Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63
  1. #21
    6-KINGS Guest

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    Gotta rebuild.
    It's in our nature.

    We don't give up.

    And one day this will all happen again.

    And if you think America is running out of room, not even close.
    I can leave my house and drive North, South and West.
    Texas alone could hold many many many millions more.
    Millions of acres of land just waiting for someone to live on.
    All ya really need is electric, water and a Super Walmart.

  2. #22
    DarrinNelsonguy's Avatar
    DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,118

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    Gotta rebuild.
    It's in our nature.

    We don't give up.

    And one day this will all happen again.

    And if you think America is running out of room, not even close.
    I can leave my house and drive North, South and West.
    Texas alone could hold many many many millions more.
    Millions of acres of land just waiting for someone to live on.
    All ya really need is electric, water and a Super Walmart.
    With you on the rebuilding, N.O. has contributed so much to this country as far as jazz, playwrights, and other measures in our cultrue so we must restore that.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

  3. #23
    DarrinNelsonguy's Avatar
    DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,118

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Contrary to popular opinion on this thread, Louisiana DOES have a state income tax...it is states like Texas and Florida who do not. Also, to those who oppose rebuilding...would you say the same about California (earthquakes), the area of the country known as Tornado Alley (tornadoes), the upper Mississippi flood plains (flooding), the North and Northeast (massive winter storms) or drought areas throughout the world. The fact of the matter is this...there is only so much space for us to live in...and there are people who are emotionally attached to where they grew up and live. Witness the Middle East...those guys have been fighting over the same little patches of land for eons, yet even through all of the millions of lives lost, they are not willing to give up and reach some sort of compromise that would benefit all. Life is funny...logically, we should be able to solve all of our problems...but emotions always get in the way of the most logical solutions. Until we can resolve THAT dilemna, we are destined to repeat all of mankind's mistakes again and again. The fact of the matter is that New Orleans will be rebuild...if only to appease those who throw all reason out of the window...and cater to their emotions instead...which most people ultimately do when pressed to make choices about their lives here on earth. Human nature is imperfect...so expecting us to make perfect choices is not a part of reality here on earth. Consequently, the rest of us will have to pay for the mistakes that others make...but one day, those same people will probably be returning the favor for us.
    FYI: South Dakota is another state that does not have a state income tax.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    127

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    New Orleans needs to be rebuilt. I was there in late July on a mission trip with my church. The city had such a rich and vibrant culture. There was more talent on one block in some areas of the French quarter than I have seen in some entire cities. And the people there were some of the friendliest I have ever met. They welcomed us to their community with wide and open arms. The city and the history surounding it never ceased to amaze me. New Orleans must be rebuilt, but stronger levies are also a must.

  5. #25
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Contrary to popular opinion on this thread, Louisiana DOES have a state income tax...it is states like Texas and Florida who do not. Also, to those who oppose rebuilding...would you say the same about California (earthquakes), the area of the country known as Tornado Alley (tornadoes), the upper Mississippi flood plains (flooding), the North and Northeast (massive winter storms) or drought areas throughout the world. The fact of the matter is this...there is only so much space for us to live in...and there are people who are emotionally attached to where they grew up and live. Witness the Middle East...those guys have been fighting over the same little patches of land for eons, yet even through all of the millions of lives lost, they are not willing to give up and reach some sort of compromise that would benefit all. Life is funny...logically, we should be able to solve all of our problems...but emotions always get in the way of the most logical solutions. Until we can resolve THAT dilemna, we are destined to repeat all of mankind's mistakes again and again. The fact of the matter is that New Orleans will be rebuild...if only to appease those who throw all reason out of the window...and cater to their emotions instead...which most people ultimately do when pressed to make choices about their lives here on earth. Human nature is imperfect...so expecting us to make perfect choices is not a part of reality here on earth. Consequently, the rest of us will have to pay for the mistakes that others make...but one day, those same people will probably be returning the favor for us.
    I think that a pretty good percentage of people (for sure the lower income people) will probably relocate. I think that when they get evacuated, they will take root some where else. I wouldn't go around telling people that they shouldn't rebuild. I believe that they will go back if they want and make it work. But if people are relocating and a mandatory evacutation is in effect and may be for months, people will need to find jobs if they get sick of living off of churches in large rooms with many other people.

    It will definitely be interesting to see this unfold. I bet it is a socialogist dream research project to see how this unfolds.

    I hope most of the people through out the affected area are able to hang with family in other areas of the country rather than live in shelters.

  6. #26
    guzziVike's Avatar
    guzziVike is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    29

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    In the end, those that can't afford the risk, won't be rebuilding anything in a major flood zone. We'll see if investors have the balls or the clout to build residential complexes back below Sea Level. What will their insurance premiums look like? Individual owners will have to choke on insane flood insurance costs, as well as improved building codes, in both flood prone and hurricane prone regions. Insurance is a capitalist venture in this country, not a socialist one. Ask who and how many Californians actually have earthquake insurance, and you'll see a minority in the upper tax bracket. Hard to see how the Gulf Coast could ever be what it was. But, then again, Americans have this wonderful knack of saying" Screw you and your lame-ass handouts, I'll re-build it myself!" And then do it all over again next generation. Hopefully each time they'll pick a little higher ground, a taller foundation, and a whole lot-o-concrete. People are peculiar about what they call home, and any amount of risk seems far far away when they find it.

  7. #27
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    Cajun, I can truly understand your loyalty to NO, but common sense says that I agree with Whack on this one. Comparing a winter strom to wiping out an entire city (and then some) is not a fair comparison. And if they CHOOSE to rebuild, they should be on their own, no government aid WHEN it happens again. And it will happen again, might not be utill a hundred years, but it will. And then our grandchildren will have to suffer again because of our mistakes. That doesn't make sense to me.



    I don't know if everyone understands the magnatude of what is happening with NO. It gone, everything is destroyed, every building made of wood, sheetrock, insulation, carpeting.... needs to be torn down and removed. After the water is gone and a building is standing there it might look salvagable, but it's not. The mold alone is enough to condemn a house.
    I don't really have any "loyalty" to NO...my family was smart enough to settle way west AND north of there....in a much safer place that IS above sea level. The point that I was trying to make is that it is easy for us to sit and judge what people should do...but if we put ourselves in their shoes, we might find it a little harder to make those same decisions that seem simple to us as we view it from our ivory towers.

    The truth is that I have long considered NO a SH*THOLE...a place where tourists from around the world have visited so that they could vomit in the streets after consuming too many Hurricane drinks, act like wild animals during Mardi Gras while trying to see as many naked breasts as they can, and generally just doing all of the things that they could never get away with in their own hometowns. The city itself has been overrun with the type of people that do not typify the residents of the rest of the state...my observations that the city will be rebuilt have nothing to do with "loyalty", but moreso with the fact that human nature is that the residents will do whatever they can to return to the life that they led before the disaster...whether it is the right thing to do or not. Emotion will ALWAYS trump logic...even if the solution makes NO SENSE!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  8. #28
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    "whackthepack" wrote:
    And a great place to get started, is by not letting New Orleans rebuild under the same conditions they built the city!
    The levy was only built to withstand a hurricane with the rating of 3, I think.

    If the levy would have been a little bigger, there would be minimal water in the city itself.

    There are plenty of other precautions that could be helpful in taking when they rebuild. For one the way the Mississippi River is managed causes erosion problems. The Gulf loses shoreline on a continual basis. This makes surges possible for greater and greater amounts year after year. So if you build a levy for a 3 hurricane, in 20 years, it might only be good for a 2.

    But I do agree to a point that when they rebuild, they are going to have to take it more serious and make some building requirements so the same problems don't occur again. They have been saying this would happen and it almost went down to a T as they predicted. I think that everyone(officials) in NO was crossing their fingers and thought they were going to make it out alright and then the Levy broke. That is the main concern before rebuilding.

    I do know one thing, I am not going to live in NO. NO way NO how!

    I should get off this Island also 2 more years, crossing my finger until then. If that storm would have hit Galveston Island, my home would have been leveled with nothing left. If that storm would have headed this way, I would proably be in OKC with my brother and his family and without a home of my own or any material possessions.

    The fact is people will live where they want and the ones that live in these areas will always have to tell themselve it won't happen to me(or they would not live there, RIGHT!).

    People live in these areas because it is viable. Both NO and Galveston started as ports that were both essential for trading. We have to have ports to bring all of our cheap material possessions into this country. Galveston isn't a port anymore but it is now mainly tourism. Fact is that if it a tropical storm is heading this way, we have the choice and the advanced notice to evacuate, also our storm insurance is outragous and I am sure it will be worse.

    In Galveston, in 1900 or 1901, a hurricane came through and killed almost everyone on the Island. No warning system, no good way to evacuate everyone. It killed something like 11,000 people and is the largest natural disaster in this country's history. Atleast I hope it still is. If you want to read about it, you can find a book called Isaac's Storm. I think it was a category 4 also.

  9. #29
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    The more I see of how things are declining in NO, the more my heart breaks. This is one of the saddest events in America's history!

    The shear size of the loss of life is going to be staggering.

    I listened to the mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana, and I see them yelling because where is the aid? I still want to ask them both, were was the planning? The initial aid and emergency response should have come from the City and the state, and then the Federal Government should have been following with immediate aid!

    I see this as the fault of the governments in Louisiana, they should have had a better plan in place for dealing with this situation!!!

    I think the Federal effort has been to slow and unorganized!! But they are also dealing with disaster in 4 states and over a large area!

    I still think allowing them to rebuild would be a huge mistake!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  10. #30
    Lotza's Avatar
    Lotza is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    WOW. The devistation is UNBELIEVABLE! I don't believe this should be alowed to happen ever again.





    Well, maybe this one! j/k of course :grin:






    The problem with the truth, is that it's usually brutal.
    those pictures make me sad.

























    Go vikes!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Orleans goes Gay!
    By jkjuggalo in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 05:23 PM
  2. If Vikes get new stadium, Wilf hopes to rebuild Dome area
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 05:57 PM
  3. Can Childress Rebuild Culpepper?
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 11:36 PM
  4. Pack trying to rebuild line on the cheap
    By cajunvike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 12:01 AM
  5. Going to New orleans !!!!!
    By Vikingryche in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 10:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •