Sajid28 is offline Coordinator

"molineviking" wrote:

In a sort of related topic, I lived in Southern Cal. for ten years (86-96) and once on the nightly news a homeowners backyard camera caught a Mountain Lion killing and carrying an Akida over a 4 ft fence
    lol wtf? thank god i dont have to worry about that in Miami. The only thing closest that i have to worry about when it comes to animals is my neighbors dog trying to take a shyt on my lawn. lol

"molineviking" wrote:

In a sort of related topic, I lived in Southern Cal. for ten years (86-96) and once on the nightly news a homeowners backyard camera caught a Mountain Lion killing and carrying an Akida over a 4 ft fence, Anyone who knows how big and sometimes mean an Akida can be would have been in awe at how strong the Lion was, Yes sad for the dog owner (I'm an animal lover). In the hundreds of hours I spent hiking in the hills surrounding my city-Simi Valley, I never saw one Mt. Lion, Bobcats, Fox, Deer, Tons of Rattlesnakes, King, and even Tarantulas-yes, But no Lions, kinda disappointing really.

Hopefully you never do

24 January. Hiking in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park sometime before 3:00 p.m. in Humbolt County 50 miles north of Eureka in Orick, California, 70-year-old Jim Hamm was attacked by a cougar, apparently as it crept up from behind. The Fortuna, California, man was accompanied by his 65-year-old wife Nell. Both were reported as under 5'6".

According to supervising Ranger Maury Morningstar, "The wife said she didn't see the lion until she heard her husband, and when she turned around, the lion was attacking her husband."

Nell Hamm said she first saw the lion when it had her husband's head in its jaws. The lion pounced on Jim Hamm near the end of a 10-mile hike. He was trailing his wife when the big cat attacked, pinning him face down on the trail. He didn't scream, Nell said. "It was a different, horrible plea for help, and I turned around, and by then the cat had wrestled Jim to the ground."

Nell Hamm did all the right things. She approached and screamed at the lion. Then she grabbed a 4-inch-wide log and began beating it on its back. "It wouldn't let go, no matter how hard I hit it," she said.

While Jim was trying to tear at the face of the cat, Nell says, "Jim was talking to me all through this, and he said, 'I've got a pen in my pocket. Get the pen and jab him in the eye.'" "So I got the pen and tried to put it in his eye, but it didn't want to go in as easy as I thought it would." When the pen bent and became useless, Nell Hamm went back to using the log. "That lion never flinched," she said. "I just knew it was going to kill him."

Finally, Nell slammed the log butt-end into the cat's snout. The lion had ignored her until then. At last, she had its attention. With blood on it's snout from her blow, the lion let go, stepped back, an stood glaring at her with its ears pinned back. "I thought he was going to attack me," she said. She continued to scream, waving the log, and then, thankfully, the cat slipped into the ferns and disappeared.

Terrified that it might come back, Hamm told her husband that he had to get up and try to walk to the Newton B. Drury Parkway, parallel to U.S. Highway 101, to find help. He was losing blood quickly. "Somehow we made it out of there," she said.

About a quarter-mile away, they came upon an inmate work crew with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. The Eureka Reporter newspaper reported this crew found the man bleeding around 4 p.m. The four men went for help. As a result, the California Department of Forestry dispatched an ambulance from Arcata, which took the couple to the Mad River Community Hospital. State Park employees also responded. Jim Hamm underwent surgery for serious lacerations to his head, legs, arms, and hands.
    http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_ca.html

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

"gregair13" wrote:
    I would rather look at her boobs than hear her say or do anything
    +1
    ;D

molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

Bklfd-I know exactly where that park is, I spent my Jr. and Sr. years at Del Norte High School in crescent City, I also spent a lot of time harvesting a certain kind of mushroom that is quite popular, (It was the thing to do in this city, and everywhere I've lived since have heard about good old Humboldt Co. Back to the topic, sorry) I meant I would have loved to photograph one from a safe distance of course, Like maybe from my car window.
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

"molineviking" wrote:
    Bklfd-I know exactly where that park is, I spent my Jr. and Sr. years at Del Norte High School in crescent City, I also spent a lot of time harvesting a certain kind of mushroom that is quite popular, (It was the thing to do in this city, and everywhere I've lived since have heard about good old Humboldt Co. Back to the topic, sorry) I meant I would have loved to photograph one from a safe distance of course, Like maybe from my car window.
    The best way to "shoot" a cougar, er mountain lion (I forgot, that has a conotation in todys society that I have never run into, or likely to).
    I remember back when I was young and dumb that the state put a bounty on mountain lions.
    As most youth I was in need of money, thought that growing up in Texas and hunting bob cats gave me enough experience to get rich quick.
    It only took one trip into the Angelus Forest to convince me that these big cats are nothing to mess with.
    I found tracks quick enough and after following them for about three miles I found myself in a box canyon where the track suddenly stopped.
    Scratching my head I suddenly heard a rock slip behind me, when I glanced around there she was on a ledge about ten feet above me.
    A quick shot sent her fleeing out of the canyon but the realization that this great hunter had successfully been hunted was quite the wake up call.
    Now I prefer to do my "shooting" with a camera with a telephoto lens.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "molineviking" wrote:
    The best way to "shoot" a cougar, er mountain lion (I forgot, that has a conotation in todys society that I have never run into, or likely to).
    I remember back when I was young and dumb that the state put a bounty on mountain lions.
    As most youth I was in need of money, thought that growing up in Texas and hunting bob cats gave me enough experience to get rich quick.
    It only took one trip into the Angelus Forest to convince me that these big cats are nothing to mess with.
    I found tracks quick enough and after following them for about three miles I found myself in a box canyon where the track suddenly stopped.
    Scratching my head I suddenly heard a rock slip behind me, when I glanced around there she was on a ledge about ten feet above me.
    A quick shot sent her fleeing out of the canyon but the realization that this great hunter had successfully been hunted was quite the wake up call.
    Now I prefer to do my "shooting" with a camera with a telephoto lens.
    I am sure that telephoto lens would have protected you much better than the gun in that story you told. ;D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12