Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Should Congress get involved in policing pro sports?

In my opionion congress should not get involved unless it somehow concerns national defense. I feel they have no right doing what they have done to baseball this year and we need to send letters to our congessmen to stop this or they will ruin all pro sports.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I hate politics, so leave baseball alone unless it concerns national defense!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Not unless it involves something illegal. Then I'm all for it.

No, shouldn't they be worring about more important things like why the he!! I will have to pay over $2.50 a gallon for gas
    You republican whore!

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

No, Congress has better things to do, and the Government shouldn't be putting their nose in things like this.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

No. But I can see why they would with Baseball. They are wants name and it is turning into a witchhunt.

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

If their taking illegal stuff, or doing illegal activities than yeah, otherwise no way! Like PurpleRide said, go get the da|/|ned gas prices down. (Where the hell are those saudi-royal connections everyone said Bush had?)
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"sitandbehitski" wrote:
    If their taking illegal stuff, or doing illegal activities than yeah, otherwise no way! Like PurpleRide said, go get the da|/|ned gas prices down. (Where the hell are those saudi-royal connections everyone said Bush had?)
    He is busy lining their pockets with oil money...courtesy of the US consumers!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Viking_Spirit" wrote:
    No, Congress has better things to do, and the Government shouldn't be putting their nose in things like this.
    Yeah, like the emergency session that they had yesterday to circumvent the decision that the Florida state courts made in the Schiavo case...why don't they just pass laws where they can tell everyone how to run their lives...we could all just become slaves to the privileged few!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"jackyl" wrote:
    Not unless it involves something illegal. Then I'm all for it.
    I think that we are talking about the steroids, or atleast that is what brought this around.

I don't think it is the policing factor that the Gov. wants. They want the steroid use to be seen as an event that is irrevesable, not just a slap on the wrist. It is illegal (doctors don't prescribe steroids for sports enhancement) and it should be more of an issue. In the olympics, if you get caught it is all or nothing. Athletes young or old have to know that if they take it at any level, they are going to be punished in a manner that may end their career. Otherwise, it is I will use it until I get caught. It is an enabling effect. It lets them, it gives them an excuse to use. How many NFL players would be smoking weed if they said once and done policy?

I know in my High School, 15 years ago, there were kids that thought taking No-Doze or Motrin would help them play better. They were just experimenting. They had an illussion that athletes took drugs or that drugs inherrently make you better. What are adolescents going to do if they actually see someone like McGuire and Bonds deny the use. They are still going to have that illussion that steroids will make them better and if they could get their hands on some they(not all youth) would probably use it.

In the case of gambling, MLB said, it is wrong, it is like death. That is how it should be for these drugs. People have choices with clear cut consequenses, it makes their decisions easier. It also make the governing bodies decisions easier.

Heck, I almost sound like a (conservative) republican.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast