Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Should New Orleans rebuild?

Should New Orleans be rebuilt?

They could rebuild the city at tens of billions of dollars in cost, and 2 years later be in the exact same position that they are in now.

You can not control mother nature forever. This has been predicted for decades, and I can not believe that the city of New Orleans was not better prepared for this!

They have pumps, but no separate power source for them! And now the pumps are about to go under water. So when they do get power back, they will be useless.

Could they raise the city 30 feet? If not, they should not rebuild there!

It is a flood plain, and it will flood again! I know that sounds cruel but it is the truth.

All housing that is built within 50 miles of the southern and south eastern coasts should be built to try and with stand a hurricane.

example: One of the storms that hit Florida last year, a reporter was staying on a small coastal island in a house that was designed to with stand hurricanes. When the storm was over no damage to the house he was staying in, and every other house on the small island was destroyed!

In California you have to build buildings that are earth quake resistant, why not along these costs where they continually get hit by hurricanes?

Sooner or later they are going to get hit by a hurricane or tropical depression, and to keep building the same type of houses and building and to pretend that they are not going to be destroyed is ridiculous!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Should New Orleans rebuild?

Gut reaction: No way. That may be insensitive, but for me, it just isn't (economically) rational to invest billions of dollars in a disaster area. The whole idea of building a town BELOW sea level when you're so close to the see just isn't a very good one.

I say withhold reconstruction dollars (but of course, help people with relief and relocation!) and basically abandon it to private investors. Heck, maybe disney will buy it and make it into a theme park.

The one problem with that proposal: NO is a pretty large seaport. All that shipping activity needs to be located somewhere suitable. I have to imagine that there are comparable places to pre 8/28/05 NO.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Hell no they shouldnt rebuild on the same spot. That place is a cereal bowl. It is unnatural to see a ship go by above your head. Now maybe some industry like docks and whatnot that could easily be rebuilt.
    No way that there should be housing of any kind rebuilt in that "ditch". Especially any subsidized housing. Those people do not have the means to make it from month to month much less perform their own evacuations a couple times a year.
    I understand that New Orleans is a tourist boon and some people have lived all of their lives there but they have to understand that for their own good that they can never go back. Unless of course they want to suffer the same disasters over and over. That would be totally illogical to me.

I don't think that sounds cruel at all. What is cruel is allowing people to have their world destroyed. I'm not a big fan of building in flood plains, period. I'm pretty sure everyone here is heartsick at the devistation like I am, but I get a little mad when I think of how we could've prevented this. I heard that the levees were only built to hold back a catagory 3 (dateline last night).

Though I think right now is probably not the time for blame. What we should do is try to figure out what we can do to help. I'm going to donate blood tonight and drop off stuff at the local shelter that's housing some refugees here in College Station.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

And its your insurance premiums going up to cover the cost of the rebuilding and insurance claims.

I always figured one day folks in the US wuld wake up and realize that we need to be smarter about our growth and homesteading. If it could flood, it will. You shouldn't be surprised that the Earth is just doing what its done for eons.

I feel sad for these folks who had not the foresight and believed in the levee hullabaloo. But those that rebuild on the same spots, in my mind, officially give up claim for pity. After all, burned once, shame on them, burned twice, shame on you.

Couldn't that whole area be stumped up to be shipping, etc, and move the heart of everything North a little ways....permit building residential and commercial there only? That would be too smart.

To Whack's point: any insurance company should provide that the rebuild must be hurricane resistant in its construction before releasing funds....any smart person there would think that's a no brainer!!

We can't help the past that leads to disaster, we learn and can only plan for a better future.

guzziVike is offline Training Camp

"TheAnimal93" wrote:
    No way that there should be housing of any kind rebuilt in that "ditch". Especially any subsidized housing. Those people do not have the means to make it from month to month much less perform their own evacuations a couple times a year.
    I understand that New Orleans is a tourist boon and some people have lived all of their lives there but they have to understand that for their own good that they can never go back. Unless of course they want to suffer the same disasters over and over. That would be totally illogical to me.
    Have to agree whole-heartedly. If the engineers did a "Cost Analysis" of the Levee's, that limited it to a level three hurricane and flood conditions: then they don't value human life enough for them to live there. There is higher ground, and higher foundations, and concrete to build with. If people want to live there, code should enforce sustainable conditions, just like the Keys and the Outer-Banks. If industry want to be there, fine, they can close shop and go home during storms. The risks of earthquakes and tornados strike without warning, but everyone can see a storm coming. They gambled with the levee and human life. It seems that people had a false sense of security, that somehow the risk was worth staying. If they build, and the Saints need to stay in Louisiana, it'd better be above Sea Level.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

As a native Louisianian (who was smart enough to leave), I am torn between the issue of whether or not to rebuild. I think that there will be rebuilding, but on a much smaller and more responsible scare. Only time will tell, but many people in Louisiana don't want to relocate permanently since it is the only home that they have ever known...and their strong emotional attachment to Louisiana overpowers the logical decision-making process that tells us that they would be much safer living somewhere else. The real issue is, how much did the government lie to these people regarding their safety over the years...and what is the government going to do about restoring some semblance of normalcy to these people's lives. Again, time will tell!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

They should not rebuild there. The city is sinking every year. It will only get worse. This will only happen again. What if the icebergs melt more, it will be even worse there.

I am sure though, that we will rebuild the levees higher and stronger and hope it doesn't happen again, but it will. It is a bad location for a city, they are losing to the gulf and the river every second.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"webmaster" wrote:
    To Whack's point: any insurance company should provide that the rebuild must be hurricane resistant in its construction before releasing funds....any smart person there would think that's a no brainer!!
    Well, the insurance companys can't withold payment based on what the person is going to do with the money. The contract was to insure the property already in existance. What they can try to do is structure their future rates in such a way that the extra cost of building in the hurrican-resistant features is less than the cost of insuring a building without those features.

I'm not sure that most folks have hurricane insurance. I know that flood insurance something that you have to buy extra. I don't think everyone has insurance in the first place. What is likely to happen is the government will issue low interest loans for people to rebuild...and I know the government can dictate how you use the money.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast