Thread: Sicko.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Sicko.

http://andrewtobias.com/newcolumns/030120.html

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Now who said Ultra was some diehard repub?
    Now here he is posting a column from an openly gay treasurer of the Democratic National Committee! Just goes to show you can never judge anyone from afar.

At any rate, Tobias is right, the 10 men/$100 dinner thing is a pretty poor analogy, and it starts to break down pretty quickly if you follow it for a while. For example, what happens if the restaurant owner has made this decision hastily, and when he hits a rough patch, that extra $140 a week he should have had is no longer there and he goes out of business? What happens then? The top three or four well-to-do men likely just find a new restaurant and go on about there way, but the bottom half are suddenly missing a meal each day. Same goes for a recession. The rich and upper-middle class can't buy a new Bently, or can't paint their house this year. The poor and lower middle-classes make real sacrifices.

All in all, analogies of this nature just don't work for me.

But back to the discussion at hand. I am a little disappointed that (as Nodak more or less predicted) this conversation has turned more to Michael Moore than the health care problem. Isn't it a shame that we can't have an adult discussion about a serious subject without going off on tangents?

I tried in my last post here to keep this subject on the topic of healthcare, but apparently there were no takers. I guess that's what happens when you use actual figures to back up your arguments.
    :

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"The" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Now who said Ultra was some diehard repub?
    Now here he is posting a column from an openly gay treasurer of the Democratic National Committee! Just goes to show you can never judge anyone from afar.

At any rate, Tobias is right, the 10 men/$100 dinner thing is a pretty poor analogy, and it starts to break down pretty quickly if you follow it for a while. For example, what happens if the restaurant owner has made this decision hastily, and when he hits a rough patch, that extra $140 a week he should have had is no longer there and he goes out of business? What happens then? The top three or four well-to-do men likely just find a new restaurant and go on about there way, but the bottom half are suddenly missing a meal each day. Same goes for a recession. The rich and upper-middle class can't buy a new Bently, or can't paint their house this year. The poor and lower middle-classes make real sacrifices.

All in all, analogies of this nature just don't work for me.

But back to the discussion at hand. I am a little disappointed that (as Nodak more or less predicted) this conversation has turned more to Michael Moore than the health care problem. Isn't it a shame that we can't have an adult discussion about a serious subject without going off on tangents?

I tried in my last post here to keep this subject on the topic of healthcare, but apparently there were no takers. I guess that's what happens when you use actual figures to back up your arguments.
    :
    It's a pretty stupid analogy to tax cut's, because the distribution of the returned money according to payment only works if you think the tax bracket system is fair initially.

And for the record, I feel sorry for you over there in the States that you do not have universal health care. I think the way you have made you're health system work is about the worst thing about American society. But I'm not going to interfere more in this discussion in that regard. I suppose it's your country, and you have set up the system of your choice.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Oh Gawd...
    Not another Michael Moore film.
    His films are completely biased and filled with innacuracys.
    Mr. Moore is the biggest D-bag to ever set foot in film school.
    i agree, personally i hate the guy

Thanks josdin00

"What good things does Michael Moore do with his wealth to help others?"
    The guy who runs an anti-Michael Moore website had to shut his website down because his wife's medical bills from cancer were over $12,000. Michael Moore sent him an anonymous check for $12,000.
    He also used his wealth to bring four 9/11 rescue workers who were denied healthcare to CUBA to get their free healthcare and inexpensive pharmaceuticals (5 cents for an inhaler that costs $125 here for example).
    The United States is 37th in health care, and bottom of the barrel of the western countries.
    He even slams Hillary Clinton for taking payoffs from medical companies.
    Beyond it being Michael Moore, it's a great movie worth a watch. And questioning your country is being patriotic, thats why the constitution was written, so stop saying "if you don't like the way it is, move to another country." How about trying to make your country better?

Freya is offline Team Alumni

I've never understood why people hate Michael Moore.
    The reality check people of this world take the hardest path of all. But in all cases, it is a path of their choosing. Which makes them special people imo.

The fact is simple. Our health care system is corrupt, inept and structured so that money is everything. Decisions are made every day regarding peoples health, by people who only care about the almighty dollar. That scares me.

I would recommend a book titled; The 100 year lie.
    But only if you want to wake up.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"tb04512" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Oh Gawd...
    Not another Michael Moore film.
    His films are completely biased and filled with innacuracys.
    Mr. Moore is the biggest D-bag to ever set foot in film school.
    i agree, personally i hate the guy
    Yeah - I can see why you'd hate a guy who uses his position in power to highlight ways in which the poor and unfortunate are screwed by the system.

Do you love Rupert Murdoch, then?
    Because he does the EXACT same thing with all of his "news" properties, but with a different slant.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I'm not for him, but i'm not against him either.I'll listen to what he has to say, becuz I have a pretty open mind.I do strongly beleive our health care in America is terrible.My mother works her tail off week in and week out at her hospital, yet her health benefits are terrible. (Atleast the ones the hospital offers)

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

"Freya" wrote:

The fact is simple. Our health care system is corrupt, inept and structured so that money is everything. Decisions are made every day regarding peoples health, by people who only care about the almighty dollar. That scares me.

Right on Freya. I see it everyday. Tests ordered either to CYA or create revenue. Keep the cash register ringing, and reduce the risk of being sued for not doing something. During a recent trauma alert , our ER Dr. examined the patient, took the collar off, and took the kid off the backboard- all before I did any of my "routine" trauma alert X-rays. The Nursing Supervisor was in quite a tizzy about this, and stressed over and over to him that he must document why he did not order the multitude of test that their trauma protocol lists. He actually got hollered at for doing his job. Crazy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234