Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Should Kids Be Able to Graduate After 10th Grade?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20081107/us_time/shouldkidsbeabletograduateafter10thgrade

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Should Kids Be Able to Graduate After 10th Grade?

Some kids should

I know I wouldn't have been ready by then

And normally you move out and live away.. That's harder when ur 16

Mentally I know many who could have though

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

In my school district, from an knowledge standpoint, yes.

But they're not mature enough 99% of the time.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

I'm pretty sure MN allows HS students to attend local universities and get dual credit (HS and college) for classes taken there.
    I know my half-sister graduated high school with an associates degree from a local university in the Cities.
    That seems to be a more practical solution then having kids stress over some AP test.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    I'm pretty sure MN allows HS students to attend local universities and get dual credit (HS and college) for classes taken there.
    I know my half-sister graduated high school with an associates degree from a local university in the Cities.
    That seems to be a more practical solution then having kids stress over some AP test.
    I did that as well.
    My senior year I went to high school part time and college part time.
    With my college credits counting for both college and high school.
    I didn't do enough to walk out with my associates degree, but I thought it was a great program regardless.

Interesting topic. Here in NorCal, my school district has a school where kids can attend and earn an AA degree while also graduating from high school. If they are ready, and earn it, why not? However, the article asks if the proposed tests will be a good enough diagnostic as to where the kids end up, and the garbage started. The tests are supposed to tell if a kid goes to a "university or instead head to a tech school- with the latter almost certainly guaranteed lower future earning potential." Here is the whopper: "You know the kids sent in that direction are going to be from low income, less educated families while wealthy parents won't permit it." Really? Being wealthy does not make one smart, or even semi-functioning. See Paris Hilton. It's almost laughable. I went to CSU Chico and graduated with a BA in Anthropology. Guess what, I grew up on a rez and in some very poor parts of Utah. According to the article, I'm supposed to be stupid. Guess what I do now? I am a plumber. I served my time as an apprentice. I make a decent living. I know some pretty good guys who, while not the sharpest tools in the shed, make more money then alot of Docs around here. One guy is a welder who landed a contract making "bear-boxes" for the state. Catches bears around the national and state parks. Guy is ROLLING in money. Tech school IS NOT FOR STUPID LOSERS. Acedemia needs to get over itsself. kinda funny. You know how many dry-wallers, roofers, and electricians I've met who have colloge degrees? Three of my brothers work in the oil field. They work two weeks on and two weeks off. Not one of 'em makes less then $8000 a month, granted, they are high up, but they started out as the "Worm." Who's the smart guy now? ;D
    Tuco the world.....

WisconsinSucks is offline Asst. Coach

What's the rush?
    Stay young, enjoy high school.
    You only have 50+ years of working ahead of you.

Plus depending on the degree you finally decide to go for, the credits could be worthless.
    I started as a Math major and switched after awhile to an engineering degree in which the class criteria only allowed 3 electives for the 4 years, so needless to say I had a lot of extra credits.

But I am very well rounded!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Tech School isn't for losers anymore than the military -- contrary to what Kerry said a few years back.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

ah I remember leaving school at 16, starting an apprenticeship and attending Technical college.. worked for me
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    Interesting topic. Here in NorCal, my school district has a school where kids can attend and earn an AA degree while also graduating from high school. If they are ready, and earn it, why not? However, the article asks if the proposed tests will be a good enough diagnostic as to where the kids end up, and the garbage started. The tests are supposed to tell if a kid goes to a "university or instead head to a tech school- with the latter almost certainly guaranteed lower future earning potential." Here is the whopper: "You know the kids sent in that direction are going to be from low income, less educated families while wealthy parents won't permit it." Really? Being wealthy does not make one smart, or even semi-functioning. See Paris Hilton. It's almost laughable. I went to CSU Chico and graduated with a BA in Anthropology. Guess what, I grew up on a rez and in some very poor parts of Utah. According to the article, I'm supposed to be stupid. Guess what I do now? I am a plumber. I served my time as an apprentice. I make a decent living. I know some pretty good guys who, while not the sharpest tools in the shed, make more money then alot of Docs around here. One guy is a welder who landed a contract making "bear-boxes" for the state. Catches bears around the national and state parks. Guy is ROLLING in money. Tech school IS NOT FOR STUPID LOSERS. Acedemia needs to get over itsself. kinda funny. You know how many dry-wallers, roofers, and electricians I've met who have colloge degrees? Three of my brothers work in the oil field. They work two weeks on and two weeks off. Not one of 'em makes less then $8000 a month, granted, they are high up, but they started out as the "Worm." Who's the smart guy now? ;D
    Two things.

A: I believe they weren't saying low income students are dumb, but pointing out that lower income less influential family's kids would have a higher chance of being pointed that way as opposed to richer families with more money and power.

B: Although some people with tech education will go on to be very successful as a whole you can't argue with statistics.
    And people with more education make more money on average.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0883617.html The statistics of income for education level from 1990-2004.
    These numbers don't lie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast