Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

It isn't that we didn't build big enough levees. Its the levees that have contained the Mississippi river and drained the wetlands that have caused the problem. The delta used to be a buffer from these storms but over the last 100 or more years the delta has been drained and the Mississippi does not deposit silt or flush the wetlands that could absorb the flooding anymore. New Orleans when it was first established a couple hundred years ago was above sea level. The change in the flow of water in the delta has caused it to sink.

Here is a short article about the problem.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article309471.ece

WWBGD

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    As a native Louisianian (who was smart enough to leave), I am torn between the issue of whether or not to rebuild. I think that there will be rebuilding, but on a much smaller and more responsible scare. Only time will tell, but many people in Louisiana don't want to relocate permanently since it is the only home that they have ever known...and their strong emotional attachment to Louisiana overpowers the logical decision-making process that tells us that they would be much safer living somewhere else. The real issue is, how much did the government lie to these people regarding their safety over the years...and what is the government going to do about restoring some semblance of normalcy to these people's lives. Again, time will tell!

Cajun, my sympathies to you and your family and friends that have to go through this!!!! I hope everyone you know in that area is safe!

I do think that it is not only the fault of the US Government, but with the city and state also. The disregard they had for this type of invent and not being prepared is unforgivable and criminal.

This not a natural disaster that was unforeseen, why they did not have boats and patrols and evacuation plans ready for this type of event, I do not understand!

One of Louisiana's great claims was the did not have a state tax, well they should have! The money should have bee used to prepare for this type of an event. If it never was used, that would have been a blissing!

But, this have been predicted for decades, and Popular Mechanics did a piece in 2001 that predicts exactly what is taking place. The state legislature and the city government hold the biggest responsibility for this situation.

And I can not believe the reactions from some of the citizens that are shooting at the rescue helicopters and buses that are trying to evacuate these people that are in dire situations.

This is not a third world country, and they should start to act like humans and not animals!!

And the city is going to be evacuated and emptied, it is going to take months to get close to start looking at rebuilding. It should be built up and made into a large port, and no housing should be allowed.

Every business owner, home owner, every person in the country is going to be paying for this through tax increase, higher prices on most products and increases in insurance (car, business & home).

Besides the possibility that our economy has had a steady increase over the last year and 1/2, and it could cause us to go into a recession or even a depression and put millions of people out of work.

So do we put the country in that kind of position again, or do we make tough choices (hurt some peoples feelings), and tell them that they can not rebuild there?

And the Government should enact building codes for the coastal areas. If people do not want to build that type of a house, than do not live there!

I found a link to the Popular Mechanic's article.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1282151.html
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VikingsBabe is offline Training Camp

I have mixed feelings about rebuilding. My main question is, if they knew this was coming, why not get the people out??? I've heard all over the news about people not being able to afford to leave, such as the elderly and an area of very poor people. Nothing was done to bus these people out when the environment would have been a lot easier to work in. That just blows my mind. If they ordered an evacuation (which they did), why not make every point to make sure those that are economically disadvantaged are able to get out? Now we are stuck we these problems of search and rescue, and looting. Looting gets me on a whole other plate. A woman on the news said if people around the world are seeing that people are looting stores and stealing from other people's homes, why would they want to send relief money? (I heard Germany is offering to send relief...knew those Germans were good for something!)

I remember learning all through school about New Orleans and how it's under sea level, but no one ever imagined it coming to this. There was so much history washed away...so many Mardi Gras!! But seriously, these people have nothing. And the best we can do is house them in the AstroDome. That's kind of sad. And gas prices are being affected by this...it's over $3 here in Ohio...was watching the Today show this morning and they showed Ohio as being one of the most expensive, going up 50 cents overnight.

This is definitely a terrible situation. I guess instead of complaining we should use our energy to concentrate on ways to help. Remember how much was done for Tsunami Relief??? We even had events on campus to raise money for that. I can only hope something is organized to help with this disaster.

SouthernYankee---glad to hear you are doing something to help.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

I think any area that is completely destroyed should be filled in until at least a few feet above sea level, then they may rebuild. And any new building should have codes that will make the structure sound for a catagory 5 hurricane. They do that for earthquakes in California, they can do that there. They should have srticter codes in the gulf coast states. Any City near the gulf coast and is vulnerable to a disaster like this should have very strict building codes!! The real answer to ease the flooding would be to backfill NO.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Living in Florida and going through hurricanes last year for the first time and now on constant watch from June through November ... I feel they should not be allowed to be rebuilt and as stated earlier, should be a port only. But think of this, around 21 oil rigs and numerous refineries were either lost or are cripped to the point where it will take monthes to rebuild. Why are there not more refineries dispersed in different areas other than the Gulf of Mexico ??

Seriously, I do blame the federal gov't (and not just Bush) over the past couple decades for not having the foresight to pressure Big oil companies to have better plans of action in place.

As for a state tax, FL doesnt have one either and it blows my mind that they dont ... everytime something happens, they have to run to the federal gov't with their hands open for more funding. Myself and my finance' drove down to a resort last weekend a little south of Ft.Myers. We drove by Punta Gorda, an area that got destroyed last year during one of the hurricanes. They are building there again and out on the islands off the coast ... why am i flipping the bill in insurance rates for people who dont care if they get demolished again?? The weather patterns of the hurricanes show that this area is going to get hit again to some degree ... So, once wiped out ... should not be allowed to build there again ..

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Contrary to popular opinion on this thread, Louisiana DOES have a state income tax...it is states like Texas and Florida who do not. Also, to those who oppose rebuilding...would you say the same about California (earthquakes), the area of the country known as Tornado Alley (tornadoes), the upper Mississippi flood plains (flooding), the North and Northeast (massive winter storms) or drought areas throughout the world. The fact of the matter is this...there is only so much space for us to live in...and there are people who are emotionally attached to where they grew up and live. Witness the Middle East...those guys have been fighting over the same little patches of land for eons, yet even through all of the millions of lives lost, they are not willing to give up and reach some sort of compromise that would benefit all. Life is funny...logically, we should be able to solve all of our problems...but emotions always get in the way of the most logical solutions. Until we can resolve THAT dilemna, we are destined to repeat all of mankind's mistakes again and again. The fact of the matter is that New Orleans will be rebuild...if only to appease those who throw all reason out of the window...and cater to their emotions instead...which most people ultimately do when pressed to make choices about their lives here on earth. Human nature is imperfect...so expecting us to make perfect choices is not a part of reality here on earth. Consequently, the rest of us will have to pay for the mistakes that others make...but one day, those same people will probably be returning the favor for us.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Contrary to popular opinion on this thread, Louisiana DOES have a state income tax...it is states like Texas and Florida who do not.
    Cajun, I did have that wrong and they do have a sales tax! Thanks for correcting me!!!!!

would you say the same about California (earthquakes)
    They take more precautions then the south does about hurricanes, do I think they should have kept expanding L.A. and San Fran? No it is another disaster waiting to happen!!

the upper Mississippi flood plains (flooding)
    After the last round of flooding, FEMA told a lot of towns they would not receive any more government add if they rebuilt, and a lot of towns did not let people rebuild in areas that are prone to flooding!

Northeast (massive winter storms)
    Winter storms do not cause 10's of billions of dollars in damage.

the area of the country known as Tornado Alley
    Most tornadoes are a block wide and about a quarter of a mile wide and cause some damage, but damage is localized.

The area this can happen in covers 3/4 of the country.

And area's in Oklahoma, Kansas, Southern Iowa, Arkansas and northern Texas should have building regulations that make buildings able to withstand strong storms.

We have to start trying to building things with nature's wrath in mind! It would take a push from insurance companies, Federal Government, State & Local governments. And the average tax payer to see that we are risking lives and resources on things that can be avoided!

And a great place to get started, is by not letting New Orleans rebuild under the same conditions they built the city!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Cajun, I can truly understand your loyalty to NO, but common sense says that I agree with Whack on this one. Comparing a winter strom to wiping out an entire city (and then some) is not a fair comparison. And if they CHOOSE to rebuild, they should be on their own, no government aid WHEN it happens again. And it will happen again, might not be utill a hundred years, but it will. And then our grandchildren will have to suffer again because of our mistakes. That doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know if everyone understands the magnatude of what is happening with NO. It gone, everything is destroyed, every building made of wood, sheetrock, insulation, carpeting.... needs to be torn down and removed. After the water is gone and a building is standing there it might look salvagable, but it's not. The mold alone is enough to condemn a house.

Plus the toxic chemicals in the water will soak into everything! The part of the town that has standing water has to be ripped to the ground, and disposed of. Where are you going to put that much junk!!

The ground underneath the city how long for it to truly dry out and be able to build on it without it settling. Could be months or years!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

WOW. The devistation is UNBELIEVABLE! I don't believe this should be alowed to happen ever again.

Well, maybe this one! j/k of course :grin:

The problem with the truth, is that it's usually brutal.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast