Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should he or Shouldn't he

I am trying to remember if we have discussed this or not Do you think that folks like plummer should be able to wear Tillmans number in honor of???

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-stickysituationends&prov=knight&type=lgns

Comments welcome
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

diesavike is offline Rookie

I think if a player wants to honor a someone from the NFL under certain circumstances, he should be able to, especially in this case, and especially since he was a friend of Tillman's. I can understand the league has policies, but what is it hurting, nothing. I think the league blew this way out of proportion.
    Sell crazy someplace else...we're all stocked up here.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I agree with the NFL about celebrations, but not about this.

When Rozelle died didn't they all wear stickers on the helmet or was it patches for the full season.

I think 1 guy wearing a sticker to honor him is fine, he gave his life defending freedom.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

I understand why the NFL wants to keep players from sending personal messages with the decals on the helmets, of anything else on there uniforms. That would be a can of worms that could potentially be harmful to the league at some point. That also means that they can't selectively enforce the rules. Either everybody on a team wear the decal, or no one. I do think they should have made the decal a season-long thing. I actually hoped that they would paint the 40 yard lines red, white, and blue in every stadium as a method of honoring Tillman. I think that would have been much more visible than a small decal on the back of a helmet.

Having said all that, I am happy with the way they worked the situation out. For those of you who didn't read the article, Plummer did not get fined. He isn't going to wear the decal anymore, but he will film a PSA for the Tillman foundation, which will air in all the stadiums starting on Nov 14, just after Veteran's Day.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"josdin00" wrote:
    I actually hoped that they would paint the 40 yard lines red, while, and blue in every stadium as a method of honoring Tillman.
    Awesome idea...unobtrusive, yet omnipresent! A fitting tribute!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    I actually hoped that they would paint the 40 yard lines red, while, and blue in every stadium as a method of honoring Tillman.
    Awesome idea...unobtrusive, yet omnipresent! A fitting tribute!
    Absolutly :salute:

Thank everyone for the comments and is a fare situtatioin to a great man both plummer and tillman
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

PhxFan is offline Pro-Bowler

They were good friends at ASU. Put yourself into that perspective. Plummer makes alot of dough, he said he'd rather pay the fines to to the PT Foundation instead of the NFL. (not sure he has a say on that)
    I don't see the big deal with wearing a sticker on your helmet...the league should show a compassionate side, IMO!

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

The league should feel proud to have guys
    like Plummer wanting to do something
    to pay tribute to the likes of Pat Tillman.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

just out of curiosity, would whoever voted no like to tell us there reasons? I'm just curious.

pudgesoprano is offline Asst. Coach

I did not vote, and I dont care eithier way but the nfl does not want to make expetion(sp) for this,because say someone lost a brother in the war but he did not play in the nfl so they would not care about him paying tribute in any way.

It's not that the league doesn't honor Tillman. He has been officially honored/memorialized at the NFL draft, the Pro Football Hall of Fame ceremony, the season opener show, had his number officially retired, and every player wore his number on their helmets in Week 2. Every Cardinal may do so for the rest of the season. I'd say the league has done enough to allow us to honor the man.

They have rules, and if you don't like them, you don't have to play. If they start making exceptions, then you've got a problem on your hands. Namely, where do you stop? For example, let's say you let Plummer do his personal statement for Tillman. Then Korey Stringer's former College roomate Orlando Pace and close friend wanted to do the same. Did they let him? no. Why not..is Stringer less important than Tillman? What about when Johnny Unitas died, Why can't Manning wear high tops, but Plummer gets to make his statement?
    Here s the most important thing: You can NEVER lose your sense of humor. Without that, you ve got NOTHING. (Divinci) James Belushi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast