Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

should alcohol be illegal?

I think we have debated the pot issue to death, many people here are absolutely against legalizing it. I want to know who is going to stand up and say that all alcohol should be illegal.

Here are some stats I found on M.A.D.D. website to get us started.

Forty-one percent of 1,672 motorcycle operators who died in single-vehicle crashes in 2004 had BAC levels of .08 g/dl or higher.
    Sixty percent of those killed in single-vehicle crashes on weekend nights had BAC levels of .08 g/dl or higher. (NHTSA, 2005 )

#

In 2004, 30 percent of all fatal crashes during the week were alcohol-related, compared to 51 percent on weekends. For all crashes, the alcohol involvement rate was 5 percent during the week and 12 percent during the weekend.
    Alcohol-related fatalities are caused primarily by the consumption of beer (80 percent) followed by liquor/wine at 20 percent.
    (Runge, 2002)
    Alcohol is society's legal, oldest and most popular drug.
    (Narcotic Educational Foundation of America, 2002)

Alcohol is closely linked with violence.
    About 40 percent of all crimes (violent and non-violent) are committed under the influence of alcohol.
    (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 1998)

About three in every ten Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related crash at some time in their lives.
    (NHTSA, 2001)

Alcohol involvement — either for the driver or the pedestrian — was reported in 47 percent of the traffic crashes that resulted in pedestrian fatalities. Of the pedestrians involved, 33 percent had BAC levels of .08 g/dL or higher. Of the drivers involved, only 12 percent had BAC levels of .08 g/dL or higher. In 6 percent of the crashes, both the driver and the pedestrian had BAC levels of .08 g/dL or higher. (NHTSA, 2005)

* Thirty-eight percent of all pedestrians 16 years of age or older killed in traffic crashes in 2000 had alcohol in their system.
    (NHTSA, 2003)
    The availability of alcohol within a community can influence drinking rates and related problems (Toomey and Wagenaar, 2000)

Each year, college students spend approximately $5.5 billion on alcohol- more than they spend on soft drinks, milk, juice, tea, coffee and books combined. (Drug Strategies, 1999)

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: should alcohol be illegal?

Faulty comparisons between drug use and alcohol use, primarily for the fact that one is currently legal and the other isn't.
    Many of these statistics on alcohol have actually been used as an argument against legalizing pot.

That's all I am going to say on this subject, as I am too busy at work today to take the bait...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

If you wanted to you could find a problem with everything and make it illegal.
    In some states it's illegal to roatate a mattress but people do it anyway.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Faulty comparisons between drug use and alcohol use, primarily for the fact that one is currently legal and the other isn't.
    Many of these statistics on alcohol have actually been used as an argument against legalizing pot.

That's all I am going to say on this subject, as I am too busy at work today to take the bait...
    So you are against making alcohol illegal?

Json is offline GM

No matter how many stats I read, all I know is that weed is not only better for your health then excessive drinking but it also allows a person to not act like complete bafoon.
    Now personally I like both and I know most of you will look down at me but I don't care.
    Weed is something I do in moderation and something I truly enjoy.
    As for drinking I only do it when I have all my responsiblitys taken care of because I know after drinking I will not be in any shape to take care of those responsibilitys. It's all about your personal preference I guess.

To answer the question should alcohol be illegal?...No, but should it be illegal before weed....Yes!

Just one more fact

There were 16,885 alcohol-related fatalities in 2005 – 39 percent of the total traffic fatalities for the year.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Based upon danger to society and lives lost, alcohol should absolutely be illegal.

BUT...as we saw in the 1920s, once something is legal it is impossible to make it illegal again. Otherwise, you risk the rise of the blackmarket and a spike in organized crime.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

If tobacco were discovered today, it would be made illegal right away.

This discussion will lead nowhere either.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

I don't understand how jack daniels is legal. That's a fat bitch, a fight, and an arrest all in one bottle.

Property0f is offline Pro-Bowler

LEAGUE ORDERS TEAMS TO GET RID OF BOOZE

A league source tells us that the NFL has circulated a memo advising teams that there shall be no alcohol on team planes, in team facilities, or in team locker rooms.

It's unknown whether the memo specifically included the word "sidelines," so it still might be acceptable to spike the Gatorade.

The impact of this pronouncement will vary from team to team.
    Some teams already ban alcohol from the building.
    But plenty of guys still like to get their Busch on, and it's believed that the most recent memo was prompted by the recent DUI death of the St. Louis Cardinals pitcher whose name frankly escapes us at the moment because we pay zero attention to Major League Baseball.

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast